• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Your PCT and its position on tummy tucks

Norfolk - Norwich the pct said yes to tt due to weightloss and multiple pregnancies and I had one done on the 13th October 2008

julesrush

In Birmingham it is the surgeon's decision, and the PCT are only involved if you do not meet the required criteria.

Anyone know about the Berkshire / Reading / Oxford PCT areas?

I live in Cornwall and firstly have been referred to Taunton for my bypass as Cornwall don't do surgery down here. I went for my consultation on Saturday gone and they made me sign a disclaimer to say I understand they will not fund excess skin removal or the like after my WLS!!!!

Anyone in the Preston Lancs area had funding for the TT, as i'm bound to need one if I lose all my weight?:eek::eek:

I live in Cornwall and firstly have been referred to Taunton for my bypass as Cornwall don't do surgery down here. I went for my consultation on Saturday gone and they made me sign a disclaimer to say I understand they will not fund excess skin removal or the like after my WLS!!!!

Wow thats the first time I have heard that!...I think thats terrible because people would sign anything to get the surgery and then there is no come back...disgraceful if you ask me....they should wait and assess the person before refusing....xx

I think thats terrible because people would sign anything to get the surgery and then there is no come back...disgraceful if you ask me
I agree CG!!
I live in evesham worcestershite and they do not fund tt, my GP told me when i first went to see her about it.
Xxx Lizzie xxX

Wirral -

Will fund if:

BMI of less than 26 (taking into account the weight of the skin to be removed)
BMI of less than 26 maintained for 2 years
Divarication of Recti
Apron hangs below symphus pubis.

Wandsworth PCT

Tummy tuck’ (apronectomy or abdominoplasty)

Wandsworth PCT will fund this procedure if agreed by the Exceptional Circumstances Panel.

The Panel will consider whether or not the patient fulfills these criteria:
• scarring following trauma or previous abdominal surgery
• patients undergoing treatment for morbid obesity who have excessive skin folds
• previously obese patients who have lost a large amount of weight and maintained the loss for at least two years
• as part of abdominal hernia correction or other abdominal wall surgery
• stable BMI between 18 and 27 kg m-2 AND
• severe functional problems which may include:
• recurrent intertrigo beneath the skin fold
• severe difficulties with daily living
• post-trauma or surgical scarring leading to poor appearance and resulting in disabling psychological distress or risk of infection
• poorly-fitting stoma bags.

http://www.wandsworth-pct.nhs.uk/pdf/GPReferral/ECI/WPCT%20ECI%20aesthetic%20final%20ver.pdf

Hope this helps anyone looking for this info.

Mandy x

Last edited:
Suffolk PCT

latest information was valid till december 2008:

ABDOMINOPLASTY

i. Weight loss not related to pregnancy of at least 10 points on BMI scale has led to redundant skin, OR
ii. Major psychiatric problems due to poor body image
When treatment is sought under this criterion the patient should have developed a recognized psychiatric condition (for example an anxiety state or clinical depression) that requires treatment, is clearly related to the relevant physical problem and has not been effectively addressed by adequate psychiatric or psychological intervention.

http://www.suffolkpct.nhs.uk/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=OK3R9LdoOEo%3D&tabid=324&mid=900

Mandy x

Last edited:
Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire PCTs

Criteria to Access Treatment

Requests for Abdominoplasty and removal of loose skin will be considered for:
·Patients who received morbid obesity surgery and other previously obese patients who have achieved significant weight loss of the order of 20 BMI points
AND
·Have maintained their weight loss for at least 2 years.
AND
·The patient suffers from severe recurrent intertrigo beneath the skin fold not responding to other measures.
OR
·The patient is experiencing severe difficulties with daily living i.e. ambulatory restrictions
OR
·Where previous post trauma or surgical scarring (usually midline vertical or multiple) leads to very poor appearance which has been assessed by a psychiatrist or psychologist as both the primary cause of disabling psychological distress (i.e. to a level requiring ongoing medical or psychiatric management and impacting on ability to undertake everyday tasks, work etc) and likely to be resolved by corrective surgery
OR
·Problems associated with poorly fitting stoma bags
Valid as of November 2008

www.bristolpct.nhs.uk/Policiesandguidelines/policies/Abdominoplasty%20and%20loose%20skin%20removal.doc

