• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

WHAT THEN???

BlueDiamond

Hello everyone..

As most of you know when you start your wls you go through stages, seeing the gp, waiting for referral, weight management clinic, various tests, sleeping apnea, bloods, etc etc, and then its the waiting for surgeons decision and then funding, and then your big day arrives and you finally get the op you need.

Then after your wls surgery, you go through varies stages of recouperation, liquids, mush, solids etc and losing weight all the way through your journeys,some of you have had tummy tucks and various other forms of surgery to enhance your life, and some treat them selves to spa days, new clothes, new hair etc etc.

My question to all of those ppl who may have got to this stage and when ur wls stages are complete and your happy with every aspect you have been through. what then????

When you have been thinking/doing weight loss for so long and probably some of the times not even thinking about much else or the light at the end of the tunnel (so to speak) what do you do then? when u have lived and breathed weight loss for so long am just wondering what some people have done then. I know I am only at the very early stages , (thats if I get it at all ) but I was just sitting here and I worked out that I been dieting for 3 long years (on and off) and I still not anywhere near my goal weight , but it just occured to me what happens when the journey comes to an end.

I look forward to hearing any thoughts.

All the best - MeJulie x x
:D

Oooh heck mejulie, you only been dieting for 3 yrs... 22+ me..

oh yes BUMP X

Hiya

As you know not everyone goes down the NHS route which could be due to not meeting the PCT requirements or they cannot wait to get funding amongst many other reasons.

I can't really tell you much more than what aftercare you can expect to get privately. My bands packge covers me for 3 years post op and I get regular calls with the dietician (early post op weekly, then monthly now bi monthly) plus I have contact with the bariatric nurse if I need to arrange an appointment or fill etc. I am 100% happy with everything so far.

Anything in the future aftercare wise I will have to pay for but with regular and supportive GP checks other than fills I wont really be needing this regularly. I really dont know what the NHS offer aftercare wise but Im sure someone else will!

Dont know if this will be much help? x

Hiya

As you know not everyone goes down the NHS route which could be due to not meeting the PCT requirements or they cannot wait to get funding amongst many other reasons.

I can't really tell you much more than what aftercare you can expect to get privately. My bands packge covers me for 3 years post op and I get regular calls with the dietician (early post op weekly, then monthly now bi monthly) plus I have contact with the bariatric nurse if I need to arrange an appointment or fill etc. I am 100% happy with everything so far.

Anything in the future aftercare wise I will have to pay for but with regular and supportive GP checks other than fills I wont really be needing this regularly. I really dont know what the NHS offer aftercare wise but Im sure someone else will!

Dont know if this will be much help? x
Hi is this posted on the right thread lol

I was responding to your thread, sorry if you thought my experience was not appropriate!

I am not stating that , I was just asking wot happens after the wls journey is over, I wasnt asking in particular about funding or after care etc. x

Well as i said that was my experience so far, I dont know what happens at the end (Im not there) but I just wanted to explain what happens along the way from my personal experience.

Im not sure how many people on here are at that stage so anyone else can just give you their advice/opinion.

Well as i said that was my experience so far, I dont know what happens at the end (Im not there) but I just wanted to explain what happens along the way from my personal experience.

Im not sure how many people on here are at that stage so anyone else can just give you their advice/opinion.
THANKY11.gif

Like you i am a pre opper.... I can honestly say i think we'll be obsessed about not putting the weight back on....

No seriously, i think the idea is to lose the weight then enjoy your life without lapsing back into your old habits and regaining your weight. I'm sure hopelesscase and phatgirl must have an occasional treat, but i'm also sure that 98% of the time they are aware of what they eat...

Remember you are what you eat, i currently am a big bag of fish n chips and a cream cake (or two), but i still love you all xx

Hello
Read thi syesterday but hubby was lurking so didnt post.
for me the end will be when i am at my idea weight and image.
I think that alot of problems are sometimes put down to "oh its becuase i am fat" I just hope I wont have a new excuse :
No I cant go swimming I dont like teh way I look.
No I cant go on the rollercoaster I will look silly and so on.
I think I have got so much depending on this working that I think I will be in live heaven lol.

I think my hubby of almost 14 years might actually get a look at my body !! (with no clothes on) maybe !!!
I will shop till i drop for new clothes and shoes, I will stand tall and nto care if someone is looking at me as I know they wont be thinking OMG look at how fat she is.
I just cant wait and I choose LIFE x
Helen

WLS won't be the end - it will just be another beginning

it will be a time of adjustment finding out what you can and can't eat

And you will be able to do things you cant when overweight

And all that shopping for clothes is FUN - expensive - buy snug cos it soon won't be until you realise you can't get much smaller!!

It does take some getting used to

Good Luck

Angela

I totally know what you mean on this Blue, I have said it to hubby a few times now. I always say "I have had the aim of doing the stuff I had to do to be referred, then seeing the surgeon and then waiting, then the pre-op diet and then having the op and getting over it, then getting back on to food, then losing the weight and keeping it off...then what?" and the first time I said it he didnt know what I meant, so I explained to him that my life up to now has always been building towards something, that new diet, that new plan and then when I chose to turn to surgery I had almost two years of planning it all and aiming for it and now I have the weight to lose and that is my target, so once I am at target and the new me is something that I am used to, what then? What do I work towards? I am so used to being goal driven now that Im not sure how not to be. Maybe we will try for children but if we dont and every day is just life, not actually working towards anything, what is that like? Because I have never had a part of my adult life when I wasnt working towards the new goal of losing weight, it seemed like my life long battle was to lose weight, so when that is done and I am comfortable with my new self, what is my new goal...so defiantely...what then?
Steph xx

I personally dont think the journey will ever end. I am now 2 stone away from my ultimate goal weight, but being honest if i didnt lose anymore weight now i would be happy...

the reason i dont think a bypassers journey will ever end is "maintaining" your loss is a life long thing. i have alot of years left to live now and i have to keep this weight off FOREVER otherwise its been an expensive and pointless journey.

My food demon will never leave while im not exercising i know that now, so i have to make sure forever i exercise and my food demon will be controlled... its just one of the many lessons ive learned....

there will be many more to come on what is definately a life long journey... remember a bypass isnt just for xmas.......

No Mark, it will never truly end, but technically if we do as we should and have healthy eating as just something that we do and exercise too then surely that will just become second nature and not the battle it has always become or maybe for some people it will never really be second nature.
Steph xx

I'd like to think that at the end of it, life will go on! The main reason I want to lose weight if for better quality of life - to be able to do all the things that my weight has stopped me from doing over the last (quite a) few years.

The thought that I may actually be able to go for a hike or dancing with my husband or to enjoy being on holiday without the feeling that my inner thighs are going to be rubbed red raw, is one of the things that I'm looking forward to.:0chacha:

I'm hoping that my smaller size will increase my energy and well-being, that alone will be enough to get on with my life.

Oh, and more sex! I'd like the stamina to have more sex! :love: xx

Back