• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

WILL I NEVER DUMP????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reema if you are struggling keeping things down and eating firtly you need to go back to basics. fluid fluid and more fluid. when you say you cant drink it is quite often a temprature and flavor thing. some people fimd that only like ice cold drinks others hot drinks some in between its about trial and error and finding what suts you. but if you are suffering headaches it can be a sign of dehydration, so get thoes fluids in it really is important and wether you like them or not you really do need to have plenty. At yr stage post op you really cant have too much fluid.
secondly i would get back in touch wih my provider it sounds as though they have only done half a job and you surely didnt pay for only that. they need to give you proper dietary advive and also maybe some psycological spport. being hungry 5 weeks post op is a head issue as physical hunger doesnt return til much later in the process.
i know you say you dont like soups but the supermarkets do some lovely fresh ones these days and along side then are the covent garden ones. taste nothing like them out of a tin.
As i say go back to basics and once and only once you are tolorating fre fluids move onto the next stage of pureed it really does sound as though yr pouch is rebelling at the crap yr putting in it.
take care and dont try to run take it nice and staedy and you will have great results.
carole

Hi Reema.

Everyone who posts on here has had a bad relationship with food. They aren't here because of their 'glands' etc, each and everyone one without exception 'overindulged'. They are being sharp with you, because they care about you and want you back on the losing bench. Sometimes a pat on the head and a 'there there' won't cut it.
Obviously you are hungry, you need to get in touch with your team. I'm only 2 weeks post op, and I am starting to be driven mad by cooking smells.

I can understand your curiosity about dumping. I have been wondering about that myself. Actually I think it may have happened to me a year ago when I overindulged in a box of Lindors and got very sick and sweaty.

Just leave the rubbish foods alone, you may love them, but they don't love you back.

Reema when i struggle to eat it is usually down to me not having had enoguh fluids to lubricate the way for the food. Dehydration, even mild dehydration will prevent you swollowing as you should. Experiment with fluids, i am currently sipping oxo due to an inability to stomach coffee. I have swings in what i can and cannot get past my mouth. get the fluids in and you will not feel hungery. Most bypassers do not feel physically hungeery for the first 6 months, what your feeling now is most likely head hunger and that you do need to get under control. Drinking more should help you long term with your weight loss as well as managing your greatly reduced diet.

hey silver surfer thank you so much for your advice yes i will give them a call now and dont you worry i wont go there again to tell you the truth hun i never have been a chocolate lover i wasn't able to have tablets at this stage so my friend which had the wls said chocolate help and i took her advice and was shocked that i was OK with it..Take care..xxx

hey silver surfer thank you so much for your advice yes i will give them a call now and dont you worry i wont go there again to tell you the truth hun i never have been a chocolate lover i wasn't able to have tablets at this stage so my friend which had the wls said chocolate help and i took her advice and was shocked that i was OK with it..Take care..xxx

We all live and learn Reema - had you had a massive dump you wouldn't have been thanking your friend for suggesting chocolate right now ;)

If your like me and a non dumper, then your going to need to be more careful with your diet and what you eat, it can be a curse or a blessing being either a dumper or a non dumper, i can go and eat where ever i like and not have to worry about having a reaction to food, though because of this i have to watch what i do and dont eat carefully, though your still early days so you may experience dumping at some point with other foods.

Take the advice here as positive and move forward, do get in touch with your team and ask to speak to there dietician and get the advice and diet sheets they have to offer, if you mess up tell them and ask for advice, i mess up all the time and have bad days, its how it goes and just part of the journey......!

As others have said try and get your fluid intake up, try different things until you find a drink you can tollerate ok, things change and do get better in time so what you cant drink today you may be able to in the weeks to come.

Head hungers a bad one to some degree is always going to be there as a temptation, though filling yourself up with the right foods i've found helps me control head hunger, it does get better, but there's always the old temptations to contend with.

Hey guys i cant believe that i just had a crunchie bar how i could have that i dont know as I'm having problems eating an keeping anything in but I'm so confused about the fact that i was able to have chocolate with out being sick and I'm only 5weeks post op i am not sure how all this works please help me with any advice.most appreciated..:eek:

Hi Reema

I totally understand where your coming from. I still 3.5 months down the line struggle with food, (actually saying that i've had a really good week this week and kept down a tiny jacket potatoe, well the inside of it with shredded salad and tuna, and some corned beef hash) but its been so hard for me. I see all the posts saying people can eat but I just cant, I can eat peanuts, and bombay mix altho small quantities but I cant eat cabbage or grapes or chicken. I can eat mini cheddars too but not fish??? I have no idea how it works.

