• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight gain

Andie1962

Hello everyone
I had my sleeve op 6 years ago and initially lost 5 stone.
However over the last few years the weight has crept up again and I have put on 2 stone.
I am really scared that I will eventually put all my weight back on again .
I had my op at the uclh but not been to see them for ages as last time I went the consultant was very rude saying to me that I should control myself otherwise I will get back to square one.
Do any of you have the same issues after a gastric sleeve with weight gain?
How do I get back on track or is there any other surgeries available to make my sleeve smaller?
Feel really despondent.

Thankyou

Andi

Bling Babe

Hello everyone
However over the last few years the weight has crept up again and I have put on 2 stone.
I had my op at the uclh but not been to see them for ages as last time I went the consultant was very rude saying to me that I should control myself otherwise I will get back to square one.
How do I get back on track or is there any other surgeries available to make my sleeve smaller?
Feel really despondent.

Thankyou

Andi
I don’t have an answer but I feel for you, I’m only 2 years out having a bypass and lost 8.5 stone to reach target within a year, this year though I have gained a stone, I must admit I look better in the face, not so gaunt and drawn but my clothes are tight and I want to get rid of half a stone but I’m struggling and scared. Good luck x

Sarnie

Hello everyone
Feel really despondent.

Thankyou

Andi
I had gastric bypass, so not the same as you, could you reach out to your hospital team again and ask to see someone else, they are supposed to be there to help you. The only thing I can suggest is going back to basics, eat healthy, log everything you eat, meal plan and prepare food in advance, so it's ready to go, I find that stops me grabbing the not so healthy option. Good luck x

OkieGirl

I had gastric bypass, so not the same as you, could you reach out to your hospital team again and ask to see someone else, they are supposed to be there to help you. The only thing I can suggest is going back to basics, eat healthy, log everything you eat, meal plan and prepare food in advance, so it's ready to go, I find that stops me grabbing the not so healthy option. Good luck x

I agree with Sarnie. I'm a year out from surgery and have really started paying close attention to what I'm doing and recording everything. Start with the basics, examine everything you're doing and eating and see if you can see any patterns. Look at whether you're getting in your exercise, if so do you need to up your game or change your routine somehow? Have you started stress eating? Are your macros good or are you getting too many carbs and not enough protein? It's so easy to let bad habits back in. Having said that, I did see the other day on the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery's website regarding weight regain that:

As many as 50 percent of patients may regain a small amount of weight (approximately 5 percent) two years or more following their surgery. However, longitudinal studies find that most bariatric surgery patients maintain successful weight-loss long-term. ‘Successful’ weight-loss is arbitrarily defined as weight-loss equal to or greater than 50 percent of excess body weight. Often, successful results are determined by the patient, by their perceived improvement in quality of life. In such cases, the total retained weight-loss may be more, or less, than this arbitrary definition. Such massive and sustained weight reduction with surgery is in sharp contrast to the experience most patients have previously had with non-surgical therapies.

So it's not unusual to have some fluctuation over the years, so you may not have any real reason to worry, but it never hurts to take stock of our progress and habits and implement changes before it's too late.

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @Andie1962 im four years out from my sleeve after conversion from a band. I've gained a couple of pounds which I try not to add to by counting calories and exercising.

It sounds like your experience with the consultant wasn't a positive one and its not very helpful when people try to shame you.

Do you still have your post op eating guide and do you think its the quantity or type of food that's caused the gain. If you can identify which it is, you can try and do something about it?

Tracking on myfitnesspal is a good starting point, it'll allow you to see how many calories your consuming and if you have a fitness tracker too, you can compare calories in vs calories out.

The option surgery wise would be to convert to a bypass, the sleeve was traditionally the first stage to an eventual bypass for very overweight patients. Or there's the fobi ring too.

Keep posting and let us know how you're getting on x

Lalapo

@Andie1962 I’m 11 months out and this month is the first one I have gained 2lbs. TBH I have been ill and I probably overate. But it’s a shock. Like you I’m going to start logging all my food and start some exercise. Good luck. Keep us updated how you get on