• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

wondering

Neeta

Just wondering, how will your body know when it has lost enough weight or that you are at your target.

When I spoke with the dietician she asked me if I had thought about what weight I wanted to be and I said that I would be happy at 11 stone. Taking in to acount my height, she said that my BMI would be below what is recomended. I was just wondering how will your body know when to stop?

Thanks everyone. :eek:

How tall are you Neeta?
I think as time goes by we can eat and absorb more and have to work much harder to lose weight. For a very small minority though the absorption becomes a an issue and they continue to lose weight ( chronic maladsorption) and they have to work very hard to eat enough to maintain their weight.

One of life's mysteries :D no one else in my family is over weight so I assume most peoples body mechanism has a default level which controls their BMI. but for some people this programme is faulty .... (that & a lack of willpower along with an overwhelming urge to cram as much food as possible into our pieholes ... :silly:lol)
Seriously though I have no answer for you but I am sure someone will be along soon who will give you a sensible reply.:giggle:

Hello everyone, I am wondering how to choose my type of surgery, I'm set to have band, but really want the gb, but scared about the amount of weight loss...I have the choice of the two...If any post-op can tell me what would be best and their experience...Thanks..Awh my weight is 270&my height is 5"6"

Hello everyone, I am wondering how to choose my type of surgery, I'm set to have band, but really want the gb, but scared about the amount of weight loss...I have the choice of the two...If any post-op can tell me what would be best and their experience...Thanks..Awh my weight is 270&my height is 5"6"
i was going to go the band route and was adament i was not going to have the bypass as like you i was scared i would lose to much and the bypass is major surgery, but i did change to the bypass as i talked to my surgeon at length and also did loads of research , he recommended the bypass as in his opinion it worked better long term, but that is his opinion and my decision and you must follow your own path ; i dont think i personally am going to lose to much as mine is slowing slightly, so i do need to put a bit more physical effort in to keep me losing steady as i want to be 11 stone, so have approx 3 stone to go ,,good luck xxxx

Last edited:
High I was 267lbs and had the bypass am now 197.5lbs 8 wks post op. I lost weight with weight watchers before the op and was 224lbs as I started the pre-op diet. I chose the bypass as I would hopefully not be able to cheat with the usual sugary & fatty snacks that lead to the failure of every diet in the past. (For me the band left that to open to abuse by me). So far I haven't although in the small amounts of food I'm eating I can have some of those naughty things but know that these aren't to be kept up.
I'm 5'5" and my ideal weight should be between 8.5st & 10.5st so I have between another 3.5 & 5.5st to go I see the dietitian for my 1st post op check on Thursday & plan to discuss which point I should aim for with the proviso I don't look too thin or ill at that weight ready to discuss maintaining that weight nearer the time I get close to it.
I love the fact that at the moment I don't feel hungry it allows me to focus on doing the things I need to get to my ideal weight dealing with the demons that helped me get where I was. Learning to eat properly without needing the crutches of sweet fatty foods.
I researched the pro's & con's of both ops chose the one I felt was best for me with the support of my consultant. I have 5 tiny scars on my abdomen that were sealed with surgical superglue my hidden tool & I are getting used to each other learning how to treat each other for the best for us both. For me so far the best decision I have made in my life. Good luck with your decision. I hope this helps you make your personal choice.

This will be the third time I've posted this this week lol ;)

For most people your body levels off after 18 months - 2 years, hopefully at the weight you want to be. For some it happens sooner and/or they don't reach their goal and have to use conventional diets and exercise on top of the bypass to reach it. For others like me it's the other side of the coin where the malabsorption is so severe that I have to constantly work at not losing more weight by eating high cal high fat foods, grazing and drinking with meals etc to maintain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Shellbell
That most be so hard to get your head around. After years if being told you set too much now turning to you need to eat more. When I first read this I thought god I hope iam like that but a couple of mins to think about it and my heart hoes out to you it must be equally as difficult as the beginning of your journey x

It's taken me 18months to get it cracked but my weight has been stable for a few months now. Most days eating lots isn't a problem, I didn't get to 21 stone without a love of junk, but there are some days when I crave salad or veggies. Plus when I get ill or go into hospital the weight flies off. That said, I would rather be this way than face a constant battle to not gain, or remain at 21 stone. It's just something that most pre-op patients don't know about, so I don't mind being here to show it can, and does, happen.

Penny I think your goal weight will be too small and perhaps unrealistic.I am an inch shorter than you and weighed exactly the same as you at the start.I have lost 80lb and feel great at 13st and think another 3-4 stone off would make me look too thin and scrawny.Ideally I would like to get into size 14 comfortably then stop.The consultant said to expect to lose 70% of your excess weight.Maz x

Thanks B&B I had considered that myself I will see what the dietitian says & what my body does. I'm already in size 14 at 13st 11lbs and can get into a size 12 in somethings are a bit snug at the moment. I'll see how it goes early days yet time wise so we will see.

Interesting thread, and one I will follow closely I haven't really seriously given might thought to what weight I want to be. I have written that I want to get to 11 stone but I guess I'll be happy with whatever just as long as I don't stay where I am right now.

Me too Kath. when I first realised I was actually going to get this, I thought I'd be happy at a size 16. Now though I want to be in a 12. I don't want to lose some weight, I want to lose lots of weight. I am 5'9" so I would be about 12 st to get there. OOh, excited!

Just wish mine would shift full stop!!! I haven't lost a bean this last week and only two weeks post op. I am so downhearted. Lost 23 pounds since start of pre op diet.

Telephoned the dietician today to see if she can help me as I am suffering with bad constipation too. :cry:

Last edited:
Movicol is brilliant for constipation, avoid over the counter senna based laxatives so early post op. It's normal to have slow losses both while constipated and while progressing to normal foods, you are probably eating so little that your body is panicking and holding on to everything.

Movicol is brilliant for constipation, avoid over the counter senna based laxatives so early post op. It's normal to have slow losses both while constipated and while progressing to normal foods, you are probably eating so little that your body is panicking and holding on to everything.

Thanks Shel, that was what I was thinking that body had thought it was being starved and so shut down a bit. Nice to hear it from someone else though. XX

Neeta see my new thread...you need to come and meet me for a coffee!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back