• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why do people try and jeopardise their operations?

yes bev - where ya going? ya cant be leaving us ! we neeeeed you! ya best keep cuming on to keep me in check and excercising, lol
heres to the group hug!:grouphugg:

I would just like to say Bev, that I love your posts too, and so enjoy reading them, as it shines through that you are a wonderful, kind, thoughtful person.
I don't post very often, but am on here most of the day reading through everything.
Shall look forward to seeing your next post, take care of yourself hun, you are special xxx

hmmm....

Long term members will remember that I had a similar attitude to the op whilst I was waiting for surgery, but my attitide changed completely when I got off the operating table and realised I had had stomach surgery and not brain surgery.

All of the years of misusing food dont disappear overnight. Most of us (I do appreciate not all) are here, having WLS because we couldnt control the volume of food we ate, and we had failed at dieting.

I have lost 8 1/2 stone in 11 months. Yes, maybe I would be at target now if I hadnt had the occasional biscuit or packet of crisps during my journey, but so what. Normal people have "treats" and moderation is the key. Moderation is something my bypass has enabled me to finally get control over.

Do I think I have wasted the gift the NHS gave me? Do I hell! Do I think Im less deserving of surgery than someone who promises never to eat a biscuit again? Absolutely not.

I hate this constant comparison between private and nhs patients as well. Most of us would have jumped at the chance to go private if we could afford it. Saying that private patients have the right to jeapordise their ops, whilst NHS patients have no right to do that is offfensive in my opinion.

I totally agree Sam. I would also add that you (Jaffa) obviously never suffered from an addiction and therefore not experienced how hard it is to break that addiction - NHS or self paying. I notice that your starting weight wasn't that high so even food addiction probably didn't apply to you. As someone who has worked extensively with addicts (and watched my brother kill himself with booze) I have witnessed first hand how hard they have tried to give it up and failed. I'm sorry, but I have a bit more compassion for people that find it hard to give up something that has probably been a life long habit and as long as the weight is goind down a treat now and again is acceptable and not failing in my book. Sorry if any offence is caused but that's my opinion just as you are entitled to yours.

Oh Jaffa Cake, you make it sound so easy to control a habit! Paul xx

I know I wasn't addicted to food - I'm still not - but then I don't think I have an addictive personality - I take large amounts of analgesia daily - but have never been tempted to take more than the recommended dose nor needed to - I have developed tolerance and suffered withdrawal - but not addiction.

As from earlier posts I have lived with addiction - hubby is a recovering alcoholic - and always will be.

As from Charis' earlier post - we never know what goes on behind others closed doors

Addiction in our house led to hubby and I separating on and off for 7 years - more off than on at times - he came back when too poorly to look after himself. I never stopped loving him but more often than not didn't like him at all - or what all the upset did to our daughters. :cry:

Well done Sam on the silver star - thats what you are - a star.!!!

Not sure why I posted this - just needed to get it off my chest

Thanks for reading

Angela xx

Let's get back to Bev...

Bev before weight loss surgery we tend to reward ourselves with food, however i know how committed you are to your pre op health and diet so i've had a brainwave!! Doesn't happen often..

Rather than reward yourself with food for all the exercise you do, why not allow half an hour pc time for every half hour exercise? Or similar? That way himself and us (your shiny new friends) will be happy?

If you agree with this suggestion everyone copy n paste it to the thread to show Bev some love xxx

Let's get back to Bev...

Bev before weight loss surgery we tend to reward ourselves with food, however i know how committed you are to your pre op health and diet so i've had a brainwave!! Doesn't happen often..

Rather than reward yourself with food for all the exercise you do, why not allow half an hour pc time for every half hour exercise? Or similar? That way himself and us (your shiny new friends) will be happy?

If you agree with this suggestion everyone copy n paste it to the thread to show Bev some love xxx

Good idea!

tranquil

Let's get back to Bev...

Good idea Julie.

Bev, you know it makes sense.

good idea!!! ( being blonde dont no how to get the message on here!_ x

Bless you Julie, Tranquil and all...

