• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Warfin and tummy tuck

Kimberly

hi I has gastric bypass 26 months ago and also had open heart surgery 4/5 months ago with emergency cardiac bypass and mechanical aortic valve . I'm well and doing good , still get tired but I'm getting there . Is there any medic out here that will know if it possible for me to have surgery to remove the loose skin what with needing to be on Warfin , or am I pushing my luck
Or do I need to embrace my body and scars
. Don't get me wrong I'm so thankful for both surgery and the NHS .
I don't think I would have survived the cardiac surgery without the WlS . As I was very poorly and critical prior and also I bleed afterwards and they had to take me back and reopen me . I would love to have the skin removed

Paula Garner

They may advise you to stop the warfarin prior to surgery, due to your increased risk of bleeding. The best person to ask would be your GP, or the consultant who's going to do the surgery ?

Hannah2

wow! sounds like you have really been through it over the last few years! I cant answer on the warfarin, but I hope you continue to improve and feel better.

Kimberly

I m not sure I can stop the Warfin due to having a mechanical heart valve ? If my blood level drop and to thick clots form on the valve with bad consequences ? It dropped recently and rather than go back into hospital and put on IV Blood thinners I'm doing injections in my tummy until my blood level are up to therapeutic levels . It seems every time I go back into hospital I drop 5 pound because the food so terrible . I lost a stone with this last surgery but I don't look good and really need to gain 5/7 pounds . It tough because I'm no longer funded under the NHS . I do attend a wls support group in portsmouth and has been brilliant ,some medic and nurses attend for half an hour I have a chat with them .
My GP great but getting an appointment takes ages they are also two GP down . If I can't then I just love my body and invest in more suck in pants .

Kimberly

They may advise you to stop the warfarin prior to surgery, due to your increased risk of bleeding. The best person to ask would be your GP, or the consultant who's going to do the surgery ?
Thank Paula I was being a bit cheeky as I didn't want to spend £100 on consultant fees if it's going to be NO I'm not seeing my cardiologist for another 4 months . To be honest I'm not ready physically to take on another major surgery this year . I'm just exploring different possibilities . If it safe ( I know all surgery has risk) then I think I would consider it

Trish933

I had to come of the warfarin for my bypass, but they cover you with injections to keep the blood thin. Then I had to stay in hospital until the INR was back into range afterwards. No complications or problems whatsoever - I day go for it and trust your Doctors!

Kimberly

Thank you , for your replies , there's a plastic surgeon popping into our support group this Thursday I wonder if he tell me or will I have to pay for a consultation .

Kimberly

Spoke to the plastic surgeon who thought Warfin wouldn't be a problem and that it's better since now my hearts been fixed , my problem is that I don't know if emotionally and physically I got it in me for another big surgery at this Moment in time . Since my by pass I had two major surgery in two years . I am finding it harder to recover . So I'm going to allow my self to heal fully before I do any thing else

countrywench

I'm just about to have my band done and I've seriously thought about the loose skin I'm going to get .
At 53 I think I'm going to feel at ease with it , as long as it doesn't clap when I walk lol !
No idea how old you are but , who do you need to lose loose skin for ? This is what I would ask myself ..
It's a total personal choice , but you also have medical factors to take into consideration ..
I hope you have a good support network to help you through
Mindy
Xxxx