• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

what snacks are you eating (at about 5-6 months or so post op)

It's been a staple in our house too Sarah, the kids and hubby love them... but if I have to get crisps for them now, I've heard the oven varieties are healthier, so I just get small amounts of them now... I don't think crisps do us any good Angel... high in calories and 'moorish'...
Love and hugs precious xxx

Bev, they are the devils food lol x

That's the best way to see them and tell yourself this every time you want them, I turned myself right off after my Uncle told me that, it may have had nothing to do with the crisps, but there are times when 'turning off' a food can help us to keep away from it... it's a waste of money and your hard work can be easily undone with greasy crisps... I tell myself.

Love and hugs Angel xxx

I have an emergency snack supply in my fridge - although I am not a crisp lover thank goodness!!

My snacks are: Sliced ham rolled up with lite philly
Melba toast (Waitrose wholegrain one is by far the nicest I have found) with a really thin layer of squeezy cheese (Primula with chives, shrimps or plain) and I sometimes add a few slices of cucumber (without skin) sliced tomato or pickled beetroot.
Smoked salmon with a little philly light eaten with the above melba toasts.
Melba toasts with light pate (healthier choice ones)
Melba toasts dipped in flavoured hummus (more filling and less likely to cause the rabids than carrot if I am in a hurry!!)
Hard boiled egg (I know not everyone can eat these but I cut them in quarters and like them just plain with a little bit of salad cream to dip them in.)
Small tub of prawns with a little seafood sauce to dip them in at the same time as a few melba toasts
Cooked chicken leg (always have a few in the fridge) I eat one with a pickled beetroot or again dipped in a little salad cream with some cucumber slices
Packets of cooked chicken tikka or similar
Babybel (although I am now sick of them!!)
Crabsticks (these are high protein and again nice just dipped in a little seafood sauce)
Small tin of tuna mixed with tiny bit of salad cream on melba toasts
Make a large chilli (lean mince, tin of homepride chilli sauce and a large can of kidney beans extra) - slow cook and freeze in ramekin size portions. Just grab one and microwave. I eat one on its own with a bit of grated cheese on top!

Hope some of these suggestions help. I am the worlds worst at coming in after doing the horses and needing to grab something - hence my fridge is well stocked up with 'grab' snacks!!

Mel xxxx

At six months I was too busy following my surgeon's plan to eat snacks, just saying like x

I buy bags of unadulterated brazils, cashews, almonds, walnuts, unsweetened dried cranberries, blueberries, golden raisins, pumpkin seeds and mix them all in a large container. I have a small airtight container (about the size of a pack of cards) which I fill on a daily basis to snack from. Great when I'm on the move and to replace the ubiquitous biscuits with coffee at meetings.

Ok, am going to own up, have been on the crisps, and prawn crackers dipped in sweet chilli sauce, although I have them as a meal.
Also eat a lot of mixed nuts with dried raisins, also occasionally have a dairylea slice rolled up in a slice of ham.
Now that I am here on my own (ex finally moved out two weeks ago), I must try and eat more healthily, but to be honest, can't afford to buy decent food, too much goes on bills. Oh well, things will hopefully get better one day :))))

my hospitals advice is 3 meals and 2 snacks or 5 smaller meals, no need to be passive agressively rude about it. Some people need snacks to help stick to their plan, snacks are not against the advice especially high protein ones

Some good ideas thank you.

There is a huge difference in a high protein small meal and eating crap. ;)

Show me where your hospital told you to eat crisps at six months and I'll apologise for my bluntness. I take this stuff kind of seriously so I have only a limited amount of kittens and rainbow time for those that don't. Good luck with your journey x

There is a huge difference in a high protein small meal and eating crap. ;)

Show me where your hospital told you to eat crisps at six months and I'll apologise for my bluntness. I take this stuff kind of seriously so I have only a limited amount of kittens and rainbow time for those that don't. Good luck with your journey x

Did I say they said I should? Did I say I should be eating them?Well good for you if when severely stressed you dont revert to eating something you shouldnt. Ive asked for suggestions to find something that I can have to replace the crisps that I have latched onto for emotional reasons. Go judge someone else.

I had slipped into grabbing the odd thing that I shouldnt (I dont like crisps but hey ho they would probably have been something I would have if I did!) and none of it is stuff I have been told to eat!! A flapjack, few maltesers, a jaffa cake . . we all do it in certain situations and it is not something we want to do (perhaps its a woman thing!) so I think your plan for healthy snacks is really sensible.

I was told by my provider to eat 3 meals but make sure I had plenty of high protein snacks and I need them or I would resort to a quick fix so I know just where you are coming from Zoe.:)

Ultimate willpower . . . I wish we could order it online somewhere???!!

Chick peas dried in a slow oven - and eitehr eaten as they are or sprinkled with salt = high protein low fat snack.

I have unsalted nuts as well - also high protein - high fat too

but due to my op I have to have 100 gm protein a day and the body can only cope with a max of 30gm at a time - so my advice was 3 small meals and 3 snacks a day

so it is all high protein

crisps have snuck in some days but it can be the only carbs I get in a day - can't eat bread and have really gone off crackers

I try to think that I'll not have baddies but you know what happened to thought!!

xxx

Ooh the chickpeas sound interesting, do you use tinned?

The odd bad thing slipping in is only going to be natural isnt it. Weve had a life time of bad habits and breaking those is blinking difficult especially in certain situations. Admitting to the bad things and seaking a way to stop it is clearly better than carrying on as one would have done before the op.

How long do you cook the chick peas for and on what gas mark? :D I dont like them usually but I like nuts so might give it a try. I really enjoy carrot sticks with low-fat hummous, and babybell lights. I also have snack a jacks sometimes, try not to have them often though as I dont want to get into the habit of having them every night instead of crisps :eek: Dont want to go down that slippery slope again lol XX

The chick peas are a great idea... I'm trying them for sure, where is the best place to buy them from Angels?

I'm also very keen to do a mixture like Rose's Fruit & Nut Selection... it sounds fantastic!

Love and hugs xxx

Did I say they said I should? Did I say I should be eating them?Well good for you if when severely stressed you dont revert to eating something you shouldnt. Ive asked for suggestions to find something that I can have to replace the crisps that I have latched onto for emotional reasons. Go judge someone else.

Hay its your pouch, your surgery, your success or failure, the only judge you should worry about is the one between your ears. My advice? stop eating crap. Replace crisp with a banana they are a great source of potassium and they actually lift your mood too. Or even a protein bar, they even have chocolate stuff on them

This is the most important period of your new life. If you don't maximise your lifestyle changes now you will reduce your chance of ultimate success. Sorry if that sounds harsh or rude but its the truth. Trust me two years out you have to fight the food monster every chuffin day if you don't get a handle on it now you'll find it much harder down the line.

I really care about you lot, I really want to see every single one of us enjoy a new life filled with health and happiness and if that comes across as judgemental? well I can live with it I guess

Again good luck with your future weight loss

Greek yoghurt, it's lush and high in protein, you can eat it plain or have it with berries

Canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry with paper towels. Dry roast them at 230c for 30-40 minutes.

Put chickpeas in a bag and add your flavouring - cumin, sea salt, pepper, curry powder, jerk seasoning, whatever you fancy!

You can do this with soya beans too, which are high protein.

You can season/spice them before cooking, but not with salt. The salt draws moisture into them and they will go soft quite quickly. If the seasoning isn't sticking you can use a bit of spray oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Back