• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What was the point?

thorough research of both ops has to be done before choosing which is correct for your own personal needs, alot of people dont have the full facts when they decide whats best for them, the old perception still comes in to the chain of thought with banding thats it going to be there there " magic cure " or "quick fix" , ive spoken to quite alot of people that are not happy with there bands as they had the beliefs the weight came off fast ect, in reality banding just is not like that, the 2 main complaints i hear of is

1. why am i not loosing weight quickly

2. im compensating eating a small healthy meal with choc or any other slider foods as i feel deprived.

no2 is the biggest one for most people, if they say they not coping with real food then thats wrong as whats actually happening is the bands doing its job and ppl are eating a larger portion than they should be and vomiting as a result and there for feel deprived as they not used to the lesser "volume" intake, slider foods will go down in a large quantity and if substituted for 1 small portion of heathly nutritious foods it will stop weight loss. if anyone is experiencing these difficulties then i strongly advise a banding councilor to help come to terms with these habbits and address the band in the correct manner.

these comments thats are commonly made after banding has taken place is generally through lack of research into banding and research into life with banding after the op.

i dont mean to be harsh, but i think ive been honest in my comments in this post.

Great post Liz...

What you have stated here is precisely why I chose bypass over band. I know that a bypass will give me much greater restriction of what I can eat, and the quantities I can eat from day 1.

Like Silversurfer said, I cant understand why people don't do enough research before their op. If they did, they would realise that they will still be hungry with a band until the right level of restriction is reached which could be many months after the op.

Great post Liz...

What you have stated here is precisely why I chose bypass over band. I know that a bypass will give me much greater restriction of what I can eat, and the quantities I can eat from day 1.

Like Silversurfer said, I cant understand why people don't do enough research before their op. If they did, they would realise that they will still be hungry with a band until the right level of restriction is reached which could be many months after the op.

thanks sam, i hope this thread is some use to people doing there research at the moment and be honest with themselves about there eating habbits before making there final decision.

This forum is lucky to have you Liz. xxxx Cant rep you as need to spread the love first!

Hey Prinny, i totally know where u are coming from i had band fitted about 5 weeks ago and like you now have no restriction but im bein kinda bold......well very bold cos i know i can. Now im still not as bad as i was but i havent lost any weight in the last 2 to 3 weeks ive probably gained a few pounds since i came off te liquid diet but i have to say im looking forwa\rd to the fill plus as its all a gradual thing i think its better for our bodies to cope with and also on a selfish note i kinda lied to people in work and a few friends about my op said it was something esls and i think if i lost huge weight very quickly everyone would know and i dont want to have to deal with that right now. I know its hard to be patient when we spent so much money but we have the rest of our lives being skinny to look forward too :D its only a couple of weeks/months til were on the right road and hey least your being good im just crap

I must say I feel a little bit judged here about what I have written. I have made no bones about the fact I am just being a miserable spoilt child at the minute (due to lack of chocolate!) lol. However what I will say (to silver surfer) is that yes a bypass would have been a better choice for me as I have said previously I have not been lucky enough to get a sniff of funding, I even had to fund reductil myself. I did discuss this with the surgeon and as a band was my only ever affordable hope I went with it out of desperation. I knew what I was getting into. I have had the money saved for 5 years and did not have surgery before because it is such a big thing to change your lifestyle and I didn't feel ready.
What I wanted to do was to come on here have a bit of a moan and a laugh at the same time and say outloud what I felt I couldn't to my hubby as he wouldn't understand. It's such a shock to have to deprive myself of what I have been consuming for the past X ammount of years that I will say it has hit me like a ton of bricks and I don't care what anyone says when you have gone through surgery you do expect results. I know that it just isn't realistic I really do but my the other side of my brain isn't thinking straight.
I am just finding it hard it very very hard. If I didn't find it hard to cut down to half the ammount of calories that I would have normally I would have been able to get to a managable weight a long time before now.
Thanks everyone for their replies to my whinge lol:p

what confuses me is that I didn't want the bypass, i wanted the band. I did my research and decided that it sounded like the bypass was best for me but as i had to self-fund...i know it shouldn't be decided by money but its a major factor.

