• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What was the point?

prinny

:( I feel really fed up today, did yesterday and the day before. I don't have my first fill till the 2nd April but I am finding it beyond hard. I may as well have not paid out for it because I feel no change whatsoever. I have been through all that pain, have felt malnutritioned and for what?!!! The reason I had surgery was because I couldn't do it on my own and I still feel like I am doing it on my own. I don't think I am going to be able to rely on my willpower much longer, which is so sad because I was really upbeat after my surgery and loved the pain/restriction in a sick kind of way! I felt on top of the world with very litlle hunger and was easily filled. Well that feeling is dead and buried now! I am just going to end up being a failure which is so bad because I have paid out money that I haven't got to have it done. I have only lost a small ammount of weight and apart from the kitkat blip have not strayed at all.
Sorry about the rant everyone and for being negative but I am hiding all this from my other half who would be devasted if he found out I was feeling like this after what I have been through to have it done. I just feel like I want to go on a mega binge.
Yours depressingly Prinny.xxx

hi prinny what your feeling at this stage is perfectly normal, the initial restriction you have after the op is only down to the op swelling that made you feel full, when that goes normal eating resumes, it takes time for the band to start working properly which is gradually built up to with fills until good restriction is felt. The band is only a aid and you have to be patient with the right amount of fill to get the desired effect, you will have little or no restriction right now as your band will most probably be emty at this point, but dont fret when the fills start thats when you can learn to work with your band in the correct way, the 1st 6 weeks is only the healing period after the op. It does take time, but things will get better.

liz x

Prinny

It is quite normal to go through low patches on this journey. I hit rock bottom a few times in the early days.

You don't have restriction after the op, once the swelling goes down. I was the same and I guess most of the girls and guys who have choosen this route didn't either.

This is not a short journey, it takes many months to get to the right restriction and too loose weight steadily.

You are very very early days and it will get better, after each fill you will find it improves a little but it might take 3-7 fills to get to where you can loose weight much more quickly. Try and be patient, the band is never going to do all the work for you, you still have to excercise self control and moderation, even when you hit the sweet spot.

Keep on trucking, you will get there in the end, just look at everyone with a band who has a ticker, the weight keeps moving downwards.

Take today as an off day but start again tomorrow with your held held high knowing that you are strong and that you can do this.:) HUGS

Thanks for your replies you two. I just feel so hungry I could rip someones head off and scratch their eyes out if they said the wrong word to me! Sorry about sounding so god damn mardy it's just that I am a person who needs to see reults to keep motivated. This is the hardest I have ever worked at my diet and I have put so much effort in but I feel like a spoilt child and angry with myself because I expected to see some kind of change. Since going on my pre-op diet on the 23rd feb till now I have lost 11lb..........i am being so childish about it but keep thinking wow big cheese I could have done that on my own.
I am also gonna be really honest here and say that I am really glad for people when they say how much they have lost but also feel sooooooo jealous which is very very sad. I need to get over it and get a grip i just can't.

you have to keep strong and be patient until the fills start, all us banders went through exactly the same, unfortunaltly nothing happens quickly with the band, it is a very slow process compared to a bypass, just try to keep to a healthy diet until fill no1.

good luck

liz x

I wonder if they will do all 7 fills at once lol..........did you two notice a difference after your first fill and how much do you recon they will put in? I have a 12ml band, but I don't want them draggin it out like they do with driving lessons just to get more money out of you!
I am so sad I have been over weight for 16 years but have just lost my patience!

i have a 7 mil band and yes i could notice a difference after the 1st fill because they had given me a fill also during my op to kick start me again, an average 1st fill is usually 2.5 mil, but all surgeons are different, i have to be honest with you tho most people do not notice any difference at all with fill no 1 as they dont ususally put a lot in, and restriction of a good level can some times take between 3-5 fills, i have been lucky this time and i have good restriction still after my 2nd fill, i asked for the band to be tight as i have done this before so i knew i could handle it at this stage. Over filling a band to early can be dangerous and thats why they build you up slowly in small fills so you can ajust to the band tightning over time, the band isnt a magic cure for over weight people just some thing to help us along the journey of the weight loss process.

