• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What I they wished they'd known before bypass

I agree a great thread and a great find...Thank you

in this part
I wish I could have understood how it’s both liberating and frightening to be smaller. Cant get my head around what they mean about being frigtening..... I think by frightening she (or he) is talking about not having the barrier that being overweight brings....for many years I used being fat as my reason for why my ex was so horrible to me and so subconsciously (mostly) i sabotaged my self into not loosing weight cos deep down I know its actually cos he didn't like me at all and i made a good punch-bag. who washed and cooked, he however disliked fat people and I could tell my self thats why he didnt love me. when you do loose weight in situations like this you realise that its not the fat thats the problem its the choices you have made and that can be very frightening to realise.

I interpret frightened as fear of the unknown or long-forgotten. Shedding weight can psychologically expose us. Being slim can open doors we have never dared to approach before, let alone go through.

I wish I had known I would get my life back, mind you I would have worried more about not getting the funding then lol....xx

Brill post yoyo, i feel many of them already! x

thankyou minis you all know how to bring the smiles back to those of us still waiting after a little negativity you are all so awesome big thanks debbie:thankyou:

Loved the post, yes negative but its also a reminder to us that our weight is NOT the main issue, the one about being confident and ourselves rather then struggling and hiding behind the 'fat' We all lose weight and improve our lives as a result, we prove ourselves strong and able to make decisions and deal with the outcomes, we all have looked at food as some form of comfort in the past and are making a break from the 'traditional' how many people in the world can say they have remade themselves.

the negativity is our clue to looking at our reasons for doing something, and not presuming that the obvious is the true reason. Its telling us to beware falling back into the traps we had in place like listening to the sabotuers or believing that all diet food is low fat/sugar.

It implies we should communicate with loved ones more to stop the pread of unease from the weight loss.... it implies we should not become cmplacient about what we have and are trying to achie, that we should not become so obsessed with our weight we fail to see its infulencing our lives in a negative way

just my take on it

Oh Lordy... I didn't think about how negative it might look to pre-oppers. I'm so sorry ... that would be the last thing I would want to do. It just rang true on the pro/cons, but not in any sense that I would have made a different decision...

Glad it's prompted some responses pointing out some of a long possible list of unexpected and benefits of making the decision to proceed.

I'm only 3 weeks in and feel massively more optimisitc about the future .. just a bit jealous fedup has lost so much more inches and weight than me in the same time!!

Hugs to all
yoyo

Hey Yo-yo, don't feel bad about the negativity; it is an essential part of the process as far as I am concerned.

I think the very worse favour anyone either considering or going through the journey is to wrap themselves up, or even be wrapped up in cotton wool.

It is a tough deicison to make and it is a tough road to follow (made tougher by ourselves at times!), but is made easier by the ability to ask and learn from others (and of course, from our bariatric professionals).

All discussion is good discussion.

i have not had weight loss surgery but my fair share of other operations(maybe its not as much as i make out..) ( adoenoids and sinus removed as a baby, gromets+ minor ear ops ,2 squint operations when i was 18 months and 7 years old a mastoidectomy and a corneal graft in my left eye]so i am aware all surgery can have its complications

i would love to have weight loss surgery as i am greedy and have no willpower and just can't stick to diets. i have had 6 and a half years of counselling which helped me control my bulimia but i am still greedy and out of control in general of my life[hence the drs have diagnosed me with borderline personality disorder]..am thinking of seeking referral to dieticien

anyway the post was interesting ...i have read mixed things about weight loss surgery taking cravings away[what i really want is relief from constant cravings for junk food i have] . i guess peopld need to be aware that weight loss may not solve other problems etc

for me i guess its a question of trying to get some willpower..just don't know how..sometimes just thinking about having to cut down on food makes me want it more..

i am absolutely amazed at how well people on minimins are doing in terms of losing weight..all the while i am being greedy and a fake and a fraude..claiming to want to lose weight yet guzzling down the wrong foods

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
My version of 'I wish I had known'

I wish I had known that not everyone suffers terrible pain, vomitting and dumping. I spent months preparing myself to feel like hell for the first few months and was shocked with how good I felt post-op. I spent weeks dreading the agony of surgery only to leave the hospital with a smile on my face.

