• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Funding for tummy tuck on NHS

Dizzy79

Hi i'm new here,but have been reading Threads for a while,and i must say that you have all done so well and i have enjoyed the read.
I am here because in 2007 i lost 16 stone in 9 months on my own.
Obviously going from a size 30 to a size then 0 left me with skin around my abdomen,under arms and saggy breasts.
I wasn't to fussed on having surgery on the other parts however my tummy really does need it.
My GP referred me for funding at our local PCT a few months later id heard nothing,so went back to my GP who said i'm sorry but its been refused :(
if i'm honest at that time i didn't even know anything about the PCT or who they are,so just accepted it.
Since 2007 i went on to have 2 more children bringing my total to 3 babies,which as you can imagine i put some weight on 10 stone to be exact :/ and lost it all in 10 months,then i got pregnant again,n this time gained the 10 stone back,and then lost it again in 10 months.
my baby is now 22 months so I've no plans for more children,but my tummy is now in a worse state than after the 16 stone loss.
I saw the nurse at my surgery a few weeks ago, and i happened to mention my skin,she asked to see,and she gasped! she said my word that DOES need removing,so off i go again to my GP who said well i know that they are really strict on funding tummy tucks,but we shall give it ago,i took 4 pictures so the Dr could send them off,i had them blown up to large prints lol this was 4 weeks ago,and im sitting here worried sick ill be turned down again :( i rang my GP's surgery last week,to see if id gotten a reply,she said that they had received a letter back saying they have received the referral and aim to respond within 25 days,now i this normal? surely they would just say NO,so maybe does this mean they are considering it? i'm sure someone on here will be able to shed some light on it.
Thank you x

Last edited:
Pictureset2070-1.jpg

Me before weight loss

207991_2002760311666_1323335131_2376963_2866507_n.jpg

Me after ( now )
310924_2387705335051_1323335131_2879882_5060370_n.jpg

Me now

Hello and welcome Dizzy79. First of all well done on the weight loss (several times!) and well done for keeping it off. All of who have had wls on the NHS are aware that we will not get /extremely unlikely to get apronectomies on the NHS, but the situation may be different for those like yourself who have not already had an NHS quota to help with weight loss.

All the PCTs work differently, and take different amounts of time to make their decisions, especially at this time of the year when there are going to be fewer review meetings where they make the funding allocations.

I wish you every success in your funding quest - it sounds like you have a supportive gp team; keep us updated!

Really play on depression and how your body is affecting your life or lack of it!
Best of luck.Maz x

I hope you get good news hun, most PCT's will only do it for Ambulatory difficulties. That's what you have to convince them of.
Good luck and well done on shifting that much weight on your own. xx

Hi hun well done on ur weight loss ;) I really hope u get ur funding good luck ;) x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks ladies :) the only 2 reasons that our pct has set out in there guideline/criteria are for funding abdominosplasty (tummy tuck). If a patient fits the criteria outlined in our Cosmetic Surgery for Body Contouring Policy then funding would be considered.
“This states that funding will only be considered if the loose skin is profound and is also causing problems such as intetrigo – a rash that is resistant to all other forms of treatment.”
not sure what they mean by profound :/ sticking out ?
if im refused this time,im not sure what else i can do,i thought of sending them a personal letter im desperate x

well done on your weight loss i hope you get the funding you need hunx

wow well done hun you really look fab carnt belive how much weight you have lost you have done yourself proud i really hope you get your funding for tummy tuck your truely deserve it good luck xx

You've done amazing with your weight loss - if anyone should get a tummy tuck then surely you should! Play up the depression and how the excess skin is affecting your mobility to the point of reducing quality of life... Fingers crossed x

Thats great, congratulations xx

that is brilliant news....so get the letter across to your surgeon asap....I am having mine in march sometime they are lifting my bum too!!

Congrats :) x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

hi dizzy,
OMG what an amazing weight on and off journey you have had. you have done fantastically well to shift the weight again. how on earth did you do it? you must have the willpower of a saint!!
you surely deserve to get funding my love - keep at 'em.
good luck to you
jan xx

Judy thats wonderful! you will be a new woman! very pleased for you x
Hi dizzy thanks so much I am thrilled very excited and nervous all rolled up in one lol be glad to get rid of all the horrible side effects of teh excess skin.....good luck with your journey to a TT are you applying for funding ?

Back