• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sunderland patients - where are you in the WLS process?

Referred by GP: Feb 2010
Seminar: March 17th 2010
Dietician: July 2010
Appointment with Mr. Small: 13th Oct 2010...Cancelled.....11th Nov 2010 .....Cancelled...9th Feb 2011....Changed to 7th Feb 2011....CANCELLED!!!!!
STILL AWAITING NEW APPOINTMENT!! :cry::cry:

Mine was something like

referral may 08
semanair june 08
saw Mr B etc August 08
Mr small dec 08
camera down late Jan 09
op May 09

It was all done and dusted in a year plus a couple of weeks. I guess I got lucky as not as many wanted it then.

Good luck to you all in the system I hope you dont have too long to wait

Jo
xx

Hi this is mine so far:

1) Date referred July 2009 by GP in Thornaby, Stockton-on-Tees.
2) Seminar - 30th September 2009.
3) Appointment with bariatric nurse/dietician - February 2010 - Given target weightloss of 11lb.
4) Date with Surgeon (saw Mr Shroeder) - 29th September 2010 (Only lost 6lb but he gave me a 2nd chance as I had an appt for an endoscopy on 9th November so he said he would weigh me again then and if I had lost enough he would put me on the list.
5) Date of 1st endoscopy - 9th November 2010 - lost 20lb.
6) Date put on waiting list - 9th November 2010
Had to have a 2nd endoscopy on 21st December 2010 becuase they found ulcers, got the all clear.
7) Still waiting for a date for surgery.

I'll get the ball rolling with my journey so far:

Thanks Karen xxx

Heres mine

Denise

Hi All,

Referred 2009
Seminar 2010
Dietician 2010
Surgeon January 2011 - cancelled by SRH
Surgeon March 2011 - received cancellation
Awaiting for appointment for endoscopy
Op hopefully Oct/Nov

Similar to a thread posted by Linksi to all Walslall Manor patients, I thought it would be good to have a thread which updates where in the WLS process all Sunderland patients are. I think it will be useful for everyone x

Would all SRH patients no matter where in the process you are - newbie, pre-op or post-op please post your appointment timescales as follow:

1) Date referred by GP and what area you come from.
February 2009 Harrogate, North Yorkshire

2) Date of seminar
I didn't attend a seminar until April 2010, long after I'd been put on the waiting list. Apparently that's how it's done with people who live a long way away.

3) Date of appointment with bariatric nurse/dietician.
didn't have one because of being a long distance patient.

4) Dates of any follow up tests - sleep apnea, psych etc.
sleep apnoea test done September 2009 in York - referred by GP on instructions of SRH!
saw Psychologist December 2009 after seeing surgeon for first time in April 2009 and second time in September 2009

5) Date of appointment with surgeon.
Ist appointment at SR was with surgeon/dietician in April 2009 - didn't attend seminar or see nurse/dietician because of being a long-distance patient. This was when my weight loss target was set. I was told I'd be put on the waiting list at my next appointment if I met the weight-loss target.
6) Date put on waiting list
Finally made it onto the waiting list February 2010!

7) Date of surgery.
August 10th 2010.

8) Any hiccups along the way.
Apparently my journey wasn't typical because of being a 'long-distance' patient.
After meeting my weight-loss target in September 2010, I wasn't put on the waiting list as promised because they decided they wanted me to see a psychologist. I was quite cross and felt that was rather unfair.
That didn't happen until December 2010 (after much nagging and phone-calls) and after 2 appointments it took a further 8 weeks to be put on the waiting list (after even more nagging and phone calls!) even though I was told in December that the psychologist was backing me for surgery! However at least whilst waiting to see the psychologist, my endoscopy was done.

My initial surgery in August 2010 was not straightforward.

8 weeks after surgery (October 2010) I was re-admitted as an emergency because of a perforated bowel and had to have a second major surgery. I was very poorly for quite some time.

In February 2011 I was re-admitted again because of more problems with major pain. Lots of tests were done which revealed nothing specific, and the most likely possibility is that 2 lots of surgery have left me with adhesions. The problems are now settling and I'm beginning to feel very well.

I'm now 34 weeks (almost 8 months) post-op, and have lost a total of 6 stones 6 pounds so far, including my pre-op diet.
My weight loss has been steady throughout and I haven't yet experienced a 'stall'. :D

Despite all my set-backs, I feel great and love my bypass and the new lease of life it's given me.
It was well worth the wait and in retrospect, the waiting time was very useful in terms of getting my head into the right place for surgery. I'd have to say especially the last 4 weeks pre-op; when I was on this forum pretty constantly, and learnt so much and made some great friends who have been an absolutely fantastic support to me.

Grace xxx

Last edited:
Hi i had a band fitted in 2006 i had no restriction backwards and forwards to SRH last year they put the camera down and found my band sat in side my tummy, so had that removed in May and had to wait for my tummy to heal.was told in Nov 10 that was back on the list for a bypass and my date is 15-4-11 and i can't wait.

