• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why didnt gastric banding work for Anne Diamond

Hi Linz,

The way you talk about your surgery is more or less the way I used the tight waist on my jeans to control me, that was until I discovered stretchy pants with unlimited waist room and as husband says they really became my down fall.

{quote}

Mini...what a fantastic idea...I will try this when I get down to that weight again...chuck out my elasticated waistbands and wear rigid ones...never thought of this before...

xxx

I think stretchy pants and waistbands are the downfall of all of us - when I get to goal all of mine are going out too :)

A friend of mine decided to have a belly chain when she lost all her weight. She wears it all the time, and when it starts to get tight she cuts down on her food :cool:

Oooh that's a good idea - I'd keep getting the dogs paws stuck in it when I picked them up though :(

She tucks it under her clothes you Nana!! :rolleyes: :p

Id like that full feeling too. Thats y i had the band and it is making me feel full so far and dropping the weight, so fingers crossed it will continue. As for Anne diamond she must have been eating choc and crisps that slip through the band easily and keeping her weight up. ind regards R x

Id like that full feeling too. Thats y i had the band and it is making me feel full so far and dropping the weight, so fingers crossed it will continue. As for Anne diamond she must have been eating choc and crisps that slip through the band easily and keeping her weight up. ind regards R x

No it is because it was in the wrong place :) its been well and truly documented since this thread was last out in 2006

No it is because it was in the wrong place :) its been well and truly documented since this thread was last out in 2006
She supposedly had it refitted again and lost all of the weight, but i did read in a magazine back in october that she has started to regain some of the weight again and there was a recent picture of her in the magazine, and to be honest i started to wonder if i was chosing the right procedure because i read it a week before my op. x

That is a shame. You really can't base your choice on someone else's success or failure. People can succeed or fail at almost anything if they really put their mind to it.

In America, Carney Wilson was one of the first famous people to have the RNY gastric bypass and she has gained back 50% of her loss and is now again obese. That is not something that happens all the time but she admits to working against her surgery. WLS is a tool and if you make an effort to get around your tool then you will fail at sustained weight loss- but the important thing to remember is EFFORT. You make the choice and then exert effort to make your choice come true. A positive attitude is a very under-rated tool but makes all the difference in the world.

Take care.:)

My weight loss journey has been one that has gone on since I was 10 years old. I remember my mother putting me on the cambridge diet at 10 which obviously failed and so my emotional journey started.

I was gaining a stone for every year of my life until 18 when it went crazy and by the age of 25 I was around 34 stone.

I had my first wls at that time which was the classic stomach stappling surgery, a vertical banded gastroplasty and it was the most horrific experience of my life. Attitude towards hugely over weight people at the time was at the least criminal and during my hospital stay I was treated in such a bad way that I discharged myself from hospital and vowed I would never go back, and I did n't. I did n't have any dietry advice or any medical check ups from the day I left hospital. My surgery did n't work, I lost around 4 stone and shortly after that I was unable to eat anything except the things that slid down easily.. chocolate, icecream bla bla. I would experience terrible pain if I tried to eat healthy things, meat, salads, chicken, vegetables etc. The pain would last for hours, sometimes days if I ate them.

Two years ago I gained the courage to go to my new gp about these things and he referred me to Mr Pollard in St James in Leeds and he started investigations as to what was happening with my inital surgery. He was n't able to find out the problem, infact was n't even able to find the original staple line so after lots of discussions he said he would operate and hopefully, depeneding on what he found inside. What he did find, the cause of all my pain and suffering for ten years was that a band that was meant to be around the top of my stomach where the food enters had slipped down and was around the bottom of my stomach so food was n't able to leave my stomach easily.. except those things mentioned above. He was able to give me a brand new bypass, although he had to do my bypass alot further down than normal and my surgery took 5 and half hours, 3 hours longer than usual.

My experience this time has been amazing, nothing like the original one. I was treated with total respect, never once made to feel worthless and have now got a brandnew outlook on life.

It's been now 4 weeks since my second wls, have lost 33 pounds so far and I'm on the up and so so happy with how I feel and my new attitude towards food, I may aswell have had a brain transplant as since the surgery i've not felt hungry and have been so concsious of my pouch, never even getting near to filling it, don't want to stretch it as this really is my last chance to be healthier and get to my goal.

My story here is just to show that sometimes weight loss surgery can be repeated or adjusted when things don't go right the first time.

Last edited:
My weight loss journey has been one that has gone on since I was 10 years old. I remember my mother putting me on the cambridge diet at 10 which obviously failed and so my emotional journey started.

I was gaining a stone for every year of my life until 18 when it went crazy and by the age of 25 I was around 34 stone.

I had my first wls at that time which was the classic stomach stappling surgery, a vertical banded gastroplasty and it was the most horrific experience of my life. Attitude towards hugely over weight people at the time was at the least criminal and during my hospital stay I was treated in such a bad way that I discharged myself from hospital and vowed I would never go back, and I did n't. I did n't have any dietry advice or any medical check ups from the day I left hospital. My surgery did n't work, I lost around 4 stone and shortly after that I was unable to eat anything except the things that slid down easily.. chocolate, icecream bla bla. I would experience terrible pain if I tried to eat healthy things, meat, salads, chicken, vegetables etc. The pain would last for hours, sometimes days if I ate them.

Two years ago I gained the courage to go to my new gp about these things and he referred me to Mr Pollard in St James in Leeds and he started investigations as to what was happening with my inital surgery. He was n't able to find out the problem, infact was n't even able to find the original staple line so after lots of discussions he said he would operate and hopefully, depeneding on what he found inside. What he did find, the cause of all my pain and suffering for ten years was that a band that was meant to be around the top of my stomach where the food enters had slipped down and was around the bottom of my stomach so food was n't able to leave my stomach easily.. except those things mentioned above. He was able to give me a brand new bypass, although he had to do my bypass alot further down than normal and my surgery took 5 and half hours, 3 hours longer than usual.

My experience this time has been amazing, nothing like the original one. I was treated with total respect, never once made to feel worthless and have now got a brandnew outlook on life.

It's been now 4 weeks since my second wls, have lost 33 pounds so far and I'm on the up and so so happy with how I feel and my new attitude towards food, I may aswell have had a brain transplant as since the surgery i've not felt hungry and have been so concsious of my pouch, never even getting near to filling it, don't want to stretch it as this really is my last chance to be healthier and get to my goal.

My story here is just to show that sometimes weight loss surgery can be repeated or adjusted when things don't go right the first time.

fab story thanks for sharing xx

It's interesting these old threads have been revived.

Well I'm interested as I'm considering wls. :giggle:

there are some great old posts .

but some really old ones are not to relevant to now. change of ideas and people there on about and so on!. but there well worth reading if you want more info .

i know i went from start to finish with them in august :Dlol

I know, the thread about sharon osbourne talking to michael parkinson I was thinking damn I missed that, then saw 2006 was post date lol.

Back