Mandy x

North Somerset PCT

Requests for abdominoplasty will be considered if:

A) Patients undergoing morbid obesity surgery and other previously obese patients have
achieved significant weight loss of the order of 20 BMI points and have maintained
their weight loss for at least two years. The scale of the weight loss and the period
for which it has been sustained must be verified in the patient’s GP records.
B) Where it is required as part of abdominal hernia correction or other abdominal wall
surgery
C) Those with scarring following trauma or previous abdominal surgery.
Category A must be considered with at least one of the following criteria:
i) Severe recurrent intertrigo beneath the skin fold not responding to other
measures.
ii) Experiencing severe difficulties with daily living i.e. ambulatory restrictions
iii) Where previous post trauma or surgical scarring (Usually midline vertical, or
multiple) leads to very poor appearance and results in disabling psychological
distress or risk of infection.
Problems associated with poorly fitting stoma bags.
This guidance is intended to supplement general guidance used by Exceptional Funding
Panels e.g. the requirement for all other appropriate treatments to have failed, and for
clear evidence that the intervention requested will have a substantial and lasting impact
on the problem presented with other evidence of exceptional need.

http://www.northsomerset.nhs.uk/Publications/Policies_and_guidelines/Commissioning/Individual_Commissioning_Policy/Abdominoplasty%20Policy.pdf

Mandy x

North Lancashire PCT

Information valid till November 2009

The PCT may, subject to prior authorisation of the Commissioning Panel who will consider the circumstances of the individual patient, commission abdominoplasty for removal of redundant skin, when the problem is seriously disfiguring, and has resulted from a substantial and sustained weight loss. “Substantial weight loss” may be interpreted as a reduction from the category of obese (body mass index in excess of 30) to the normal range (less than 25). “Sustained weight loss” may be interpreted as weight loss maintained for more than two years.

The PCT may, subject to prior authorisation of the Commissioning Panel who will consider the circumstances of the individual patient, commission abdominoplasty for removal of redundant skin, when the problem is seriously disfiguring, and has resulted from previous childbirth. Such cases are unlikely to be authorised until at least three years have elapsed since the birth of the last child.

Mandy x

Bristol PCT

Requests for abdominoplasty will be considered if:

A.) Patients undergoing morbid obesity surgery and other previously obese
patients have achieved significant weight loss of the order of 20 BMI points
and have maintained their weight loss for at least two years. The scale of
the weight loss and the period for which it has been sustained must be
verified in the patient’s GP records.
B.) Where it is required as part of abdominal hernia correction or other abdominal
wall surgery
C.) Those with scarring following trauma or previous abdominal surgery.
Category A must be considered with at least one of the following criteria:
i.) Sever recurrent intertrigo beneath the skin fold not
responding to other measures.
ii.) Experiencing severe difficulties with daily living i.e.
ambulatory restrictions
iii.) Where previous post trauma or surgical scarring (Usually
midline vertical, or multiple) leads to very poor
appearance and results in disabling psychological
distress or risk of infection.
iv.) Problems associated with poorly fitting stoma bags.

http://www.westonsurgerybath.nhs.uk/ExceptionalFunding/Policies/Abdominoplasty policy.pdf

Mandy x

Suffolk PCT

latest information was valid till december 2008:

ABDOMINOPLASTY

i. Weight loss not related to pregnancy of at least 10 points on BMI scale has led to redundant skin, OR
ii. Major psychiatric problems due to poor body image
When treatment is sought under this criterion the patient should have developed a recognized psychiatric condition (for example an anxiety state or clinical depression) that requires treatment, is clearly related to the relevant physical problem and has not been effectively addressed by adequate psychiatric or psychological intervention.

http://www.suffolkpct.nhs.uk/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=OK3R9LdoOEo=&tabid=324&mid=900

Mandy x

hi there was wondering weather me haveing just been told i have depression would this mean i am or am not going to get my tt as i can't figer this out what they r saying i would be very helpful if u will be able to tell me what it all mean's as the suffolk pct are looking at my case at the pressent min . thank's if would help me alot .

michelle

In Birmingham it is the surgeon's decision, and the PCT are only involved if you do not meet the required criteria.

Do you know what the criteria is and if its the same for all the brum PCT's.
Thanks.

anyone got any ideas what the criteria are for South Wales? I live in Newport and was wondering if anyone has had any experience of a TT in the area

Back