• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What should I do?!?!

Aw good luck Sunshine! Thanks everyone. In the car at the mo with my OH, he's just stopped to get fuel and has come back with a share bag of m&ms....he's dutifully not offered me any as I've asked him not too. Between you and me I'm watching him munching away and I've decided that I'd quite happily rip out every single one of my finger nails for that bag of chocolate! Urgh am I mental?!
Your no different to the rest of us xx

You're kinder than me. I would have said not to eat them in front of me!

I haven't read through all the replies but I wanted to say, please don't count the surgery to make you sick post op. I myself am 8 months post op from Roux en y and have never experienced dumping syndrome, nor have I ever vomited post op. I have been able to eat full sugar foods since shortly aftet surgery and I have to be very diligent about my daily intake as my NUT and surgeon agree over eating could quickly become a problem for me again. You need to be sure to take the time to develop good habits pre op and be sure you have the willpower to stick with those changes aftet surgery.

Thank you for your advice sapphire. The more I'm reading stories on here, the more I see how right you are and this really is a battle of will power as much as anything!
Of course I'm concerned that there are stories about bands going wrong and that I'm going to be someone it won't work for, but on the other hand if we lived our lives thinking like this I don't think I'd get out of bed haha! The more I read, good and bad, I'm seeing that the ball is in my court to make this work for me and actually that's given me a sense of peace if that makes sense? Feeling eerily calm about the whole thing(2 weeks to go!) and just can't wait to get cracking with my lsd. Am sure nerves will kick in soon and I'll read this post back and think what a gobsh**e I am haha!

Morning chick
I joined another group on Facebook and seriously I am shocked at what some of them say and do ..
Example . Last night a female posted that she is 8 days or something banded , really early anyway , and she had eaten a bowl of ice cream with choc sauce and treacle , and was that OK ? I know what I wanted to answer her with but didn't want to start a war .. To me , her band is certainly going to fail if she thinks that eating such high calorie foods is going to make her lose weight ..
If your on Facebook go join gastric band uk and see what some are posting .. They actually think it's a joke I think .. I've seen some who say the band is waste of time and money but they are still eating take aways , kebabs , cream cakes , cakes , sweets . The habits and foods that got them there in the first place ..
Last week a female posted that she wanted her band emptied before her holiday so she could go away and stuff her face for a couple of weeks , that's actually what she said !
My holidays will not be spent reading a menu !
It's an eye opener for sure ..
Xxxx

It shows that some people just don't take wls seriously.

I think there is a misunderstanding that wls is a cure all but it isn't it's just an extra tool to help. We still have to work at it.

I can only imagine that their team haven't prepared them properly or they just slipped through some how going through the motions and taking nothing on board.

How sad and what a waste of money!

That's why I had the sleeve, no going back!
Those attitudes are a joke..why bother having surgery if you still want to stuff your face! The idea is it's a new start and a tool to help you! Oh well leave them to it!

elo everyone.its been along time since ive been online.its 2 years post op.consultant dietician now as signed me off.i have a long journey in this 2 years.sometime i wish i hadnt.but now im getting there.its hard work.but great.its a new lifestyle healthy eating.all together i lost 10st 11.i did put a couple of pound on.but then i had to go back to plan a.my secret weapons are small dish for cereal soup etc.and the biggest is the bariatric portion plate.christmas is no prob.few prawns bit sauce and a bit of salad.then the dinner slice small gammon and small piece turkey,sprout,one half potato.teaspoon peas carrot batons.bit of seasoning gravy.you can still do it.and i always go to bed with light digestives.rich tea or just 2 crackers.i do struggle with water.i do hope everyone is ok.i havnt had time to read much.i will be back.soohoo(i still am no better with laptops so my message can end up anywhere.and i never been on this new site)

That's why I had the sleeve, no going back!
Those attitudes are a joke..why bother having surgery if you still want to stuff your face! The idea is it's a new start and a tool to help you! Oh well leave them to it!
That was my thinking too @Kar8858
I am in a few different weight loss and WLS group's on Facebook but rarely post myself. Either people get upset by trolls being rude or people post in the way @countrywench describes target lots of "oh hun I'm sure you'll be fine ha ha" none of which is helpful!

That was my thinking too @Kar8858
I am in a few different weight loss and WLS group's on Facebook but rarely post myself. Either people get upset by trolls being rude or people post in the way @countrywench describes target lots of "oh hun I'm sure you'll be fine ha ha" none of which is helpful!

Everyone has "bad days" with food (me around my cycle week) but making it a habit or joking about it is bad. I also see that on FB and it scares me.