I was then advised that the bypass was definately better for me cos once paid...thats it whereas with the band you have the cost of the fills and you have to have fill reduced if you go on long haul flights and also that the life of a band is advised around 15 years...I couldn't afford to take the risk of needing a replacement after 15 years and having to pay myself...so ultimately, I did have to decide by cost and the bypass actually came out cheaper in the long run if self-funding x x x

Cost was the main reason for me having a band. I had my band done for £4950. My fills after my first one (£125) are around the £80 mark. If I need five fills this will come to around £450. So the £5,500 made it available to me. I feel like Carol Vorderman ha ha. I just couldn't afford the £10,000 needed to have a bypass. I wasn't altogether 100% sure about the bypass either but in all fairness did not reseach it as much as I did the band. After reading about it, it just felt that step too far! Although I'd still say it maybe would have been the option which suited me better and if I was being funded by the NHS I maybe would have pushes for the bypass. But hey who knows!

EXCELLENT POINT LISA !

Cost was the main reason for me having a band. I had my band done for £4950. My fills after my first one (£125) are around the £80 mark. If I need five fills this will come to around £450. So the £5,500 made it available to me. I feel like Carol Vorderman ha ha. I just couldn't afford the £10,000 needed to have a bypass. I wasn't altogether 100% sure about the bypass either but in all fairness did not reseach it as much as I did the band. After reading about it, it just felt that step too far! Although I'd still say it maybe would have been the option which suited me better and if I was being funded by the NHS I maybe would have pushes for the bypass. But hey who knows!

hi prinny, i hope your feeling a little more positive towards things today, as time goes by things do get better, and you will feel much better about things once the weight starts to move again xxx

liz xx

:D Yeah I do feel a better today. I had some cous cous for my dinner ( I thought it would be okay!) and I did get a lovely stuck feeling lol. It made it all worth while...........only jesting but it did remind me that it is there and it will work. I was just feeling well fed up the other day but like I have done as I was told and got a grip lol. Thank you.xx

I did have one question though apart from mintball how many of the bypassers or pr-bypassers self funded?

Glad you are feeling a bit better today Prinny - it is really good that you felt able to express your feelings - neg and pos here. Hope good feelings continue. Cous Cous you say, I will keep that in mind.

You will be joining the club soon, whoop whoop lol.:D Just wait till you get these feelings I will send you a cous cous takeaway to cheer you up!

one of my band favourites is home made chilli, ive just made some and im gonna have it on a small baked spud, great for banders it doesnt make me sick but fills me nicely for a good few hours, so is ideal for the restriction level i have at present.

Hi Prinny

In fairness i didn't gesture towards the rights and wrongs of either op, what i actually did say was that if paitences was an issue you should have had a BP as it starts working almost instantly, we all chose our procedure based on our own unique criteria, and if money is an issue then thats your criteria !

Given the fact that you do not have any restriction yet i'm not supprised you are feeling dejected, until they fill your band you will be able to eat freely and will still feel hunger as you did pre op !
Your band has been left empty to allow your stomach to heal and the band to settle in place.

My nana always said "nothing happens over night, it always takes hard work"

well janie your nanna is 100% spot on, and its the same with wls, it all still comes down to what we the individual chooses to put in there mouth, wls isnt a magic cure its a tool that people are privaliged to have and some choose to work with that tool given as a last chance salloon, the ppl that abuse it can regain weight, both with banding or bypass.

liz x

ps. your nanna is a wize woman xx

well janie your nanna is 100% spot on, and its the same with wls, it all still comes down to what we the individual chooses to put in there mouth, wls isnt a magic cure its a tool that people are privaliged to have and some choose to work with that tool given as a last chance salloon, the ppl that abuse it can regain weight, both with banding or bypass.

liz x

ps. your nanna is a wize woman xx

Yeah this is good advice, i also firmly believe that if you understand how your metabolism works and understand how your body burns fat, then your halfway there, dont get the wrong idea, i'm not some kind of dieting monk preaching rightousness, i'm as bad as the next person for eating crap, but i know what works, how to trick my metabolism into not stalling and i also get regular exercise which is key to long term weight lose !

My Grandad use to say - the harder you work the luckier you get ! ;)

i was a private bypasser - i decided if i was going to do this i wanted the right op for me and that had to be the bypass after discussing my eating patterns

Richard i have a very bad metabolism, 225mcg of tyrozine a day only goes so far to making it work, however now i have lost some weight i am able to use exercise to increase it even more, plus i had not known previously that spicey foods increase it as well so i try and have at least a little spice in my life

Back