• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Well I got my wish

tesmaralda

Som of you who have met me in person will know that I wanted to be a dumper so that I wouldn't be tempeted to eat sweet things and sabotage myself. This was my biggest downfall and at certain times of the month I would live on chocolate.

Well it appears that I am indeed a dumper and the slightest amount of sugar will cause me to dump.

My 1st experience of this was in hospital when I was given a fortijuice drink which is basically sugar in a bottle. Used for weight gain in those patients who have rpd unwanted weight loss. I felt quite poorly and ended up slepping for nearly 2 hours and was extremley tearful and sorry for myself for the rest of the day,

2nd time was yesterday had a bbq and as we had guest I did some sauces and one was a mint yoghurt dip. I always add sweet chilli sauce to mine and never measure it just go by taste. I put sweetener in it as I thought it will be ok to have a little if it went doen well. I used a 500g tub of yoghurt and probably about 1tbsp of chilli sauce. Until I got the mint sauce ratio sorted I was dipping my finger in and tasting it. Well about half an hour later I thought I was going to be sick and yes I had to have a sleep as I had dumped. its a good job my guest are fashionably late otherwise I would have snoring my head off when they arrived. So from now on I will be paying even more attention to ingredients and hidden sugars.

Hi Terri
I bet every one will learn what not to eat after they have had one dump . I know I`v got a sweet tooth and when I get my surgery I want fancy taking one . But more than likely I will . The nurse I seen said if you take one you`ll not want one again and they can be very scary . Good luck and take care .
MARGARET XX

Hi Terri, I guess the whole dumping thing would be enough to make sugar a poison to you. What are the physical reasons for this?

So sorry Terri that you dumped. But glad that you wanted it because it looks like you are very sensitive.

Quetiapina, here is an explanation of dumping:

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass and Dumping Syndrome

Dumping syndrome is a common side effect after Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass (RNYGB) surgery. About 85% of gastric bypass patients will experience dumping syndrome at some point after surgery. The symptoms can range from mild to severe.

Dumping usually occurs due to poor food choices. It is related to the ingestion of refined sugars (including high fructose corn syrup) or high glycemic carbohydrates. It can also occur with dairy products, some fats, and fried foods. These foods rapidly empty from the gastric pouch into the small intestine which triggers a cascade of physiologic events.

The effect of dumping is twofold. It is both good and bad. The benefit is that if dumping occurs after eating these foods the patient is less likely to eat that food again. It is a built in mechanism that says, “I shouldn’t have eaten it the first time, and I definitely won’t eat it again.” This is called negative reinforcement. The fact is these foods will interfere with long-term weight loss and should not be eaten anyway.

The bad news is that dumping makes you feel awful; it can be confused with other problems; it is scary and sometimes difficult to manage; and it may have some short-term physiologic consequences.

There are two types of dumping:

1. Early dumping which occurs 30-60 minutes after eating and can last up to 60 minutes. Symptoms include sweating, flushing, light headedness, tachycardia, palpitations, desire to lie down, upper abdominal fullness, nausea, diarrhea, cramping, and active audible bowels sounds.
2. Late dumping which occurs 1-3 hours after eating. Symptoms are related to reactive hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) which include sweating, shakiness, loss of concentration, hunger, and fainting or passing out.

Early dumping occurs as a result of rapid emptying of sugars or carbohydrates from the gastric pouch into the small intestine which causes the release of hormones (gut peptides) that effect blood pressure, heart rate, skin flushing and intestinal transit, leading to a light-headed, rapid heart rate and flushing sensation often accompanied by diarrhea. Late dumping symptoms are related to increased insulin after oral glucose (sugar) with subsequent hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

The diagnosis of dumping syndrome is primarily made by obtaining a history of the presence of classic symptoms related to food intake. Management of early dumping can be relatively straightforward. First, the symptoms should be discussed with the Bariatric Surgeon. Dietary compliance with avoidance of refined sugars, high glycemic carbohydrates, or other foods that may be associated with the syndrome would be the primary treatment.

Management of late dumping that persists in spite of the above dietary measures may be treated with a small amount of sugar (such as one-half glass of orange juice) about one hour after a meal, which may prevent the attack. Medications such as Acarbose or Somatostatin may be helpful if still symptomatic despite dietary changes. -. One should consider the rare possibility of insulinoma or neisidioblastosis of the pancreas if late dumping remains refractory to medical management.