My Timescale

Hi everyone
My times are as follows:
Gp referal April 09
Seminar Sept 30th 09
1st appointment feb 10 (hit weight loss target)
Seen surgeon 02.11.10 put on list
Gastop march 11 (they lost my appointment)
supposed to be put on may list Still waiting for date.
Good luck to you all that are still waiting.:)

Hi Everyone

I am just at the start.

GP referral - 2nd April 2011
Seminar - 8th June 2011

OK, I'm rubbish with dates but have just been through my diaries and dug out the dates below (the ones I have anyway )! :

1) Date referred by GP and what area you come from - unsure. Hartlepool.
2) Date of seminar 14/4/10
3) Date of appointment with bariatric nurse/dietician - unknown
4) Date of appointment with surgeon 29/12/10
5) Dates of any follow up tests - sleep apnea, psych etc - gastroscopy 24/3/11
6) Date put on waiting list
7) Date of surgery. 15/5/11 (hopefully)
8) Any hiccups along the way. Not yet !

Almost a year to the day for me ...

Referred by GP January 2010
Seminar March 2010
Nurse/Dietician June 2010
Endoscopy September 2010 (put straight on waiting list as I had lost three stone)
Saw Surgeon December 2010
Bypass Operation 24th December 2010

Im totally confused with Sunderland hopital about this waiting list carry on cant believe the way they treat ppl was told 10 days ago that i was down for operation day end of May( been on list from November 19th 2010 after endoscopy) so still not heard anything rang today spoke to mr smalls sec where she told me she couldn't tell me anything other than it wasnt going to be in next 10 days due to diet ( need to be on it for 10days) i said i thought you gave 4 weeks notice then she started going on about extra lists totally lost me said i had to wait until i appeared on this list then i might get letter with only 10 days notice i think like i say tho might be me getting lost off a bit do you think its cheeky if i ring again tomorrow and say i didnt understand?

1) Date referred by GP and what area you come from.durham doctors 13th april
2) Date of seminar.30 th june srh
3) Date of appointment with bariatric nurse/dietician.13th oct
4) Dates of any follow up tests - sleep apnea, psych etc.14th feb all clear
5) Date of appointment with surgeon 16th feb with mr bulapari.

date of endoscopy : 5th may
6) Date put on waiting list 7) Date of surgery.not known yet, maybe be told tomoz
8) Any hiccups along the way.

Autumn 2006 - GP referred me to our PCT's weight management service as its not our GP's that do the referral, its the WMS. Finally got a place on the WMS in May 2007.
October 2008 - WMS referred me to SRH
Jan 2009 - Seminar
May 2009 - 1st clinic appintment, saw Doc & Dietician and was given weight loss target. Referred for Gastroscopy as due to family history of cancer there was a big question mark over whether they would let me have the op.
August 2009 - Gastroscopy.
October 2009 - Saw surgeon, MDT had discussed my risks and all agreed we could proceed. put on waiting list for op
Jan 2010 - got a phone call at 6pm one night asking if i wanted the op in ten days time ! Think i must have got a cancellation, but was so dazed i forgot to ask. Pre-op diet was emailed to me as i had to start it immediately - no last meal blow-outs for me !
Jan 2010 - had bypass & gall bladder removed at same time.

No problems with the admin side of things / waiting lists etc

Oops I missed a bit :

OK, I'm rubbish with dates but have just been through my diaries and dug out the dates below (the ones I have anyway )! :

1) Date referred by GP and what area you come from - unsure. Hartlepool.
2) Date of seminar 14/4/10
3) Date of appointment with bariatric nurse/dietician - unknown
4) Date of appointment with surgeon 29/12/10
6) Date put on waiting list - 29/12/10 (hit first target - just !)
5) Dates of any follow up tests - sleep apnea, psych etc - gastroscopy 24/3/11
7) Date of surgery. 15/5/11 (hopefully). Still waiting for answers to pre-op diet questions and may not have done diet properly !!
8) Any hiccups along the way. Not yet !

Almost a year to the day for me ...

Undecided ive sent you a Pm x

Oops I missed a bit :

1) Date referred by GP and what area you come from - sept 2010 after a year of him getting me to have weight loss sessions with nurse and regular check ups with him
2) Date of seminar 01/11
3) Date of appointment with bariatric nurse/dietician - 20th May 2011
4) Date of appointment with surgeon ??????????
6) Date put on waiting list - ?????????
5) Dates of any follow tests: ?????
7) Date of surgery. - can't come soon enough but probably mid 2012 hopefully it will be sooner
8) Any hiccups along the way. Only working with my GP and his hoops that I had to jump through Oh and public transport to get to Sunderland from Darlington!!!

Back