• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why why why

Witch
I am not saying it is going to be easy and we all have to work at it, but l believe l have been given a 'gift'. I have spent over 40years of struggling with my weight and believe that wls has given me a new lease of life.

I'm sure I am going to get some flack for this but people are only human, with their own issues and triggers and emotions .... some of the posts about their 'gift' make it sound easy and straightforward and this process, whether surgical or not, simply isn't.

I am thinking of having a takeaway tonight ... I have no targetted weight loss, no date for surgery, just a set of guidelines and some seminars to attend in september. Does this mean I am not worthy? that I should quit now for some more deserving soul? That I don't deserve surgery, that I am not ready?

No it doesn't, it means I have taken a decision about what I will eat and I take responsibility for it. How will I feel afterwards ... hopefully ok because this is a planned meal, but if I had fallen off the wagon because of a problem I would feel like poo and would hope I would get more support than to be thrown under the bus. I have no idea how this person feels about breaking their diet - maybe it will stop their operation, maybe it has taught them a lesson which means the rest of the process will be fine. Or maybe they aren't ready for surgery.

I have no idea, but to my friends who are currently supporting me with their time and effort, please understand if I don't live up to your expectations.

xxx
We are all afraid of failing. Desperately, completely afraid. We know the sheer magnitude of our eating issues and I don't for a minute feel that you should have to apologise for eating a balanced diet, and that does include the odd treat now and then. Equally I don't know anyone who is infallible - we all have those weeks where we have too many meals out, or days where we just don't have the time, or something happens. That's life and its completely normal. But when you're going for something life changing the last thing you should be doing is going in thinking that people will have a go at you if you cheat. And by that I mean you've got to hold yourself accountable, because the person you will cheat is you. I'm not perfect. But I was during the preop, those brief two weeks that could save your life. And 16 months down the line I am still losing weight. I wish I could show you how my earlier mindset has helped me now, but until you've walked the path you won't know. And by then its too late to choose. So while yes, ultimately every meal is your choice, and noone will lambast you for one takeaway, why would you choose to deny yourself the best chance for a successful surgery? Either that, or your not making the choices and emotional eating is taking control, in which case you are not ready for wls and you need help from your team. Please don't take this as me being horrible, because I'm not, and fear is normal. But if you really can't overcome your emotional eating for 14 days please get some help before you go under the knife.

Exactly Yve ... Even I have had the very occasional treats but just made better choices/portions but the preop isn't negotiable. It is just not worth the risk and if one can not control their appetites and use coping skills to do so then they are sooo not ready.

I'm sure I am going to get some flack for this but people are only human, with their own issues and triggers and emotions .... some of the posts about their 'gift' make it sound easy and straightforward and this process, whether surgical or not, simply isn't.

I am thinking of having a takeaway tonight ... I have no targetted weight loss, no date for surgery, just a set of guidelines and some seminars to attend in september. Does this mean I am not worthy? that I should quit now for some more deserving soul? That I don't deserve surgery, that I am not ready?

No it doesn't, it means I have taken a decision about what I will eat and I take responsibility for it. How will I feel afterwards ... hopefully ok because this is a planned meal, but if I had fallen off the wagon because of a problem I would feel like poo and would hope I would get more support than to be thrown under the bus. I have no idea how this person feels about breaking their diet - maybe it will stop their operation, maybe it has taught them a lesson which means the rest of the process will be fine. Or maybe they aren't ready for surgery.

I have no idea, but to my friends who are currently supporting me with their time and effort, please understand if I don't live up to your expectations.

xxx

No of course not. This is a completely different set of circumstance hun, there is a huge difference with this sort of daily struggle, to live with out restriction, dates, plans and targets and cheating whilst you are on the pre op diet, or a week out of surgery, both of which I don't think you would do would you? Nah I didn't think so, you want this more than that and that is the difference. The fact you care is the difference. Also you will probably find if you look through posts that even people who do cheat on the pre op that realise they've made a mistake and do their best not to do it again are supported, told today is a new day sort of thing. It's when people say "yeah well what do you know" that people tend to get frustrated.

Everyone is human and I do think that sometimes, looking at it from the perspective of people who are pre op, sometimes people who are post op seem like they have forgotten where they have come from. I don't think they have because they struggle daily to still fight food problems, to get to goal or to maintain but the further you get out the more your tolerance for people who are looking for a way to cheat on the pre op diet or a couple of weeks post op goes down. Not because you've forgotten but because you remember so well how ****ing hard it was and you know if you can do it, the weakest person you know (actually the strongest person you know ;)), then so can every one else. There is a long time afterwards to make mistakes and get it wrong so it's so important to work hard to get that first bit right if nothing else. I'm confident you will do it and so can everyone else who wants it as much :)

Well said Shelley that's about it in a nutshell ;)

Back