In summary, although bothersome and sometimes worrisome, dumping syndrome is not a life-threatening problem. Repetitive patient education about what to eat and what not to eat can manage early and late dumping syndrome. Also patients need to learn about and read basic nutrition labels. The benefit is that it teaches patients quickly that certain foods and additives cannot be tolerated. Patient compliance and commitment to long-term follow-up are mandatory.

Nic:p

I had store baught mash today... and the first attempt, i got most ofit down, although after 3 teaspoons full i had the biggest pain in my chest, that went in 5 mins... (baring in mind i only have 2 table spoons max anyway)

the 2nd time however, 3 teaspoons full and that was it, i was done, it hurt like hell! again stopped after 5 mins... but chuff me it hurt...

i dunno if it was a dump per say... or just it getting a wee bit stuck... but it was horrible!!

.x.

Som of you who have met me in person will know that I wanted to be a dumper so that I wouldn't be tempeted to eat sweet things and sabotage myself. This was my biggest downfall and at certain times of the month I would live on chocolate.

Well it appears that I am indeed a dumper and the slightest amount of sugar will cause me to dump.

My 1st experience of this was in hospital when I was given a fortijuice drink which is basically sugar in a bottle. Used for weight gain in those patients who have rpd unwanted weight loss. I felt quite poorly and ended up slepping for nearly 2 hours and was extremley tearful and sorry for myself for the rest of the day,

2nd time was yesterday had a bbq and as we had guest I did some sauces and one was a mint yoghurt dip. I always add sweet chilli sauce to mine and never measure it just go by taste. I put sweetener in it as I thought it will be ok to have a little if it went doen well. I used a 500g tub of yoghurt and probably about 1tbsp of chilli sauce. Until I got the mint sauce ratio sorted I was dipping my finger in and tasting it. Well about half an hour later I thought I was going to be sick and yes I had to have a sleep as I had dumped. its a good job my guest are fashionably late otherwise I would have snoring my head off when they arrived. So from now on I will be paying even more attention to ingredients and hidden sugars.
Never mind Terri at least it has been a lesson learned - hope your ok now xx

So sorry Terri that you dumped. But glad that you wanted it because it looks like you are very sensitive.

Quetiapina, here is an explanation of dumping:

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass and Dumping Syndrome

Dumping syndrome is a common side effect after Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass (RNYGB) surgery. About 85% of gastric bypass patients will experience dumping syndrome at some point after surgery. The symptoms can range from mild to severe.

Dumping usually occurs due to poor food choices. It is related to the ingestion of refined sugars (including high fructose corn syrup) or high glycemic carbohydrates. It can also occur with dairy products, some fats, and fried foods. These foods rapidly empty from the gastric pouch into the small intestine which triggers a cascade of physiologic events.

The effect of dumping is twofold. It is both good and bad. The benefit is that if dumping occurs after eating these foods the patient is less likely to eat that food again. It is a built in mechanism that says, “I shouldn’t have eaten it the first time, and I definitely won’t eat it again.” This is called negative reinforcement. The fact is these foods will interfere with long-term weight loss and should not be eaten anyway.

The bad news is that dumping makes you feel awful; it can be confused with other problems; it is scary and sometimes difficult to manage; and it may have some short-term physiologic consequences.

There are two types of dumping:

1. Early dumping which occurs 30-60 minutes after eating and can last up to 60 minutes. Symptoms include sweating, flushing, light headedness, tachycardia, palpitations, desire to lie down, upper abdominal fullness, nausea, diarrhea, cramping, and active audible bowels sounds.
2. Late dumping which occurs 1-3 hours after eating. Symptoms are related to reactive hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) which include sweating, shakiness, loss of concentration, hunger, and fainting or passing out.

Early dumping occurs as a result of rapid emptying of sugars or carbohydrates from the gastric pouch into the small intestine which causes the release of hormones (gut peptides) that effect blood pressure, heart rate, skin flushing and intestinal transit, leading to a light-headed, rapid heart rate and flushing sensation often accompanied by diarrhea. Late dumping symptoms are related to increased insulin after oral glucose (sugar) with subsequent hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

The diagnosis of dumping syndrome is primarily made by obtaining a history of the presence of classic symptoms related to food intake. Management of early dumping can be relatively straightforward. First, the symptoms should be discussed with the Bariatric Surgeon. Dietary compliance with avoidance of refined sugars, high glycemic carbohydrates, or other foods that may be associated with the syndrome would be the primary treatment.

