• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

yoghurt after surgery

elizaxx

Hi there,

I'm starting to prepare for my post op diet, and looking at yoghurt. Does everyone stick to the 0% fat yoghurt?, I really don't like the funny tanginess of it, is 2% fat Greek yoghurt OK or a big no no?

All stories are different ..
My care team told me not to eat any diet food whatsoever again ..
She said if it's labelled low fat or diet , the good fats are removed and replaced with sugar to make it taste better ..
The fats in Greek yogurt are good fats , but it's more importantly high in protein which will keep you satisfied longer .. So use full fat ..
This is only my view ..

Thank you, that's interesting to know :) I'm not usually a big yoghurt eater, so I'm unlikely to go overboard with it, just hate the taste of low fat yoghurt

I've tried the high protein yougurts they are nice....but I found them a bit " gritty" so went back to Greek yougurt plain or with honey and add fruit or alpen to it for a bit of crunch to it but will also admit to just picking up the one that I can afford as I'm only going to have one a day so if ski or any other brand is on special offer I might consider buying it

When I moved on to the purée stage weeks 3-6 I was advised the weight watchers yoghurts as they are very runny. They were good actually. I then moved on to danio..11g of protein and 150cal a pot. I lived off these for quite a while as they were a good size.
In recent weeks I gave gone on to Arla 20g protein yoghurt, 20g of protein and 140cal. They are very thick, too much for a new sleeve for sure, in fact they are quark with is a soft cheese but they are sold as yoghurts. These are very good. Pick what tastes best for you, fage makes me want to vomit..I need sweet anything sour is a big no! So find the best balance you can..you still have to enjoy what you eat to stick to it. Good luck with your op and take it very slowly for best results.

I am trying different yoghurts at the moment in preparation for pr-op. Currently have Yeo Valley 0% fat. It does say 8.5 g sugar per 100g but that they are naturally occurring milk sugars. Protein is 5.9g per 100g. Calories 59 peer 100g.

The pluses I have found is that it doesn't have that sour taste of natural yoghurt and it is very runny. It also states it is Proper Organic Bio Live Yoghurt.

Is this too low in protein?

I can't say I have liked the Arla Protein yoghurts, but Arla have also brought out a new skimmed milk called Best of Both - skimmed milk that tastes like semi-skimmed, and with extra protein.

Kar
I don't understand how to tell what is what on the sides of cartons ?
How do you tell what the amount of protein is . I am a complete novice to this , so an idiot guide would be good for me :)
Mindy
Xxxx

I am trying different yoghurts at the moment in preparation for pr-op. Currently have Yeo Valley 0% fat. It does say 8.5 g sugar per 100g but that they are naturally occurring milk sugars. Protein is 5.9g per 100g. Calories 59 peer 100g.

The pluses I have found is that it doesn't have that sour taste of natural yoghurt and it is very runny. It also states it is Proper Organic Bio Live Yoghurt.

Is this too low in protein?

I can't say I have liked the Arla Protein yoghurts, but Arla have also brought out a new skimmed milk called Best of Both - skimmed milk that tastes like semi-skimmed, and with extra protein.

Hi Sam
I can only go by what my care team have told me . Check with yours .
But you should not be eating anything fat free or labelled healthy eating , or labelled diet food as this food is very high in sugars to replace taste . So you get a boost from those added sugars after eating , but then you will get a drop and the cravings for sugar will begin the cycle again .
The fats in yogurt are healthy fats that provide good nutrients and help to stop cravings by providing you with good protein to keep you fuller longer .. So your better having say 3/4 of a portion of full fat yogurt rather than a whole portion of fat free .. But the full fat will satisfy you longer ..
As I said this is the advice I was given , so check with your own team ..
Mindy
Xxx

The nutritional value is usually per portion or per 100g. It will say calories, fat carbs and protein. Personally I won't eat anything with over 200 calories in per meal or portion or with less than 10g of protein in for that portion. I don't worry about fats as there isn't much fat in anything with 200cals.
Great early days meals are fish in parsley sauce, very soft, and scrambled egg. Even now I can only eat one whole boiled egg and I'm stuffed!
I read values in everything I eat..even if I have a treat I count the calories and protein value! Somethings we never get over from the fat days!

Cheers for that Kar ! Will check all labels from now on .. So look for higher protein levels per 100grams or mls .
Mindy
Xxx

This week i have tried the new Arla milk drink..160 calories and 20g of protein...strawberry and raspberry flavour, they are ok to be fair so worth a try.
I have just picked up some weetabix protein drinks, 21g of protein in 275ml bottle, 212 calories...so again will give them a try, a bottle of these drinks is a meal for me and will usually take me about 20-25 minutes to drink depending on how thick it is.

Thanks Kar for the advice on high protein options, am always looking for ideas as I am a low carber - have been looking for ideas for the liquid and puree stages.

Hi all had my op on May 5th and what ive found is that greek yogurt mixed with innocent pure fruit puree tubes from Tesco is amazing x add a little milk if you can't manage it very thick x I can't Beleive how great I feel , almost like a clean feeling !! Also the U-fitn protein shakes in tesco are a pound each and 25 g of protein and low sugars x

I cannot wait to eat tuna and egg mayo with cucumber hahaaaa x

Back