I dump more now than I did early on like when I tried to eat a small box of cocoa pops for breakfast, a huge no no as I dumped at work big time.

But I too would eat a biscuit because i knew id keep it down but normal healthy food came straight back up and it gets u down.

Its ok all these people saying dont do this and dont do that but they arnt sick after every single meal like I was. They can mange to keep small quantities of normal health food down where as I couldn't. Every single meal time I tried new stuff, chewed like mad, ate slowly and still I threw it back up with in 20 minutes.

I wouldn't advise you eat chocolate of course but I just wanted to say Bypass isn't a miracle cure for your bad habbits, and its ok that you made a mistake and ate chocolate as long as you realise it is a mistake and try to avoid it. Especially if you dont dump.

I hope it gets better for you, keep trying the food even if your sick on it one day try it the next week and it might be ok. Slowly does it, chew till its mush and eat really really slow. I have to have a mouthfull or two then put my fork down and wait a couple of minutes before my next lot. Everyone is different and some people sail thru bypass and can eat pretty much anything but less quantity. I am not one of those people and find it very difficult to keep most foods down.

Hopefully time will make things better for us both.

Keep your chin up x

Good luck with your journey and ovecoming your struggles Reema. Where did you have your op if you dont mind me asking? Also can I just say I would seriously be questioning the friendship with this person who has had wls and advised you to eat chocolate for two reasons. Firstly it is very rare for a bypasser not to know that sugar and chocolate can cause dumping and secondly, It is known that chocolate actually causes headaches especially migraines, in all of my life I have never happened upon anyone who has offered up chocolate as a cure for a headache, I suspect this person is taking the pee out of you (i hope they arent but suspect they might be).

It sounds like you have headaches caused by lack of fluids so like others have said I think the first thing you need to do is make a serious effort at increasing your fluids you need to be aiming for 2ltrs a day which is the size of a large fizzy drinks bottle incase you are unsure. You can use non sweetened fresh fruit juice mixed with half water (only 1 glass per day of the fruit/water) or sugar free vimto with boiled water (as much as you can manage).

Are you having trouble with ss milk too? If not try and have a pint a day, the easiest way to have this is in coffee. warm a mug of milk add coffee and sweetener (splenda is ok) I find this quite comforting and being as I was never a big coffee drinker pre op I decided to have decaf coffee so I can have one as a nightcap.

Also crusha do a sugar free milkshake syrup which is good.

Dont forget too, all your daily milk drinks count towards your daily fluid intake and contains roughly 20g of protein :)

Hi Reema

I totally understand where your coming from. I still 3.5 months down the line struggle with food, (actually saying that i've had a really good week this week and kept down a tiny jacket potatoe, well the inside of it with shredded salad and tuna, and some corned beef hash) but its been so hard for me. I see all the posts saying people can eat but I just cant, I can eat peanuts, and bombay mix altho small quantities but I cant eat cabbage or grapes or chicken. I can eat mini cheddars too but not fish??? I have no idea how it works.

I dump more now than I did early on like when I tried to eat a small box of cocoa pops for breakfast, a huge no no as I dumped at work big time.

But I too would eat a biscuit because i knew id keep it down but normal healthy food came straight back up and it gets u down.

Its ok all these people saying dont do this and dont do that but they arnt sick after every single meal like I was. They can mange to keep small quantities of normal health food down where as I couldn't. Every single meal time I tried new stuff, chewed like mad, ate slowly and still I threw it back up with in 20 minutes.

I wouldn't advise you eat chocolate of course but I just wanted to say Bypass isn't a miracle cure for your bad habbits, and its ok that you made a mistake and ate chocolate as long as you realise it is a mistake and try to avoid it. Especially if you dont dump.

I hope it gets better for you, keep trying the food even if your sick on it one day try it the next week and it might be ok. Slowly does it, chew till its mush and eat really really slow. I have to have a mouthfull or two then put my fork down and wait a couple of minutes before my next lot. Everyone is different and some people sail thru bypass and can eat pretty much anything but less quantity. I am not one of those people and find it very difficult to keep most foods down.

Hopefully time will make things better for us both.

Keep your chin up x
hey hun thank u so much for our advice i will stay away from chocolate 4ever and try and eat and keep i down as I'm having problems with that..best of luck to you hun and hang in there life will only get better..xxx

I can eat chocolate, I can even eat crisps and biscuits and I don't dump.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Obviously I don't recommend thats what you should eat, but
If I can eat it and keep it down, a little of what I want don't hurt me. I still lose weight.