It should be me thinking of you all!

I am blessed to feel such loving arms around me... and I send the same back to you all...

It's a heck of a journey for us all... I am a great believer in Positive Thinking (having had cancer treatment and still having the possibility for more) but that doesn't mean taking myself to bed and throwing away the key.

The weight loss surgery is intended to help my long term type 1 diabetic problems and this will reflect upon the tumour that I have which is currently being monitored very closely at a wonderful hospital in the Wirral, Merseyside, called Clatterbridge (CCO) ~ (Clatterbridge Centre for Oncology). Hope this is the correct formal address Shell...

Don't feel any sympathy in any way... because the way forward is with my best foot. Which is what I always put first!

Thanks to Keeley... I am getting fitter and stronger by the day and I shall establish myself at the Salford group meeting.

My husband has some reluctance for me to have the WLS surgery, but it is a decision taken with the blessing of my Consultants and I hope that in the future, when I have gathered a bit of reputation (not bad reputation I hope) I can help other diabetic sufferers, those living with cancer and have an understanding of those going through the ups and downs of WLS.

I shall do my best to keep upright and sit on here... since I have a spinal problem... it's difficult at times... but my husband last night asked me to have a computer break... he has a thing in his head about chatrooms.... he calls them... silly man...
But he means well...

Then I did my exercise for most of the morning... felt like something was missing and it was my lovely wonderful pals on here, some of which have texted me and some have emailed and I said to my hubby, I love these friends.... so here I am...

We walk together, we shoulder our tears and we stand strong against adversity... there's only one way for it.... that to go UP, but DOWN on the scales.....

Much love and hugs to every one of you xxx

Last edited:
good idea & ha ha Kelly neither do i, must b a blonde thing!! x

glad to see that positive beautiful thinking you have bev! you so strong and upbeat im full of admiration for you, to keep this high spirit up well done you ((hugs))........

i can see where the hubba is coming from, mine to said this, actually last year when i was on a pregnancy one my hubba said same to me but said i bet your talking to some weirdo pretending etc etc or a man ... tut ...... its onlky because they worry, but so far i havent seen any sign or sniff of trolls, everyone seems genuine and lovely and thats why i like coming here, plus nearly everyone meets up at the groups and hospital, so this site is a kinda exclusive group haha as most people know each other! even lovely liz has said she d meet me at the hospital......

take care bev! and i hope and pray this tumour stays under control and is forever beaten! xxxxx

Girls, you just press the quote button :)

Bev it's lovely to see your gorgeous face back where it belongs xx

The weight loss surgery is intended to help my long term type 1 diabetic problems and this will reflect upon the tumour that I have which is currently being monitored very closely at a wonderful hospital in Cheshire, called Clatterbridge.

Being pedantic now, so will apologise in advance, Clatterbridge is in Wirral, which is part of Merseyside. It used to be Cheshire, up until about 30 years ago, when Merseyside was formed.

I live just up the road, and attend alot of outpatient appointments there myself, and used to work regularly in CCO about 14 years ago.

It's always Cheshire to me Shel... old habits I don't change my thinking when boundaries of counties change... xxx

ooooo its that easy?! haha x

My mothers the same Bev, which is probably why I get pedantic about it! It's understandable, Cheshire is a fair bit nicer than Merseyside! I tend to rant when people say 'The Wirral' aswell. Actually, I just rant.

hahahha shelbel xx

Talking of jeopardising the ops, I have seen some that make a concious decision not to stick to any of the rules as they "still lose weight anyway"! It is a problem which my GP discussed with me. He said this was the problem in selecting who to refer as some patients do everything they are told to, some do as much as they can and find it difficult and some fight it all the way. It is not easy and has hard times but if asked I always tell people to give it as much as you can as you dont know how long it will help you lose for.
x

Have your rant if you feel better Shel...
I am in North Wales, so anywhere over the border seems like Cheshire from here...
Can never remember boundaries... most important thing to me is that it's an excellent Oncology Unit
Best wishes to you too!
xxx

Back