• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What have you given up...

Lostinmy30's

I realised yesterday morning in the shower...where I do my best thinking...I have dropped alot of old food habits without even realising and wondered what you guys have given up..maybe you didn't even realise you had?

I always had a chinese takeaway on a friday - now I can't manage rice I don't..I usually make a baked potato and don't have any of the grumpy withdrawal behaviour I would have had before.
KFC was my drug of choice...at least once a week..not any more..I have soup or cheese and crackers at lunch time.
Greggs, Mcdonalds, Burger King.......can't remember the last time I was there and I was there at least once a fortnight before.
Full Breakfasts......nope too much for me now...I like granola or something with eggs.
Coke Zero......really don't miss it...its Ribena light now. Although I have the odd craving for diet irn bru....
So from being a junk food addict with at least 3 fast food lunches a week and one take away dinner a week.....I don't have any of it anymore :D I must be spending all the money on clothes lol

Great post :D I was a junk food addict too! KFC, OMG I absolutely LOVED KFC!!!!!!! Not been for approx 6 weeks, total curry addict.......none for 6 weeks again! I still miss at the moment but not as much as I did.....old addictions that I will beat :D XX

What is it about KFC.... my weakness too....

I've not had this for four months.... I used to say well it's chicken... so it should be ok... how wrong was I!

Love and hugs xxx

Ooh I expect a telling off now...I still have KFC and Mcdonalds from time to time!! At KFC I have 1 boneless strip, well, usually around half of it and very well chewed, pre-op I could have eaten an entire bucket myself!!! At McDonalds I either nibble a nugget or have a garlic and herb wrap, though now I have restored my capacity I can only manage a bite and am sooo full. I do see them both as a treat rather than a regular thing.
I dont feel too guilty about that though because I have given up crisps now (they were sneaking in far too often!) and since the operation I havent touched any chocolate or biscuits or cakes or pastry and I dont intend to, so on balance, taking everything into account, I dont feel that my little nibble of a stripper or a nugget is a bad thing.
So yes, I have given up chocolate, sweets, cakes, pastry and fizzy drinks. Last week I did resent it a bit actually, I had a moment of thinking "I want to be 'normal' please" for the first time in a year, but then I gave myself a mental slap and said to myself "what IS normal to you Steph, normal for you is fat, you dont want to be fat again so you DONT want to feel normal do you?!" and I have been fine since then, doesnt bother me anymore.
So now I am back to not caring about what Ive given up, Im glad to be strong enough to not have those things.
Steph xx

We don't really want to be eating chicken saturated in fat Jac... now do we.... it's greasy.... it's so fattening and it's so bad for us... and I'm sticking to my story.... lol.... xxx

Its not that I miss what I have given up...its quite the opposite...I am stunned that I have done it lol

If someone had told me this time last year how much my habits have changed I would not have been able to believe them...it's all gooooooooooooood ....

You have done so well and long may it continue!
It's a great achievement! xxx

Good for you Steph, I think its great that you have a little bit of KFC and McD's now and again as a treat! Id like to get to this stage one day.....be strong enough to just have a tint bit and be happy with that :D
I was also a crisp addict, 2 packets of Walkers Chicken crisp almost every night :eek: Not had any for over 6 weeks and hardly missed them atall. Not had chocolate, sweets, cake or pastry since I was diagnosed with Diabetes back at the beginning of the year :D Im such a good girl, I reckon someone should buy me a nice shiny Jaguar :D XX

Ano I wish I had your resolve Steph...I tried 2 chicken wings about 2 months ago and yakked them up in the car park .....I have no restraint...

we still have takeaway two or three times a week because of the annoying hours my daughter comes home from work and uni, but all i ever have is literally a bite of whatever she is having, never order anything for me. if she has a big pizza, i'll have a slice of the pepperoni with cheese on it. if she has korma i have a piece of the chicken and chew chew chew. kebab meat makes me really ill every time no matter how much i chew so i just have a bit of her salad, but there is always room for a bit of egg foo yung :)

because of my disabilities i can't cook anymore so was always reliant on rounds of sandwiches morning noon and night and GOD only knows how I miss bread still. doorsteps of strong cheddar and raw onion mmmmmmmmmm. cheese just isn't the same even with cracker or ryvita but hey ho, as needs must!

I would have KFC but my pouch hates it and i dont see the point having it and taking the skin off.
I have the odd chinese, but never McDonalds, Pizza Hut or Burger King....wouldn't be able to deal with the bread buns.....And i loved all these.
I havn't eaten chocolate at all the thought makes me feel sick.
I eat crisps though once or twice a week they are too easy to eat, which worries me xx

I gave up chocolate, sweets, and cake at Lent, 5 months pre-surgery. On the whole I don't miss them, though strangely enough I was craving a fruit pastille the other day. I would puke on chocolate now, even if I didn't dump (which I do).

