• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why is PROTEIN so important

kirstyjade

I Know we're supposed to have 60g of protein a day but why? Why is it so important? I find it hard to get that much down as I don't really like meat

From my guidelines for eating after surgery, i hope this helps.

You will need to make sure you are getting enough protein, vitamins, and minerals while you are losing weight quickly. Eating mostly protein, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains will help your body get the nutrients it needs.

Protein may be the most important of these foods early after surgery. Your body needs protein to build muscles and other body tissues, and to heal well after surgery. Low-fat protein choices include:

Skinless chicken
Lean beef or pork
Fish
Whole eggs or egg whites
Beans
Dairy products, which includes low-fat or nonfat hard cheeses, cottage cheese, milk, and yogurt.

I wondered this to and ended up asking!
It's because your body needs the protein to heal after the operation and it's a major part of all your body's functions :)

The body does not produce protein. Losing weight will cause your body to burn calories from the fat your body has stored.When there is no fat left it will start using muscle so this is why your muscles waste away that's why you need the protein to keep your muscles built up preventing you from getting weak and becoming ill. :)

If you're struggling then might be worth considering protein shakes/drinks like body builders use. I use the Syntrax range as they taste like squash rather than milkshake. If I'm down on protein blitz it up with some berries or other fruit, sometimes nuts or seeds, even a spoon of milk powder will add protein without the fat or carbs.

Does anyone use Protein Powders, shakes or bars. The Americans talk about them all the time but my surgeon and dietician both wanted me to get my protein from my food. Am I missing something ?

I mentioned protein shakes and was told they are OK but meal replacement shakes were better as you get more variation of nutrients, it all depends who your providers are I would ask them!

I have like 2kg of protein mix now :p

Back