• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

when should I start badgering my gp?

Snow White

After countless consultations he finally agreed to a referral last Friday. I spoke with the receptionist today who said there isn't a letter yet. Okay that's fine. We are still under a week, plus bank holiday Monday. But, I do want it sent out asap. So frustrating!

I would give him at least 2 weeks before you start hassling, to be honest. GPs are very busy and this time of year with bank holidays and winter flu and infections they are likely to be even more so.

For me, I was in the same position this time last year. My GP saw me for an appointment in Jan 2011 and *he* suggested to me that I should go for weight loss surgery.

I still put on my signature that I was "referred January 2011" and that is what I tell people and what I usually think in my head ..... but it did take my GP two weeks to get around to writing his letter to the surgeon at the Whittington, so the official referral (as far as Whit Hosp are concerned) was Feb 2011.

Then it can take a long time to get funding -- my GP did not even apply until August and approval came thru in September 2011 ....... it would not have helped much if it had been before that, due to very long hospital waiting times. (It was 6 months before I attended an "information session" in June 2011 and 9 months before I got to see a consultant surgeon in September 2011.)

Just be a bit more patient with your GP and the whole process ;-)

It is something life changing that is actually worth waiting for !!!

Thanks! I was thinking about 2 weeks was probably reasonable. I suppose now that I got him to finally do it I am feeling impatient. I know it takes ages after. I was turned down once because my bmi was under 50. So, my gp wouldn't try to refer again unless I gained weight. It's been going on for months to get here again. Lol

Thanks! I was thinking about 2 weeks was probably reasonable. I suppose now that I got him to finally do it I am feeling impatient. I know it takes ages after. I was turned down once because my bmi was under 50. So, my gp wouldn't try to refer again unless I gained weight. It's been going on for months to get here again. Lol
bless ya, my doc wont refer me till i have my sleep apnoea results, and probably then only if they're positive, wish they would hurry up lol xxx

Once you are referred you can start to lose some weight if you are uncomfortable. Now you have been recorded as having a BMI of over 50 you can relax. Good Luck, honey xxx :)

Thanks guys. It's such a frustrating process. The surgeon that does it appears to be trying to get his list down. So, I'm anxious to see him.

hey...we started our journeys on the same day!!

last fri the doc advised she would refer me and id recieve a call in 7 days to make the 1st weight management app....

good luck, we can compare dates lol xx

MissyMustDoIt said:
hey...we started our journeys on the same day!!

last fri the doc advised she would refer me and id recieve a call in 7 days to make the 1st weight management app....

good luck, we can compare dates lol xx
Fabulous! Hopefully we both hear soon. xx

Fabulous! Hopefully we both hear soon. xx

ive been reading online for the past 4 hrs and have come to the conclusion that i dont meet the criteria and i will be refused funding....so with that in mind, im calling them tomorrow....id rather know a 'no' asap than a 'yes' asap if you know what i mean...

ill keep your company though until that time lol xx

Don't lose hope! Each trust seems to be a law unto themselves. Hopefully, you get a good result.

thanks, i called the booking line today and they said they hadnt yet received my referral, so i called the docs and they said it was sent last fri..and to wait till monday and to call then...

xx

That's great! I think you're gp is much more on the ball than mine. I stopped myself calling today. Maybe tomorrow. Lol

i went to see my doc on the wednesday after xmas (28th) about a referral for a different matter, I had a letter back from the hospital on 31st. I was amazed to say the least! I wish my op had been that quick lol
Good luck hun, I know what a massive fight you've had on your hands. xx

mariew said:
i went to see my doc on the wednesday after xmas (28th) about a referral for a different matter, I had a letter back from the hospital on 31st. I was amazed to say the least! I wish my op had been that quick lol
Good luck hun, I know what a massive fight you've had on your hands. xx

That's excellent! Mine sat on my last referral for over a month. I know it's gonna take some calls to light a fire under him. x

i agree with snow white all pct's are different don't give up and i never hit 50bmi and here i am 6 weeks post op xx

when i called the surgery i only spoke to the receptionist...i think i waffled lol but managed to ask if referrals were sent via email, nhs system or snail mail...

she said there is a system in place and it was sent on the 30th (which is the day i went to the docs)

i HAVE however had a missed call yesterday afternoon (mortified) from an unknown number, i dont recall the last time i had a missed call!!!! :(

oh well, ill call monday......its only the weekend to wait lol

MissyMustDoIt said:
when i called the surgery i only spoke to the receptionist...i think i waffled lol but managed to ask if referrals were sent via email, nhs system or snail mail...

she said there is a system in place and it was sent on the 30th (which is the day i went to the docs)

i HAVE however had a missed call yesterday afternoon (mortified) from an unknown number, i dont recall the last time i had a missed call!!!! :(

oh well, ill call monday......its only the weekend to wait lol

I am calling again on Monday as well. I don't want to be a pain. But, he has a habit of dragging his feet.
Good luck!

I am calling again on Monday as well. I don't want to be a pain. But, he has a habit of dragging his feet.
Good luck!
now ive been confirmed with sleep apnoea im on mines case tomorrow too hahaha good luck to all of us xxx

oooosh!! monday is now only one sleep away lol

Caren said:
now ive been confirmed with sleep apnoea im on mines case tomorrow too hahaha good luck to all of us xxx

They have no excuse now! Good luck!!!

Back