I used to LOVE Mc Donalds, currys and chinese. I've had a tiny bit of curry, but nothing unhealthy...don't think I'll be eating chinese, I don't fancy it at all. Definitely not McD's...yack!
And i've never really liked KFC! :)

Was really interested to read this thread as a pre oper I still love all these foods especially mcdonalds but for about 3 wks now I ain't touched it iv had a kebab on a night out and felt guilty the next day but fingers crossed I can try and wean myself of all these foods b4 my op so it's not such a shock wen I carnt eat them and wanna, my downfall is biscuits I so wanna eat some but I ain't iv been buying go a heads and ww ones!!
The one thing iv had to give up on is mayonnaise I would literally eat this with everything pizza, chips, salad, spag bol I'll literally eat it with anything so iv stopped it and I miss it more than the takeaways and mcdonalds x

Takeaways in general ..still make curry / stir fries etc at home but it's a lot less swimming in oil and much much nicer home made :)
I have everything in moderation now instead of humungous portions ..so I eat a tiny fraction of what I would have previously.
I don't eat chips as they get stuck and not really bothered about them...not a lot of pasta and potatoes as they block anything more useful going down.
I am trying to learn some more low fat healthy versions of my fave foods at the moment and I do prefer it to full fat oily originals.
I have ice cream once in a while now rather than every week.

Kfc and a whopping kebab with mayo, chilli sauce and salad, coke,

Oh dear u can see why i needed WLS!!!

xxx

Great post and well done you!

I am only 5 weeks post op tomrrow, and so far I have given up anything sweet, fast food, fizzy drinks, alcohol.

I don't really miss any of them, I nibbled the tiniest (like 2mm square) bit of the edge of my 8 year old kitkat last night to see what it tasted like to me now and I really really did not like it! so thats me done, no more chocolate for me, I am SO pleased!

I do feel low at times, and shopping for food to me got to me.....nothing "naughty" foodwise, just that I will never be able to eat normally again, its a bit of a head shock to me still at times, I confess! I also can't get it out of my head, no matter how positive I am about the op, and my progress, that I am a failure for letting my weight get to such a stage that this op was the only option left for me. People tell me how proud they are, how brave I am, how well I am doing and I am embarrassed really, as I feel like a bit fat failure!

Great post and well done you!

I am only 5 weeks post op tomrrow, and so far I have given up anything sweet, fast food, fizzy drinks, alcohol.

I don't really miss any of them, I nibbled the tiniest (like 2mm square) bit of the edge of my 8 year old kitkat last night to see what it tasted like to me now and I really really did not like it! so thats me done, no more chocolate for me, I am SO pleased!

I do feel low at times, and shopping for food to me got to me.....nothing "naughty" foodwise, just that I will never be able to eat normally again, its a bit of a head shock to me still at times, I confess! I also can't get it out of my head, no matter how positive I am about the op, and my progress, that I am a failure for letting my weight get to such a stage that this op was the only option left for me. People tell me how proud they are, how brave I am, how well I am doing and I am embarrassed really, as I feel like a bit fat failure!

I often feel like this, especially after op 2 and all my family/loved ones went through worrying about me. BUT...kick that thought out Mrs! You are NOT a failure! It takes a whole lot of courage, determination and grit to go through what we've gone through....we have to REALLY want it, because otherwise we wouldn't do it, given what we have to give up......

.......and last time in hospital I saw someone who obviously DID NOT WANT IT badly enough, being refused her op because she'd gained a STONE in the pre-op period!:eek::eek::eek::eek: She practically skipped out of that ward, no heart ache for her! I would have been devastated...NO, scratch that, I wouldn't because I wouldn't have done it. I WANTED this op! And SO DID YOU!

As for never being normal again....kick that out too! Last night I indulged in my favourite meal...ok a healthy version but still....a chicken taco! Te only thing missing of it was he salad, and that's because I haven't tried salad yet.
The difference? I had one, broken into 2 halves, eaten slowly....rather than 6 or 8!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

It was delicious, I ate it slowly, I savoured every bite...and I felt...NORMAL!!!!!

BUT....I'm losing weight! Result! We can have almost it all! Normal people who are slim do, and so can we....it just takes time! :)
rant over.........:D:p:eek:

Big, huge, humougous hugs. xxxxxxxxx
Charis xxx

Well done on kicking some of your old eating habbits into touch!

I dont eat meat so KFC and McDonalds were not my thing. Pre op I gave up bread, and my downfalls of rice and pasta and havent had bread or rice since my op. I have had egg noodles and the smallest amount really fills me up now!

I love spicy food and have the occasional take away but can only manage half of the meal as opposed to all of it plus rice, nan, popadoms etc, etc ...........

Feels good to be in control and full doesn't it? x x

Chocolates and cakes
KFC, Burger King, & Pizzahut stuff MMmmmm so good
Chippy stuff especially pudding chips peas and gravy with a barmcake and meat pie yummy
Greggs pasties and pies
Bread especially crusty French sticks
Cooked breakfasts
Carbonated drinks
Potatoes

Lots of other great tasting stuff too I don't doubt :cry::cry:

Back