I wish I had known that the eating rules would be come like law in my mind. Where did this willpower come from? I never had it before.

I wish I had known how important having friends who understood wls would be. I didn't find this site until a few weeks before my surgery. I had already spent over a year alone with my wls journey, and it could have been so much easier if I had you all along for the whole ride.

I wish I had known that I would feel like I found a new religion in wls. I want to shout it out, tell everyone who suffered like me that there is an answer.

I wish I had known that I would care so much for other's wls struggles and triumps. Being connected here has made me feel like I am on the journey with each new member, I am invested in their success and failure.

I wish I had known how really large I was before my op, I have been shocked by old pictures of myself, was I really that fat then I find myself saying. I wish I had years ago seen the direction I was headed before I got there.

I wish I had known how much my illnesses/weight took from my life, I really did not know until they started to reverse post-op. I have recovered my life.

I wish I had known how much younger I would feel post-op. Forget the vanity of looking younger, but feeling younger? I never thought I felt old until I started to feel younger.

I wish that I had known when doctors said, lose some weight, you'll feel better that they were right. Instead I spent years being mad that my ill health was always blamed on my weight.

Everyone finds their way differently but these are the things that I wish I had known.

Nic:D

I am 2 weeks out - so a lot of those things I cant comment on but it is not an easy journey even early on I dont regret it but sometimes my head is blown trying to get in the protein and fluids I need each day - I think it brings up points that are very real and you should know before WLS - but still no one regrets it though !!!!

It does make very negative reading for someone like me waiting to have the bypass , however brilliant positives from the others and thanks for that
I think if you have done your 'homework' beforehand you will already know it isnt going to be a smooth ride all the time, nor is it the easy way out.
All weight loss has to be worked at and commitment given, however as 'we' have not been able to commit long term to other types of weight loss programmes we have made the decision to take the surgical route, and I would hope no one does that lightly and if they do then it is going to be extra tough for them.
It is a good piece of writing and lots of 'issues' brought up that could cover other weight loss programmes too, but whoever wrote it sounds to me like they haf alot more to deal with than just weight loss issues

As a newbie awaiting bypass my 1st reaction was to panic a bit not your fault at all yoyo just the way i react to fear of (what was until i found this site) a lot of the unknown:confused:. For me it's good to know the possible negatives as well as the positives but there is so much i want to be able to do when i lose the weight i hope to, that i'm prepared to go along with whatever the bypass throws at me.Not to mention i'm the girl with the half full glass as opposed to the half empty one:party0011:. Still loving the knowledge you guys are giving me, i might not post that often but i spend a lot of time reading the posts so once again thanks to everyone for the guidance and support it's nice to know you will be with me on my journey :thankyou:
Allie

Agree with this post, it is quite negative. Its a bit off putting for a newbie like me to read. I know im ready to deal with whatever a bypass throws at me but it would be nice to see a list of positive realities too but well done to whoever put this together, it does come from their heart. :happy096:

Hi Lynsey

After this post I did start to to think to myself "Oh why bother?" I'll just go back on my Cambridge Diet". (I am a fan of the Cambridge Diet and I had a fantastic counsellor).

But then I thought to myself about what should go on the list of positives is:

What ever happens in the future every pound I lose will be a pound gone forever.

That's why I decided on the Bypass in the first place...the sheer permanence of it......If and when I have it, I will never return to this vicious cycle of back to square one again.

Some of girls have mentioned having a post about the positives too and have listed some of them....that would be a good idea.

xXx

Last edited:
i love this thread, everything everyone has put is true even if it negative or positive, the only thing i wish i knew was the lottery number so id have more money to but clothes as i shrink lol (cum on u feel the same ladies and gents lol)

Great thread

Very interesting post! xx

Back