• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

WHY IS IT I DONT DUMP?

reema

Hey you guys well i just had some haagen daz pralines and cream and did i enjoy it yummy..
but i dont understand why i dont dump as some people have rice and they dump really dont understand how it works?:confused::confused:

lamornamiss

wants to be a loser
Not every one dumps.
Most people avoid foods that may make them dump out of pure fear of dumping.

I for one had a small dish of cornish ice cream and was fine but a few days later I had 4 teaspoons of sugar free angel delight and dumped big time. Go figure that one

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
could it maybe be something to do with the length of the bypass ? concerning if you dump or not, id also like to have a proper explaination why some dump and others dont.

ladylite

I dont think there is an explanation it like why can some people eat loads and not get fat and others put on weight easily.

Caroline101061

dont think there is a particular reason - its your body chemistry. Ive dumped once in 14 months and that was early on and from carbs (called late dumping). It wasnt pleasant and now I make sure I have protein at every meal with a carb and it hasnt happened again. I work on the assumption that if I have anything with a high sugar content that I will dump so avoid it completely and having made that choice, now really really dont miss it any more. I avoid the confectionary and puddings at the supermarket as they arent for me. On the occasions that I do fancy something sweet, an Atkins endulgance treat does the trick. Actually to be honest with you, rather than craving food, I now find it boring. I think I have retrained my head. Now if I can get rid of this last 28 lbs then I will be happy but the scales are not moving and have not moved for nearly three months - hey ho! Size 16 aint that bad

jaynefrances

I'm to scared to find out ! I just avoid more than a taste of anything sweet. I have had some unpleasant late dumping from high fat foods, where i feel very nauseous and uncomfortable and quite a few incidences that i refer to as " mini dumps" from sweet things, where i get quite light headed and very hot along with palpitations and then i get very sleepy, so i only ever have a little bit of anything sugary as i can't bear the thoughts of a full sugar dump. Its still hard at times as i would love to have some ice cream or a milk shake as a treat, but i'm getting used to having nuts or crisps as a treat instead to break up the monotony of salad and eggs !
I have a tendency to overproduce insulin due to PCOS and have often wondered if it makes me more susceptible to sugar dumping ?

angie790

I think why some people dump & some people don't is one of those million dollar questions! It may have something to do with what you have eaten throughout the day already. If you have eaten low-carb, low-sugar, low-glycaemic foods, your blood glucose levels would not rise so high and would then subsequently be returned to normal levels more quickly after eating (typically around 2 hours). If you eat a high-carb, high-sugar or high-glycaemic meal, it can take the body much longer to reduce & stabilise blood glucose levels, so if someone eats a small bowl of ice-cream an hour or two after eating, it could just tip the blood glucose levels over the edge...and bingo you dump (and I'm not suggesting anyone is eating badly here...it's just that we all know foods can vary greatly in ingredients).

Also, we are all very different and we will each metabolise foods/drinks at very different rates. Other factors may include any medication we may be on, whether we have any diseases (rate of metabolism in diabetics would be very different from non-diabetics), how much we exercise etc.

i dont really dump anymore, i did in my early days. from time to time if i push my luck i may feel a bit poop for 20 mins or so, but it passes. however i have developed hypoglycemia, and thats far worse then any dumping i ever had. my blood sugar drops so low some times, when i have had a carb heavy day or when i havent eaten much and then have something high in carbs.

its odd the way the body works, even odder when you re plumb it!

.x.

hopelesscase

Ive never dumped but equally choose not to have anything that should make me and can say hand on belly i miss nothing!!! but didnt really have a sweet tooth anyway!!

Twiggie

Its still hard at times as i would love to have some ice cream or a milk shake as a treat....

You still can :)

There is a special diabetic ice cream (Frank's) which I have occasionally, or sometimes put a spoonful into a protein shake. You can also buy sugar free milk shake syrup (Crusha) which I almost lived on during my pre-op and liquid stage of post-op.

phatmomma

Sugar free crusha is delish, never thought of putting a bit of ice cream in it to give it the McD's feel... But then i don't want to start that i'll like it so much it won't be an occasional treat...

I had a raised temp and felt pants for a couple of minutes after some angel delight when i had it the first time but this soon passed and never happened second time around xx

Katastrophe

Love My Bypass !
I have skinny cow ice-creams or mini milks - which also add a bit of protein. Have also had a solero a couple of times and didn't dump ( not all at once mind ;) )

BIG KIM

I am a *NEW* Man!
Think yourself lucky. I have dumped only once, but it was once too many. :(

gaelic girl

Loving Being a Loser
I agree with Wendy i tend to avoid certain foods for fear of dumping. I have only mildly dumped once at about 6 weeks post op on sugar free angel delight yet i had eaten it before without any effect. 10 months on and i still haven't eaten it again for that fear. I'm not sure if there is a reason either why some of us dump and some don't. I seem to be one who doesn't dump and thats why i won't eat very sweet things as i would worry it would have no effect and i have a very sweet tooth and then i'd be back on the road to ruin so to spaek x

Fat Again

I've only dumped twice, once after eating a couple of Prawn Crackers from the Chinese and recently after eating a plain chocolate digestive. It's really weird cos I can eat a couple of milk chocolate digestives and I'm fine.

I can eat chocolate and biscuits, my bypass allows me to eat like a "normal person", i.e. I can eat 1 or 2 biscuits instead of the whole pack or I can have a couple of peices of chocolate instead of the whole bar.

I'm really happy it works that way, you might be the same.

Twiggie

That's several people that have reported dumping on Angel Delight, it also made me dump! I wonder whether there's anything we can do to get them to change their misleading packaging!!

Twiggie

Thats a thought now Twiggie if it really was sugar free i can't see why we would all be dumping x

That's the thing see, it's not actually sugar free, it says "no added sugar" and the front traffic light label which most people look at says it contains just 5.6g sugar, but when you read the small print on the back it's actually over 14%. No wonder we've all been dumping on it!

I had a similar experience in hospital when I bought a bottle of banana milk which also said less than 5g sugar on the front label and suitable for vegetarians (I was lactose intolerant at the time) I had a mild dumping session just as the surgeon was coming round to discharge me!! :sign0007:

When he checked the bottle it was something like 12% sugar and contained lactose!! :mad:

salski

For the first 12 months I never dumped no matter what I ate and how much I ate of it...now is nearly every meal no matter what I eat! Even fruit and toast haha! I thought I was lucky/unlucky but now I cant eat anything without it making me feel rubbish, sweating, heart racing, tiredness etc x

lotsabeefy

I seem to be a carb dumper, if i have too many it was happening all the time but has slowed down alot now.
Not tried sugar stuff just in case