Management of late dumping that persists in spite of the above dietary measures may be treated with a small amount of sugar (such as one-half glass of orange juice) about one hour after a meal, which may prevent the attack. Medications such as Acarbose or Somatostatin may be helpful if still symptomatic despite dietary changes. -. One should consider the rare possibility of insulinoma or neisidioblastosis of the pancreas if late dumping remains refractory to medical management.

In summary, although bothersome and sometimes worrisome, dumping syndrome is not a life-threatening problem. Repetitive patient education about what to eat and what not to eat can manage early and late dumping syndrome. Also patients need to learn about and read basic nutrition labels. The benefit is that it teaches patients quickly that certain foods and additives cannot be tolerated. Patient compliance and commitment to long-term follow-up are mandatory.

Excellent info Nic - this should be turned into a Sticky for all of those by-passers who are now aware of what 'dumping' is x

terri I'm the same with sugars, only a small amount sets me off, even now. Trust me, it's a good thing ;)

if i so much get a whiff of sugar it sends me light headed ive not dumped to date but know i would if i didnt watch what i eat. like you say terri its thoes unexpected hidden ones that are usually the ones that bite. Hope you had a good BBQ with your guests.
hc

Once I'd recovered it was good I did the cooking as usual and for a change only burnt 1 burger which was the first one.

I know it is a good thing that I dump as I will not be tempted by chocolate or sweets ever again as even the mild dump is unpleasant and can't risk it happening when its just me and my 2 year old.

I love sweet chilli sauce and have had a spread on it on a peice of cheese on toast so wasnt a lot but it was yum. Wont bother squeezing it all ove my salad this side of my op lol like I use to

Afte watching that poor woman dumping in hospital after the ice cream nothing sweet is ever going to pass my lips again...

Its not nice having a Dump, but I do think its a good thing as it really does teach you not to go there, I had a Strange one last night, I made roast beef,New potatoes, spring cabbage and Carrots & Turnip mashed, I put the tiniest knob of clover lighter butter on my potatoes and tucked in. It was lovely, but as soon as I finished, i had to run to the bathroom and half of it came back up, This doesn't usually happen because I have had it loads of times, only with a little butter in the mash potatoes, so it just goes to show, it can happen even if you have had it before and its not bothered you.

Nic - that was a great post. Where do you find all this info? I'm still on my liquids - almost 3 weeks post op. I'm looking forward to something else very soon... BUT no sugar!! x x

I had store baught mash today... and the first attempt, i got most ofit down, although after 3 teaspoons full i had the biggest pain in my chest, that went in 5 mins... (baring in mind i only have 2 table spoons max anyway)

the 2nd time however, 3 teaspoons full and that was it, i was done, it hurt like hell! again stopped after 5 mins... but chuff me it hurt...

i dunno if it was a dump per say... or just it getting a wee bit stuck... but it was horrible!!

.x.

What you described is not a dump it is probably one of two things:

1. You ate too quickly. I have done that and my pouch says 'whoa there' and I get that tight pain that eases in a few minutes. Sometimes this is caused by swallowing too much air with the bite. This is easy to do with pureed foods like mash since you can't really chew it!

2. You are reaching full and your pouch is warning you not to have more. Full, the real kinda is often novel to a pos-opper, we are used to eating past full without much discomfort so learning our new full that can come a few bites into a meal can be very odd. You will get more sensitive as you go and can usually avoid the elephant on the chest feeling.

Nic - that was a great post. Where do you find all this info? I'm still on my liquids - almost 3 weeks post op. I'm looking forward to something else very soon... BUT no sugar!! x x

I usually look back to old posts to find info, this one came from Richard/Silver Surfer. It seems like we have the same questions crop every so often and chances are that someone out there has posted an excellent answer. I guess you could call me an avid recycler!

Nic:D

It dont think it was a full feeling, it happened after 3 teaspoons, and they were not full teaspoons, just bits on the end... and i can manage more than that normally, and i make sure i eat verrrrry slow... i think it was cos it was store baught, i added more milk to thin it out, but when i made mash the other day i didnt add any butter, just a bit of low fat philly and milk and it went down really easily...

I have to admit though, im not feelin very good, i started to feel very sick through the night, and now have a cracking headache and im struggling to get liquids down! :(

.x.

Back