To be honest, my first fill was unoticeable...I didn't really loose much back then but kept on at it.

My second fill at first didn't seem to make a lot of difference either but a month down the line it seems to work a little. It definitely stops me eating as much as before.

As I am NHS my next fill is not till August but I have been told that if I seem to need more to call and they will try and slot me in. I think I might do that.

I have some restriction but want a little more as I am trying to slim into a wedding dress.

This is just something you have to keep on working with. It can work if you work with it. I know frustation can sometimes get the better of us and I will openly admit I have had some bad food choices days but you just have to brush yourself off and start again the next day.

You have even more incentive to make this work, you paid for it yourself, just keep telling yourself it will work and everytime you feel like you are gonna put the wrong thing in your mouth, try to distract yourself by coming on here, going for a walk, looking up healthy new recipes to try, anything...

BUT YOU WILL SUCEED!;)

we have all been there hun dont loose heart it is a slow prosess and its why your warned you may even gain weight in the intial months till you have fills its taken me 4 fills and i finally have perfect restriction it feels like it never going to happen but it does, it just takes time, i used the time till my fill enjoying the taste of bread because once you have had them you wont be able to eat it any more! iv never seen myself as dieting if i want something i have it as the months have passed the amount of anything i have has shrunk, give yourself time dont beat yourself up you have no restriction of course your going to be hungry babe and if you are eat something

edit i have a 14ml band and my first fill was 5mls if that any help followed by 2mls then they got smaller only half a ml this time and you will notice the differnce as soon as you have one

Prinny hang on in there....I have to say I think banders have to work at it so much more than the bypassers and from what I have read on here it takes time to reach the perfect fill....I feel for you chick but there is tons of support for you on here and we will help keep you motivated till they fill you to the desired level.....(((hugs)))..xxx

Prinny - If paitence is an issue you should have gone for a bypass, it works from day one and will continue to work, no fills, no mechanical failure and its not so essential to watch and follow a strict diet regime !

and as we know Prinny didnt that wasnt exactly tactful or helpful was it?

As the others have said Prinny hang in there I am sure it will come to you the same as it has for the others. They have all said it takes time and right now you feel you want it now which I guess deep down many of us do....but we have no choice but to work with this wonderful tool and get to the goal we all want.

Take care of yourself xxx

Sorry Mrs Cakey bum, my comment may have come across as a bit harsh, but sometimes you lot really need to get a grip, does no one actually ask questions of there surgeon before undergoing or agreeing to this surgery,........I've not had a band (thank god) but even i know you have to wait 6 plus weeks post op before you can have your first fill, therefore you have absolutely no restriction until you have had a fill, and normally it takes a few fills to get the restriction right.

Prinny, i'm sorry your feeling down, as others have said you will eventually get the restriction you need to lose weight, but whilst you dont have restriction try using this time to positively change your eating habits in preperation for life style and eating changes once you have full restriction !

I'm sorry you have issues with me Silversurfer and I take umbrage at "but sometimes you lot really need to get a grip, does no one actually ask questions of there surgeon before undergoing or agreeing to this surgery,........I've not had a band (thank god)" if you have not had a band please don't be so rude and dismissive of those of us who are planning to or who have had a band fitted. I found your comments rude and unnecessary.

I am also proud to say my Names MrsCakeybun not bum so if you want to call me that may I suggest you...:kissass2:

I'm sorry you have issues with me Silversurfer and I take umbrage at "but sometimes you lot really need to get a grip, does no one actually ask questions of there surgeon before undergoing or agreeing to this surgery,........I've not had a band (thank god)" if you have not had a band please don't be so rude and dismissive of those of us who are planning to or who have had a band fitted. I found your comments rude and unnecessary.

