• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

WLS and the over 50s

RoseA

Just wondering how many of us here are over 50 ? And whether we experience WLS any differently ? After a lifetime of obesity and everything that brings, how much harder is it for us to adjust afterwards ? For the ladies, does having gone through the menopause make any difference ?

Rose
(aged 51 ;))

Me Is !!! my weight comes off extremely slowly, having said that my skin has gone back to normal:eek: so Ime a very happy bunny. Gail x

I will follow this thread with great interest, as am due to have op in July, and am worried that being 53 will affect my recovery time etc.
Would be good to hear from people post and pre op xxxxxx

I consider myself in the same ballpark as you all - I'm 47. I'm finding the weight is coming off slower than a lot of the younger posters here, but a loss is a loss and I'll take it happily :)

Theskin issue is already problematic. I've lost around 6 stones - mostly before surgery, so it has been slowly. The skin isn't really going back, although my abdomen is better than my arms. I will never manage sleeveless without surgery.

Well I am certainly 50+ and my weight loss has been slow, however, I was told by my team it is because I didn't have as much to lose as others. Dont know if that's true, but I am just happy to be losing. I haven't lost enough to affect my skin yet, but I am covered in stretch marks.

My recovery was fine, no probs and it didn't seem any slower or more problematic than the "young ones". From my own experience I dont think my age has made much impact upon my journey.

Just think by the time I am 60, which is a fair way off, but when it happens, I shall be slim, fit, healthy and able to make full use of my bus pass!

Trust me Ive never felt so good, Ive gone back to my youth stage:D take a look at my photos the proof is in the pudding:p I dont know about feeling older I feel and to me myself look so much younger. Bring it on our lil 50+ clan out there Lol. Gail x P.S Gaelic Girl your looking fab QUOTE=smilergem;2183713]I will follow this thread with great interest, as am due to have op in July, and am worried that being 53 will affect my recovery time etc.
Would be good to hear from people post and pre op xxxxxx[/QUOTE]

Well I beat all you ladies as I am 62, I am having a Bypass on the 24th May. I am not one of the biggest, being 17st 9lbs and 5' 3" but feel I am putting on a stone a year and will be 25 stone by the time I am 70.

I will be honest with my journey, but quite frankly I dont care about loose skin, stretch marks, I just want to see my feet again and if I have to lift the skin up to do it, so what, as I havnt seen them for about 15 years.

I will say I am quite fit for my age, ie muscle fit, not aerobic fit as I have horses and muck out everyday and our muck heap is enormous to push the wheelbarrow up....... anyone want manure for their garden.:rolleyes:

I do think that what ever diet you go on it is always more difficult for us to lose weight than the youngsters as it is a known fact that we need less calories as we get older.

Trust me Ive never felt so good, Ive gone back to my youth stage:D take a look at my photos the proof is in the pudding:p I dont know about feeling older I feel and to me myself look so much younger. Bring it on our lil 50+ clan out there Lol. Gail x P.S Gaelic Girl your looking fab QUOTE=smilergem;2183713]I will follow this thread with great interest, as am due to have op in July, and am worried that being 53 will affect my recovery time etc.
Would be good to hear from people post and pre op xxxxxx
[/QUOTE]

Gail whenever I see a pic of you, you always have am amazing smile. You are such a great example of how to use this op to make the most of life. Such an inspiration.

Awwwwwwwww thank you!! I actualy feel so much sexier than ever before Too! and I just Luvvvvvvvv buying underware now;) its a bliss. Nothing out of ann sommers but just nice frillys ect ect:D Gailx P.s ime a prude lol

Gail whenever I see a pic of you, you always have am amazing smile. You are such a great example of how to use this op to make the most of life. Such an inspiration.[/QUOTE]

Just to give the male perspective, I was 60 when I had my bypass, so I was able to use my Freedom Pass to get to the hospital...:D

I have a reasonably active job in that I am often out and about, sometimes I travel by car but mostly walking and public transport around London. I believe that fact meant that my recovery was that bit easier.

I'm only 6 months post-op so it's difficult to know how my excess skin is going to pan out, but I'm not too worried about it. I suspect my Moobs may need some attention but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Gosh didn't realise there were so many of us in our 'summer years' its good to see everyone. I was 55 when I had the op but have had no problems at all. Having already lost over 8 stone prior to the op and 9 stones since there is a good amount of loose skin which I'm just starting to deal with now. Other health problems don't see me running round like a spring chicken but boy do I feel good. I manage to do everything I want to and not sweat like a porker after 2 steps and I fit into theatre seats so can enjoy my hobby its all good. Just anxious to ensure it stays that way. Losses were slower than most but that could have been age or the amount lost prior to the op. Don't think I'm going to loose much more but I'm happy as long as I stay where I am its regaining that worries me now.

Good luck

M

hi, I'm 55 and i feel great, the best I've felt for the last 30 years. I'm not worried about the skin issue even though I've lost the elasticity in it, as I'm not ever going to walk along a beach in a bikini.
i might have a face-lift in a couple of years though.

It's nice to see there are quite a few of us 'vintage losers'. I'm fifty and have spent the last thirty years gaining and losing hundreds of pounds. I once lost eleven stones in ten months.... basically not eating at all and just living on coffee and cigarettes. Surprise, surpise - the following year I had an ulcer and gained back most of the weight. But I did give up smoking!

I'm now ten weeks post op and sometimes think I'm not doing particularly well on the weight loss side. I haven't lost anything this week, but I've got a kidney infection and I'm only peeing about twice a day (sorry about that!).

Generally speaking I'm doing ok though. I'm no longer using a walking stick to get around (except very occasionally when I over do it) and I have more energy most of the time. I'm trying to do at least an hour a day on my treadmill (not been quite up to that the last couple of days) and look forward to increasing my exercise in the near future.

It goes to show, that it doesn't matter what age you are, WLS can still work - providing you work with it. xx

I'm 52 was 50 when I had my op.

Don't know about losing more slowly - I've lost 13 stone in total since first pre-op diet.

Think I have nasty skin anyway - I have some impressive keloid scarring especially for my new knees and a back op in the 80's - so the saggy skin esp bingo wings is not good :(

I think when I look at my progress photos that I look old now and scraggy - but on balance old and scraggy is better than round faced and dead!!

If it had been available I would have had it younger cos the weight gain was horrendous

Am a happier healthier person - still blighted with pain - especially the new knees :( - but wouldn't change a bloomin' thing

Angela

Well, well - we've quite a club going here ! It's nice to be able to relate to others at the same stage of life, as we do have different issues... we're not looking to get pregnant for starters ! (well OK, I am assuming that one...:D:eek::D)

Skin elasticity isn't as good after the menopause and we don't heal so well as we get older. On the other hand I've found that my confidence and self esteem has improved as I've got older and I am now better able to cope with things. So it'll be good to share solutions as well as problems...

Rose

So glad you posted this thread, good to share experiences etc. I so love this site, it is like my second family, and know I will get the support I need both before and after my op xxxx

Back