• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What I they wished they'd known before bypass

Yoyo-nomore

Came across this list of ''things I wish I'd known before I had gastric bypass", on a website called gastric bypass truth... thought it was a helpful listing, rings true to me even a few weeks into it ...:rolleyes:

What I Wish I Had Known

• I wish I had realized that my life would still revolve around food - or at least, what I ingest. Instead of being able to forget all about eating, my day consists of counting fluid ounces, protein grams and supplements.
  • I wish I had known how difficult it would be to get all of the required fluids, proteins, and supplements in every day.
  • I wish I had realized that gastric bypass surgery - and the ensuing weight loss - will not make all my problems go away. That I would still face issues even though I weighed less.
  • I wish I had realized how this weight loss would change the relationships in my life - for better and for worse.
  • I wish I had understood how incredibly traumatic it is to follow the liquid diet immediately after surgery, to see others eat and how I would feel excluded from things like family dinners.
  • I wish I could have understood how it’s both liberating and frightening to be smaller.
  • I really wish I could have seen how the sagging skin and remaining fat would look, and how self-conscious it would make me continue to feel.
  • I wish someone could have gotten it through my head that I would still have to work at weight loss.
  • I wish I would have known that my weight loss would make others feel uncomfortable and self conscious about their own weight and therefore they’d want to lash out at me.
  • I wish I had realized that complications can happen to me and that those complications can be very unpleasant.
  • I wish I had known how my attitudes toward food would change, and how unpleasant it would become to watch others shovel too much food in.
  • I wish I had known hwo my attitudes toward overweight people would change, and how strange it would feel to not be “part of the club” around them.
  • I wish I had known how easy it is to become obsessed with how I look, and how I would have to watch myself to make sure all my conversations didn’t revovle around me, my weight loss or my wrinkled skin.
  • I wish I had known how invasive well-meaning people can be with their questions and how uncomfortable it would make me.
  • I wish I had known that after 6-9 months the old demons of cravings and head hunger would rear their ugly heads and that eating right would not be easy or automatic.
  • I wish I had known how horrible dumping really is, and how often it would happen to me after also having my gall bladder out.
  • I wish I had known how frustrating it would be when I suddenly had loads of energy but my family didn’t, and how depressing it would be that all they wanted to do was watch tv.
  • I wish I had known how sweet and understanding my husband would be and how difficult watching me lose weight while he didn’t would be for him. And I wish I had paid more attention to that during the first year, and thanked him more.
  • I wish I had known what a relief it would be to interact with strangers and not feel they were judging me for being fat.
  • Most of all, I wish I had realized that I’d still be “me” 100 pounds lighter.

thanks for sharing xxx

Thanks for that Yo-Yo. Very touching.

That is a very good piece of writing and you can tell it comes from the heart - well done for finding it

fab. thank you

Im going to copy and paste this and stick it on my notice board. Just as a reminder when im a bit futher out and experiancing more on the list i will know im not alone.
fantastic find.
HC

This is a great post. I can relate to much of the non-WLS stuff there too.

But, none of you regret the surgery, right?

Cause it does sound rather negative.....(and I say that as someone who has not had it done yet).

And I agree with KD, every time I lose weight I have felt like most of that on the list above.

But it's a good warning to those who take it too lightly.

xXx

But, none of you regret the surgery, right?

Cause it does sound rather negative.....(and I say that as someone who has not had it done yet).

And I agree with KD, every time I lose weight I have felt like most of that on the list above.

But it's a good warning to those who take it too lightly.

xXx

Agree with this post, it is quite negative. Its a bit off putting for a newbie like me to read. I know im ready to deal with whatever a bypass throws at me but it would be nice to see a list of positive realities too but well done to whoever put this together, it does come from their heart. :happy096:

Agree with this post, it is quite negative. Its a bit off putting for a newbie like me to read. I know im ready to deal with whatever a bypass throws at me but it would be nice to see a list of positive realities too but well done to whoever put this together, it does come from their heart. :happy096:

Well, maybe we could come up with our own list of positives to counteract these negatives.

Come on post oppers... who's going to start the ball rolling.

