• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Yummy High Protein shakes

hi all

so i have tried slim fast which isnt too high in protein but scrumm
sculptress one in holland and barret....yuck! plus made me itchy!
weight to go choc.... nicest high protein one. made it with skimmed milk.

slim fast is yummiest but weight to go is 125kcal with water so about 150kcal with skimmed milk. not bad as is filling and good for u.

what protein shakes do u recommend

Its strange u know( or I am strange, lol), as I don't like choc etc and yet I love the rich chocolate slimfast :confused: gawd knows why.

When I dont feel like eating a food brekkie or cant manage it I have one of these and too this day ( being 10 months out) I still have the rich choc slimfast yet I still dont like chocolate........LoL
:D;)

Obviously with a band we still have hunger to contend with x

Can I ask, do you still feel the conventional pre - op hunger - is this in any way related to 'a fill'? If you eat to capacity post op does this do the trick. With bypass, there is little hunger or in my case desire to eat but a small rice pudding can be very filling and takes away any prangs for some hours. xx

Unfortunately I think most of us do get the same hunger signals wether head hunger or genuine physical hunger because nothing has been rerouted.
What happens is the band slows the passage of food down through the pouch and stoma, so the more fill you have in, the tighter the opening and therefore the slower the pouch empties and the slower you can eat as well.
When we have good restriction, if we eat foods that are dense (eg the proteins, veggies and wholemeal carbs etc) that tend to filter down slower, then we feel full on a small amount.
Obviously we don't have any bad side effects physically if we eat high sugar/fat foods so we have to find ways to make the band work with our own particular weaknesses or find healthy substitutes..or just get used to those foods being a once in a while thing rather than a daily thing.
Everyone has different experiences with fills, some need only a little bit and some need to have a lot more volume before we feel the effects.
In the meantime , after the swelling of the op has gone down and the recovery liqiuids and slushies are over with, it can feel like nothing has been altered at all and a lot of banders are shocked at how much they can eat. However, usually even without any fill, the band can have a beneficial restrictive effect anyway...even if it's just making us mindful that it's in there and we eat slowly and more carefully.

We do still have to eat our protein & veg first because at restriction, we can't eat very much and it has to be good nuitritious stuff because we fill up faster and stay full for longer.

I've been using the H&B Whey Protein Powder for shakes too (although I'm pre-op just now ) from time to time as they drop your weight quite quickly. My problem is that I'm really really hungry about 1.5hrs after and I'm really hoping getting a band will help with that. I usually put a tsp coffee into a choc flavour shake which makes it much less sickly and I also make it with alprosoya lite to make it much less carby. I'll defo be trying all of everyone elses suggestions for flavourings here when I'm banded...hopefully July time :)

I would say any diet method is a whole lot easier with a band as you do get fuller on smaller amounts for longer periods!
It's a pain that the band isn't automatic BUT it is good to know that if you have a diet plan you enjoy and that suits you, it is so much easier to stick to and get results with the band in the background giving you assistance x

I'm quite happy to diet in my own way a) if I'm not always so darned hungry and b) what weight I lose stays off!
Its the old story of "I've lost 4 stone this year but its the same stone 4times"!!

Btw, where do you buy the psyllium husks? I usually buy Fybogel orange or lemon but they aren't cheap. And are they ok with a band? ie do they go through ok?

So far so good for me! I think you can get them from H&B
, ebay, amazon and health food stores online and in the high street.
Psyllium Husks | Colon Care, Fibre Force | Holland & Barrett
I take it loose to mix into water as I don't like taking capsules. My band is quite tight and it felt like I got a painkiller stuck the other day (was just feeling a bit over tight before I took it also) and it made me feel really yuck..so I would rather not take capsules now.

Im with Julie on this one, slim fast in the mornings if I cant 'eat'.

I have tried the myprotein whey products but they made me feel sick, all day and were IMHO yuck.

I havent tried any others, its alot of money to shell out if they are horrid or make you vom :sign0137:

We will all have to come round to yours for a protein party Neen - what do you say? x x

I definately would add cocoa powder to any choc ones you get though as it makes a huge difference to the flavour!

I think what I spend on the powders I am not spending on general trash from the supermarket (eg crisps, standard choccies and biscuits etc) and they definately fill me up and kill off my cravings. For me that is a bargain!
Also as I said , it's helping me to get it into my head that sweet things are not for all the time...my goodies tax etc!

If it works I don't mind the price for a while as I am getting desparate and I have to make this flipping band work for me any way I can. I don't really have any other option...other than a lobotomy

Back