• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What is ketosis???

daisydaye said:
well the title says it all. What is it and how do I check for it?

thanks in advance

Emma xx

It means your body stops burning carbs as a source of energy and starts burning far stores instead.

Signs are funny taste in mouth, bad breath, headache or tiredness day 3/4 and dry mouth.

Ketostix are also a way of checking. But not so reliable if you are drinking copious amounts of water, as it neutralises ketones in your urine x

OOnion said:
Ahhhh the lovely smell of burning fat on your breath!!! x

Loool!! Yeah! Rank!

I always thought it was something diabetics had

You are right, the presence of high levels of ketones in the bloodstream is a common complication of diabetes.

Ketones build up when there is insufficient insulin to help fuel the body’s cells. High levels of ketones are therefore more common in people with type 1 diabetes or people with advanced type 2 diabetes.

Ketones are an acid remaining when the body burns its own fat. When the body has insufficient fuel going in, it cannot get glucose from the blood into the body's cells to use as energy and will instead begin to burn fat.

When the body is burning too much fat, it may cause ketones to become present in the bloodstream.

There is a difference between ketones induced by consuming low levels of carbs and ketoacidosis which is diabetes induced and dangerous.

Being in ketosis in a low carb sense is not dangerous. It's a normal metabolic function.

"Diabetic ketoacidosis is a problem that occurs in people with diabetes. It occurs when the body cannot use sugar (glucose) as a fuel source because there is no insulin or not enough in...."

I don't think I am in Ketosis yet as I don't seem to have any of the symptons. I am 4 days into my diet though. Help..

Ketosis usually sets in between days 4 & 10.

You'll know when you're there with the horrible taste in your mouth and bad breath.

I've had to buy a mint spray breath freshener.

Back