I am also proud to say my Names MrsCakeybun not bum so if you want to call me that may I suggest you...:kissass2:

Lol :D :8855:

Hi everyone, I would just like to point out that people's reasons for going for a band can be more diverse than just talking to the surgeon about it ( which i'm sure we all have!) I for one, although I am vv overweight, have opted for a band over by-pass as I did not want myself such an invasive procedure - I am in awe of people who have and the amount of weight people have lost - it's fantastic. People also lose a great deal of weight on the band and here there are so many inspirational stories for band and bypass. I know ,for me, the band will take longer and involves more commitment. Another big factor is the financial cost. I, like many others who are not in areas where the NHS does WLS until you are on your last legs (if at all), have had to go private and a band is half the cost of a bypass. So there are many considerations we have all had to make re. surgery.

Prinny, as you know, this forum is a brilliant source of support. When you band starts to be filled I'm sure you will find you feel better about it and be able to work with it. Also, your weight loss is significant. 2nd April is not far away, although I'm sure at this moment it seems miles away. But it's not. I really hope that you feel better about things soon x.

Hi everyone, I would just like to point out that people's reasons for going for a band can be more diverse than just talking to the surgeon about it ( which i'm sure we all have!) I for one, although I am vv overweight, have opted for a band over by-pass as I did not want myself such an invasive procedure - I am in awe of people who have and the amount of weight people have lost - it's fantastic. People also lose a great deal of weight on the band and here there are so many inspirational stories for band and bypass. I know ,for me, the band will take longer and involves more commitment. Another big factor is the financial cost. I, like many others who are not in areas where the NHS does WLS until you are on your last legs (if at all), have had to go private and a band is half the cost of a bypass. So there are many considerations we have all had to make re. surgery. quote]

Hi Jenny

The point i made really wasn't about the rights and wrongs of each particular procedure because as you say its down to 'the individual' along with their particular consultant to make that decision, my point was really that anyone undertaking this 'life changing' surgery should equip themselves with the right information, mins is a really great source of information on everything band and BP related, and i know band fills have been discussed and debated over and over, i'd also expect the individuals surgeon or support organisation to provide the relevent information pre op so you as an individual know exactly whats going to happen post op, and completely understand what your having done, and if they dont provide and they cant find the information here on mins, then an educated google search will turn up a whole plethora of information about banding and bypassing !

Good luck though with your op ;)

Hi Jenny

The point i made really wasn't about the rights and wrongs of each particular procedure because as you say its down to 'the individual' along with their particular consultant to make that decision, my point was really that anyone undertaking this 'life changing' surgery should equip themselves with the right information, mins is a really great source of information on everything band and BP related, and i know band fills have been discussed and debated over and over, i'd also expect the individuals surgeon or support organisation to provide the relevent information pre op so you as an individual know exactly whats going to happen post op, and completely understand what your having done, and if they dont provide and they cant find the information here on mins, then an educated google search will turn up a whole plethora of information about banding and bypassing !

Good luck though with your op ;)

Can't disagree with any of that.

thorough research of both ops has to be done before choosing which is correct for your own personal needs, alot of people dont have the full facts when they decide whats best for them, the old perception still comes in to the chain of thought with banding thats it going to be there there " magic cure " or "quick fix" , ive spoken to quite alot of people that are not happy with there bands as they had the beliefs the weight came off fast ect, in reality banding just is not like that, the 2 main complaints i hear of is

1. why am i not loosing weight quickly

2. im compensating eating a small healthy meal with choc or any other slider foods as i feel deprived.

no2 is the biggest one for most people, if they say they not coping with real food then thats wrong as whats actually happening is the bands doing its job and ppl are eating a larger portion than they should be and vomiting as a result and there for feel deprived as they not used to the lesser "volume" intake, slider foods will go down in a large quantity and if substituted for 1 small portion of heathly nutritious foods it will stop weight loss. if anyone is experiencing these difficulties then i strongly advise a banding councilor to help come to terms with these habbits and address the band in the correct manner.

these comments thats are commonly made after banding has taken place is generally through lack of research into banding and research into life with banding after the op.

i dont mean to be harsh, but i think ive been honest in my comments in this post.

Last edited:
Yes, this is very true. A good point indeed.

Back