• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

wibble wobble nerves kicked in

paddyp

Is this normal, I am sure it is but I am all of a sudden extremely petrified about surgery tomorrow (rny bypass).

My knees have turned to jelly and I am feeling quite sick. I am so worried that something will go wrong as I have a 12 year old son and I am on my own with him. I'm not so bothered about me but it's him I'm terrified for. It is a safe operation now isn't it? I know I am being silly but does everyone have these fears?

:cry:

Hi Paddy P, I'm just home from having bypass on friday. I was absolutely petrified of not coming round after, cried like a baby as they administered anaesthetic and before. But, all went well and only have positive thoughts now. You'll be fine and i will be thinking of you. I also met H12 - she had her bypass yesterday and is doing great x

Thank you CarrieB. I feel a bit more reassured. I am so glad to hear it went well for you and H12. It's these positive stories that keep me going xx

What you are experiencing is quite normal. You are about to undergo major surgery after all...what you need to remember is WHY you are having the op.

How much better will you and your sons life be afterwards.

I was terrified and cried all the way to the hospital, I had to send my husband away because I needed to focus and settle myself down before the surgeon turned up!!!!!

Know why you're doing this, trust in yourself and especially your team....you WILL be okay.

BELIEVE.....I look forward to your post op post and watching your success:)

I was petrified of anaesthetic and not waking up I cried all the way down to theatre but YOU WILL BE OKAY! xx

Thank you all. I feel such a twit. I can't imagine I'll sleep tonight but I have to try to rest so that I am ready for tomorrow. I just hope I am back home within a day or two as I can't stand the thought of being away from my boy for longer than that. x

You are perfectly normal! Its terrifying putting your life in someone elses hands and knowing that you've done all you can. But you have - you've done everything they've asked and you just need to trust that your surgeon will get you through. I was in hospital two nights. Good luck.

Thank you all. Yve even though I have stuck to the diet I am still, despite all the reassurances I have had so convinced that my liver hasn't shrunk enough that I have hardly eaten anything today (2 poached eggs on toast). I switched to the low fat diet from slimfast as I had got to the point where I just could swallow it and kept bringing it back but the food quantities seem so vast compared to the slimfast that I am convinced that I have eaten too much. Can't blumming win lol. I will be so glad when this is over. x

Bless you sweetheart.

I cried at that. I'm a single mother to a 14 year old boy. I was terrified of not being here for him and wrote loads of letters to him, others etc etc

But here I am 5 moths later & 5.5 stone lighter. Doing stuff together I didn't have energy for last summer and looking forward to a future with him.

Your feelings are totally understandable and people here understand them. I am looking forward to hearing your 'ongoing' story xx

Thank you Lincs Lass. I am desperate to have one good summer with my son. I feel so guilty tonight that I have put food at the forefront of my life for his entire life and he has missed out on having a mum who can run around with him. I have a beach hut and we spend a lot of time there and I often watch him playing in the water or digging a hole in the sand and think that he will never grow up with memories of me doing those things with him, just always sitting in a chair watching. I have to make up for that and spend the rest of his childhood being active with him x

Trust me - there is enough time for memories. And he doesn't see it the way you do - my daughter didn't. She loves that I am slim now, but her original reaction was that she didn't want me to change! You will have many good summers - and you'll be around to have some with his kids too! believe hon- dare to dream.

I totally echo that. My son doesn't see me as fat, never did.

And likewise, he loves we do so much more together but never complained about what we did do.

You do not need to feel guilty at all - just look forward to fun, fun, fun. And sulks, grunts, moans - but then that's just normal teen!!

I cried as l got on the table, the theatre staff are fantastic and so so kind , honestly you are asleep in seconds, next thing l knew l was in recovery.
The doctors and aneathetists are doing this all the time, it is there job and they keep us safe. Try to relax? Helenxx

You are totally normal. I cry on the table everytime I have an anaesthetic! The anaesthatist and surgeons were fantastic with me, they reassured me, cracked jokes and the next thing I remember I was in recovery. They see it all tfd time so don't feel silly. I would worry if you weren't stressing about it!

Good luck with it xxx

Thank you Lincs Lass. I am desperate to have one good summer with my son. I feel so guilty tonight that I have put food at the forefront of my life for his entire life and he has missed out on having a mum who can run around with him. I have a beach hut and we spend a lot of time there and I often watch him playing in the water or digging a hole in the sand and think that he will never grow up with memories of me doing those things with him, just always sitting in a chair watching. I have to make up for that and spend the rest of his childhood being active with him x

Oh Hun, you'll be ok! Just fingers crossed, do your prayers (if you do lol) and try to think about the positives, I had my bypass las week, and I was totally fine, until I went on the operation table,I cried, staff sat with me, stroked my hair and reassured me,next thing I know,I felt dizzy, said I felt dizzy,them I woke up in recovery!

I've got 2 little girls, and I ant wait to start and run around more with them!

Is this normal, I am sure it is but I am all of a sudden extremely petrified about surgery tomorrow (rny bypass).

My knees have turned to jelly and I am feeling quite sick. I am so worried that something will go wrong as I have a 12 year old son and I am on my own with him. I'm not so bothered about me but it's him I'm terrified for. It is a safe operation now isn't it? I know I am being silly but does everyone have these fears?

:cry:

Just less than 3weeks away and I'm experiencing this already. I'm fortunate in that I am not alone and don't have anyone depending on me any more so it is a bit easier but the fear of it going diddy up is still there

Thank you all. I feel such a twit. I can't imagine I'll sleep tonight but I have to try to rest so that I am ready for tomorrow. I just hope I am back home within a day or two as I can't stand the thought of being away from my boy for longer than that. x

Fingers crossed that you are not away from the comforts of home too long x

Thank you all. Yve even though I have stuck to the diet I am still, despite all the reassurances I have had so convinced that my liver hasn't shrunk enough that I have hardly eaten anything today (2 poached eggs on toast). I switched to the low fat diet from slimfast as I had got to the point where I just could swallow it and kept bringing it back but the food quantities seem so vast compared to the slimfast that I am convinced that I have eaten too much. Can't blumming win lol. I will be so glad when this is over. x

Since you have stuck to the pre op diet you will be just fine ... Just think this time tomorrow it will be all over, done and dusted :)

I have so many regrets about being big and how that has affected not just my life but other people's but these are in the past and there is no point to beating ourselves up about it all... You can only put it behind you and live for the now ;)
Your son is young so there is plenty room to make up for lost time

Good luck for tomorrow xx

It's normal to feel the way you are feeling. You will be just fine... All the best...x

Back