• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Whats Wrong With Me?

BBS

Hi everybody.

Had my band in for about 7 weeks now, been doing well & lost a couple of stone, but in this last 10 days, I don't know what I'm playing at!

I've really increased my portion sizes & not really concentrating on what I'm doing.

I've had my first fill & have 7ml in my 14ml band, and it has defo restricted the type of food that I can eat, but these last few days, I feel like I can eat large portion sizes!

Is this where the self control aspect comes in? If so, somebody please give me a bollocking & tell me thats it's up to me, to limit my portion sizes & work with the band etc.

Have any of you guys had a similar experience?

Thanks
Rob
x

Hi there,

With a band you will always have to restrict yourself. You are wholly responsible for what you put in your body. You hold the knife and fork, no one else.

What kind of foods are you eating?

And what sort of portions?

You are very early days and it does sound that you have not reached the apex of restriction yet, so until you do, to keep loosing you will have to monitor carefully what you eat.

You work the band, the band does not work you. It is a tool you can choose to use or abuse.

I hope you can gain strength and carry on the good work. It is very hard in the beginning and I think we all made mistakes but learn by them and you will make this tool work for you.

Rgds Caz x

After a fill the restriction is good for a while then it kind of relaxes back a little and you are able to up the volume you eat (whether you want to or not). At the sweet spot, when the fill goes in , it no longer relaxes back and that is when you retain the perfect restriction.
That's how it was explained to me anyway by my surgeon.
You don't have all that much in your band yet really so it could be time to ask for some more. You do have to have self control with the band all along though and it's a lesson I learnt late in the day.
I would really check your diet and make sure you follow the guidelines given to you, eg drier crunchy foods and not too much mushy stuff any longer. Don't drink your calories and maybe note down what you're eating.
Fit in some exercise because more muscle mass is going to boost your metabolism and just helps so much in getting the wodge off anyway.
Never be afraid to chat to your provider if you feel you "should" be doing better, I made that mistake and my loss stalled for most of last year.
Hugs and good luck x

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies! :)

I've been mostly eating things like baked potatos, brocolli, carrots, some chicken, covent garden soups, baked beans, home made low fat curry with rice.

I ate a shepard's pie the other day........ he wasn't too pleased about it!!! ;)

I'm taking up boxing next week to build up fitness & strength.

I think really, I've got to start putting my meals on a saucer, on in my little boy's bowl etc.

Any thoughts on the type of food I've been eating?

Thanks
Rob
x

The boxing is going to super charge your loss , it's an incredible exercise so great choice!!!
Maybe watch the number of jacket spuds? Have your carbs before your evening meal as they are for energy release really so earlier the better.
Make sure you dont add too many sauces and gravy etc to your meals in order to make them drier, umm don't drink with meals for definate and leave at least 30 mins before drinking either side of your meals.
It would definately be good to have smaller plates as your head is fooled into thinking you are having a bigger portion.
Knife and fork down on the table between mouthfuls and empty your mouth before taking a new bite.
I'm sure others have much more knowledge than little me but thats some ideas for you.
lol @ shepherds pie!!
To be honest once you start working out the food won't be such an issue.
If you are doing intense exercise like boxing you'll find you burn fat like mad and your appetite will be naturally reduced.
Good luck again!!

Neen is right, the drier foods lurk in the puch longer, giving you a longer sense of satifaction.

A meal of chicken breast, green veg and a couple of spuds will keep you feeling fuller than sheperds pie.

Also try and keep the carbs lower and eat more protien, I was told rice, pasta and bread should be avoided as they are empty calories and nutrition and swell the pouch.

Its all a massive learning curve...I still make mistakes :)

hi BBS it looks like neen and caz have given you good advice, I cant add anymore as I am a bypasser not a bander but did not want to read and run

Xx

fantastic advice from 2 fantastic banders
good luck im sure you will get to grips and soon be back sharing your new found knowledge with others.
carole

Back