• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What have you given up...

Great post and well done you!

I am only 5 weeks post op tomrrow, and so far I have given up anything sweet, fast food, fizzy drinks, alcohol.

I don't really miss any of them, I nibbled the tiniest (like 2mm square) bit of the edge of my 8 year old kitkat last night to see what it tasted like to me now and I really really did not like it! so thats me done, no more chocolate for me, I am SO pleased!

I do feel low at times, and shopping for food to me got to me.....nothing "naughty" foodwise, just that I will never be able to eat normally again, its a bit of a head shock to me still at times, I confess! I also can't get it out of my head, no matter how positive I am about the op, and my progress, that I am a failure for letting my weight get to such a stage that this op was the only option left for me. People tell me how proud they are, how brave I am, how well I am doing and I am embarrassed really, as I feel like a bit fat failure!

Sorry, what do you mean by I will never be able to eat normally again?

I eat the same as my family and they aren't normal but they eat fairly normally.... You will eat normally again just lot smaller quantities and some things may not 'like' you anymore.

Pre Op
I used to go the chippy for a take out at least once a week, never said no to Indian takeaway, love pizza, chinese was once in a month probably as i prefer hot n spicy indian food more... Kfc was once in a blue moon but i enjoyed it when i chose to have it...

Post Op
I go to the chip shop occasionally for Trev and the girls - sometimes i might pinch one or two chips but usually i have a piece of tinned roe or a pie. I have had indian takeaway - dry chicken tikka starter was delish, have had ready made curries from the supermarket. Chinese food - in all honesty the bits i've tried twice haven't agreed with me, i think it was the rice swelling in my pouch but it was horrid all through the night... Kfc i have not tried but if i was there with the girls and there was no other option i'd probably have a wrap or something. McDonalds, i did have half one of their little wraps recently, couldn't manage anymore! I've been known to share a pudding or have an egg custard tart from the bakers (kidding myself it's protein).

Pre op - I'd have had at least one bar of chocolate a day... Post op - I very rarely think about it yet alone buy it, but i have had a nibble and was satisfied with that, which absolutely stunned me!

So many times i heard the saying wls is a tool and you need to fix your head first! It's true, you will need to think more about food than you did pre op.. .. but for the right reasons xx

Great post Vikki, if i'm very honest i haven't really given up anything in particular, what i have done is added substitutes and don't have anywhere near the huge portions i had before. By that i mean i treat myself to a bit of sugar free choc now and again instead of a very large bar of dairy milk every night, i have the occasional small burger king meal instead of a large quarter pounder with cheese meal. I eat half a portion of a takeway instead of the whole lot on the odd occasion instead of two to three times a week. I am a non dumper so can eat ,most things but am learning the art of control. I always had my bypass not to give up on the foods i enjoy but to learn control and to manage food as opposed to allowing it to manage me! xx

Back