I wish I'd known how much more confident I would feel
I wish I'd known that 120lbs later, the real me would find it so much easier to shine through
I wish I'd known that i would no longer be obsessed with food, not feel the need to count calories, ounces or protein, but trust in my learned ability to make the right choices
I wish I'd done this years ago

What I Wish I Had Known

• I wish I had realized that my life would still revolve around food - or at least, what I ingest. Instead of being able to forget all about eating, my day consists of counting fluid ounces, protein grams and supplements.
Life will always revolves around food but it becomes part of yr daily routien and second nature
  • I wish I had known how difficult it would be to get all of the required fluids, proteins, and supplements in every day. Again second nature
  • I wish I had realized that gastric bypass surgery - and the ensuing weight loss - will not make all my problems go away. That I would still face issues even though I weighed less. This i pleased to say hasnt been an issue for me
  • I wish I had realized how this weight loss would change the relationships in my life - for better and for worse Im single so no issues with partner and all my friends and family have been supportive.
  • I wish I had understood how incredibly traumatic it is to follow the liquid diet immediately after surgery, to see others eat and how I would feel excluded from things like family dinners. Having done lipotrim for 3 months and liquid pre op diet i was mentally prepared, its only for a few weeks and i still went out for meals with family and friends just had soup.
  • I wish I could have understood how it’s both liberating and frightening to be smaller. Cant get my head around what they mean about being frigtening.
  • I really wish I could have seen how the sagging skin and remaining fat would look, and how self-conscious it would make me continue to feel. This is my biggy but im still healthier and thats my consilation.
  • I wish someone could have gotten it through my head that I would still have to work at weight loss. Even slim people have to do that WLS is a tool to be worked with.
  • I wish I would have known that my weight loss would make others feel uncomfortable and self conscious about their own weight and therefore they’d want to lash out at me. me having had surgery has spurred a couple of my friends into really watching their diet. like me they have yoyoed all their lives but dont want to have surgery. Both have said its given then the wake up call they needed.
  • I wish I had realized that complications can happen to me and that those complications can be very unpleasant. Thankfully i havent experianced any complications not even dumped to date(fingers crossed)
  • I wish I had known how my attitudes toward food would change, and how unpleasant it would become to watch others shovel too much food in. I still enjoy meals out and what other people do doesnt effect me. it surprises me at times when i realise how little i eat sometimes.
  • I wish I had known hwo my attitudes toward overweight people would change, and how strange it would feel to not be “part of the club” around them. This is a funny one when i see people especially young girls who are struggling because of their weight i want to go and say to them "it doesnt have to be like this" If only i had had this opportunity 20 yrs ago.
  • I wish I had known how easy it is to become obsessed with how I look, and how I would have to watch myself to make sure all my conversations didn’t revovle around me, my weight loss or my wrinkled skin. Unfortunatly it is usually other people who bring the conversation up. It does get embarrasing at times especially when you are being showered with compliments.
  • I wish I had known how invasive well-meaning people can be with their questions and how uncomfortable it would make me. Its not the questions its the compliments but im getting used to it.
  • I wish I had known that after 6-9 months the old demons of cravings and head hunger would rear their ugly heads and that eating right would not be easy or automatic.This worries me as im just 6 months
  • I wish I had known how horrible dumping really is, and how often it would happen to me after also having my gall bladder out. Had had my gall bladder removed 21 yr ago and so far havent dumped thank god
  • I wish I had known how frustrating it would be when I suddenly had loads of energy but my family didn’t, and how depressing it would be that all they wanted to do was watch tv.I just drag them out regardless or go far a swim by myself. Always tend to find a willing friend though.
  • I wish I had known how sweet and understanding my husband would be and how difficult watching me lose weight while he didn’t would be for him. And I wish I had paid more attention to that during the first year, and thanked him more. N/A
  • I wish I had known what a relief it would be to interact with strangers and not feel they were judging me for being fat. Think i must be thick skinned as this really has never been a problem for me.
  • Most of all, I wish I had realized that I’d still be “me” 100 pounds lighter. Life really is just so normal

This is just my own reflection on the above and hopefully more positive for some of the pre oppers
I am mindful that things can change hense my prior post.
HTH
carole

I appreciate the list as it stands because WLS can be and is often seen as the panacea to obesity. I am amazed that some people do seem to go into it blindly, without really thinking beyond 'getting slim'.

Also, WLS is all too often referred to as the 'easy option' or the 'easy way out'. It quite plainly isn't.

I am only just over 4 weeks post-op and whilst I have already reaped the early benefits of having had a bypass, I can also relate to some of the list above and will no doubt encounter more.

Some early benefits for me have been:

1. Immediate and noticeable weight loss
2. Almost immediate increase in confidence
3. The knowledge that as long as I follow the rules, I *will* lose weight and with that, gain health
4. The opportunity, within early post-op months, to really get my head around the food demons and issues I have developed over my life
5. My knee and hip joints don't scream like banshees in pain any more; they just grumble.

Last edited:
Back