I did believe that my bypass would stop me eating chocolate and bad things, how was i suppose to know that I would not be capable of dumping !!!!!!

I went private after spending months and months carrying out research on a Gastric Bypass, I don't believe just because we pay for it, it makes us less knowledgeable. To me it makes us more desperate to shift the fat. I would not shell out thousands of pounds to have a proceedure I know nothing about.

I also don't believe that people commenting like they know better helps anyone. What works for one does not necessarily work for another.

Beating someone up just cos they ate chocolate is out of order, it's not the end of the world.

Reema, you had a gastric bypass, not a brain transplant.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Don't be so hard on yourself. Obviously I don't recommend thats what you should eat, but
If I can eat it and keep it down, a little of what I want don't hurt me. I still lose weight.

I did believe that my bypass would stop me eating chocolate and bad things, how was i suppose to know that I would not be capable of dumping !!!!!!

I went private after spending months and months carrying out research on a Gastric Bypass, I don't believe just because we pay for it, it makes us less knowledgeable. To me it makes us more desperate to shift the fat. I would not shell out thousands of pounds to have a proceedure I know nothing about.

I also don't believe that people commenting like they know better helps anyone. What works for one does not necessarily work for another.

Beating someone up just cos they ate chocolate is out of order, it's not the end of the world.

Awww Thank you hun that's exactly what i mean if we wasn't serious we wouldn't spend so much money on this surgery and yes we still remain human i kn o alot of people that would try everything but wouldn't say a thing just because i was honest I'm getting all the not so nice comments i posted this because i am only 5weeks an still trying to learn an i just couldnt understand we all have to start somewhere and it sure will take time..all the best to you hun we have paid for this for a good reason and it will work for us and its not easy at all..take care hun..xxxx

I agree with you FA - I jumped head first into my private op, but i knew i wanted it, it was my last chance and i'd done my research and knew exactly what i was getting into, i've since the op re educated myself towards a more healthy life style and embraced my chosen WLS procedure with open arms. I was also very lucky to have chosen what i consider one of the best WLS organisations selling these procedures on the market today, there expert care and advice, plus having access to one of the best surgeons in his chosen field i think has greatly helped my journey.

I've always believed in allowing myself a treat from time to time, as you rightly say we are human and the desire to eat nice (considered naughty) foods will always be with us, though as i said earlier i'm in control of my eating and when i indulge myself i know what i'm doing, those of you newly modified will be reading in horror, but please trust me your desire to eat and eat bad things will someday return, its your ability to control this that will make the difference to weather you maintain or gain weight..........!

My problems are slightly different to all of yours now i'm considered longer term and trying to maintain weight rather than lose now, becuase my exercise level is so high i'm finding it hard to get my amount of calories in a day, i simply cant eat the volume of foods i need, so i have to cram in calories by eating ice cream covered in double cream and chocolate sauce and other baddies :D just to get my cals up per day to the correct amount :8855:

I agree with you FA - I jumped head first into my private op, but i knew i wanted it, it was my last chance and i'd done my research and knew exactly what i was getting into, i've since the op re educated myself towards a more healthy life style and embraced my chosen WLS procedure with open arms. I was also very lucky to have chosen what i consider one of the best WLS organisations selling these procedures on the market today, there expert care and advice, plus having access to one of the best surgeons in his chosen field i think has greatly helped my journey.

I've always believed in allowing myself a treat from time to time, as you rightly say we are human and the desire to eat nice (considered naughty) foods will always be with us, though as i said earlier i'm in control of my eating and when i indulge myself i know what i'm doing, those of you newly modified will be reading in horror, but please trust me your desire to eat and eat bad things will someday return, its your ability to control this that will make the difference to weather you maintain or gain weight..........!

My problems are slightly different to all of yours now i'm considered longer term and trying to maintain weight rather than lose now, becuase my exercise level is so high i'm finding it hard to get my amount of calories in a day, i simply cant eat the volume of foods i need, so i have to cram in calories by eating ice cream covered in double cream and chocolate sauce and other baddies :D just to get my cals up per day to the correct amount :8855:

Omg thats it rub it in you horror :8855:

If thats true your a lucky so n so

Omg thats it rub it in you horror :8855:

If thats true your a lucky so n so

:8855:- Last night i invented a new high cal horror desert ........ Milk chocolate choc ice, in a bowl and cover it in extra thick double cream - the cream freezes to a hard crust all over the choc ice, its delicious ! you get this hard cruchy layer of cream, then the chocolate followed by the ice cream yum :D

Or as an alternative try my ice cream sandwich - layer of ice cream, then a thin layer of chocolate sauce and then a layer on the top thus making a sandwich, cover the lot in cream and let the cream freeze before eating lol lol :8855: fantastic........even better done when with company that are either trying to lose weight or know you have a weight problem lol :8855:

Please note: Dont try this at home, as this is dangerous and you need to be an expert ;) to get away with this sort of eating,

I AGREE wholeheartedly with this comment Reema - please don't beat yourself up. Everyone who has surgery responds differently. I am one of the people who can eat almost anything and not dump, BUT I have watered down fresh orange juice most of the time and one day I dumped on it - it doesn't make sense!!