It does make me mad to see this behaviour , when WLS isn't easy to come by for many ! And a lot of them are treating it like a joke ..
They even post pictures of the foods that they are eating ..
Then another will post a statement on how WLS is a waste of time as it doesn't stop her from eating bad food ! I'm not sure what these people have been told before surgery , if anything ..
I thought the NHS surgery went through strict counselling classes and also nutrition classes ? Or am I wrong ?
As I went private I didn't get any counselling etc , but I read everything I could get my eyes on and I sucked up information like a sponge .. So I knew exactly what I was getting into ..

It does make me mad to see this behaviour , when WLS isn't easy to come by for many ! And a lot of them are treating it like a joke ..
They even post pictures of the foods that they are eating ..
Then another will post a statement on how WLS is a waste of time as it doesn't stop her from eating bad food ! I'm not sure what these people have been told before surgery , if anything ..
I thought the NHS surgery went through strict counselling classes and also nutrition classes ? Or am I wrong ?
As I went private I didn't get any counselling etc , but I read everything I could get my eyes on and I sucked up information like a sponge .. So I knew exactly what I was getting into ..

Here in the USA when the insurance pays you have to take classes but it's like a joke for most. I went through surgery with people that will sit around eating bags of sugary candies and cry about how they aren't losing weight anymore one even said "well, i lost 70lb, i guess im done" (i have lost over 130!)

@countrywench as you know I am an NHS patient and had multiple appointments over 2 years both in group settings and 1-2-1 and we talked at length about what surgery meant, how our diet would change and what was expected of us afterwards.
I had several sessions with an excellent CBT dietician where we talked about how I'd got to this point, my past eating disorders and whether I might be tempted to return to that behaviour post surgery. When I first met my surgeon he really challenged me on that point and I had to really stand up for myself and be able to explain exactly what I knew about surgery and why I could handle the demands it would place on me physically and mentally.

Because of my chronic ill health and disabilities, which are not all weight related as I was born with some and I only weighed 7lbs then ;) , WLS is hopefully life saving for me. I am so grateful for the chance to help myself and this is the last chance saloon. I can only assume people who treat it in such a cavalier fashion either don't have as much resting on it or have somehow fooled their provider (if they're NHS) because in my experience and many that I've read here, we have to fight hard to get surgery on the NHS.

I'm a bit passionate about this can you tell? I just feel like my surgeon and my lovely GP who has supported me every step of the way have trusted me to do my best and try and help myself and that's what I should do. I'm not saying I'm perfect or I'll never screw up because I'm human but I owe it to myself and them to take this seriously and keep working at it.

Ok I'll shush now. Insomnia makes me more vehement obviously :oops:

Morning Fee
Your support team sounds top class .. And yes I can see your passionate about your WLS .. And that's how it should be .. We should know the ins and outs of what is going to happen to us and the after affects .. I agree the people on here are dead serious about the surgery and we support each other like a close family would , maybe I should share our link with them and let come and read our diaries ..
I wonder if all areas treat the surgery like your does .. Somehow I doubt it after reading a lot of statements ..
But for every one person that makes a mockery of the surgery , there are 10 who sail through it and work hard to achieve their dreams .
. It's this small percentage that chaps my ass lol ..
Like you, I would not be happy if I let my close support unit down , I wouldnt dream of it infact . To be seen as a failure in my families eyes is a look I never ever want to see ..
Can't change the world I suppose ..
Mindy
Xxx

Last edited:
Wow I didn't realise so many people would intentionally try to cheat the band by eating those types of foods. It's a tricky one- I'm a private patient and the idea of sabotaging (because surely that's what it is?!) my band and wasting all that money is madness, however part of me worries that by not having had the vigorous interview and psychological guidance that NHS patients have had I might be at a disadvantage?
I started my lsd this morning. It's been an hour and so far so good....so lasted half an hour longer than I usually do when I start a diet haha!
All feeling a bit more real now, getting nervous. Especially having to book time off work and things- just feel like everyone can read what I'm thinking and can tell I'm telling porky pies when I say I'm going to see relatives!
Hope you're all doing well! X

I think it is sabotage and I also think if you are going to sabotage yourself you will regardless of who paid for the procedure. I think having to go through such a long and rigorous procedure to get NHS funding does 'help' if that's the right word. I know I sabotaged myself on every diet I tried before and that this feels very different. That said I think all those hoops to jump through aren't essential. If you feel ready in yourself and committed to working with this tool then it doesn't matter how you get there. Does that make sense? I am having a slow brain day today!
Anyway it's all getting a bit real now @city_chick so very best of luck with the LSD, you can do this and it is worth it in the end I promise ;)

Thank you Fee! You talk a lot of sense ;) think I may be getting on all your nerves questioning everything I'm doing so I apologise now!!!

My husband would possibly disagree with you @city_chick :D and please don't apologise. I know I was certainly the same and everyone kept reassuring me for as long as I needed it. Before you know it, you'll be doing the same for someone else too x

Back