I found I was extremely nauseous in the first few weeks and the orange juice and water helped me generally. What also helped was having very tiny amounts, waiting an hour and having the same again - so my food was mostly cold :)

Five weeks post op is still very early - and going back to pureed food for a while may help.

A little of what you fancy, if you can keep it down, is good because what you definitely need is fluid and some calories.

Just IMHO
:)

I don't want to get into an argument about this but I beg to differ. People comment like they know better because they do! There are lots of experienced people on here and, without their advice, lots of people would be lost.

You're right what you say about "What works for one doesn't work for another" but if you get everyone who's had a bypass, a sleeve or a band, and asked them to reveal their specific eating plans you will get a resounding 100% agreement that you DO NOT have chocolate. Yes, people can and do, but it's not what advice is given. People can only comment on what they get from the experts. And the experts say, no chocolate, period!

You're right, it's not the end of the world, but it's certainly not the start needed to a whole new world that's possible.

I don't think people were being horrid. They were genuinely shocked and surprised at someone who, 5 weeks after a life threatening operation, were eating the 2 main evils, Chocolate and bread! This can't carry on!

I'm sure all the advice people offer is only meant in a good way and I hope people can see this :D

It looks like Seema has taken this advice on board and I hope she gets the required dietry information from her team. We all want to see another big loser, after all, that's why we are all here xxxx

This for me is the best post on here. I'm shocked at everyone's reaction especially the whole NHS/Private debate as if waiting a year (almost 2 in some cases) because you're lucky enough to qualify for NHS funding some how makes you better and more medically qualified to judge.
It's not the end of the world and to me its quite clear Reema was desperate because she was feeling so ill, dehydrated and hungry. The 'friend' was wrong - however we don't know who this friend was or hwo qualified they are as to why she took their advice.

Remember if we were all so brilliant when it came to weight control we wouldn't have even considered having our natural born state butchered in the name of losing the 5, 6, 10 or 20+ stones overweight we are. Cut her (or him?) some slack please! Weight loss surgery gets an ill-informed and unjustified bad rep as it is without those who have had it drawing judgement and criticism.

Like SilverSurfer has said ... put it down to an error in judgement and learn from the mistake [sic] and additionally take up his offer of letting him give you the stuff he received, if not he can send it to me ;)

This for me is the best post on here. I'm shocked at everyone's reaction especially the whole NHS/Private debate as if waiting a year (almost 2 in some cases) because you're lucky enough to qualify for NHS funding some how makes you better and more medically qualified to judge.
It's not the end of the world and to me its quite clear Reema was desperate because she was feeling so ill, dehydrated and hungry. The 'friend' was wrong - however we don't know who this friend was or hwo qualified they are as to why she took their advice.

Remember if we were all so brilliant when it came to weight control we wouldn't have even considered having our natural born state butchered in the name of losing the 5, 6, 10 or 20+ stones overweight we are. Cut her (or him?) some slack please! Weight loss surgery gets an ill-informed and unjustified bad rep as it is without those who have had it drawing judgement and criticism.

Like SilverSurfer has said ... put it down to an error in judgement and learn from the mistake [sic] and additionally take up his offer of letting him give you the stuff he received, if not he can send it to me ;)
Thank you so much for understanding what I'm going through i was really frustrated hungry ill and very shocked that i was able to eat half the bar to tell you the truth hun i could of had it all but i stopped my self but i wont be going there ever again we all need support and help and advice..All the best..xxx

Reema,

I'm not saying the others didn't understand, but I guess their shock and caring permeated through in their posts.

It's worth noting that dumping isn't the method by whcih you lose the weight or control what you eat. Dumping is the body's reaction to a food. You have to know that the control and choices are made by you and not the bypass thus you are the author of your own story.

The bypass doesn't control you - you control it!

I'm sorry! I dont agree, yes we all have had our bypass/bands for the same reason.
However most of us treat the bypass/band with respect and dont shovel the first bit of chocolate etc down our necks that we can get hold of.
Its hard for everyone, we have all felt like crap from time to time since our ops.
I dont except these excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back