• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2016 - My year. Decision made and on my way.

lou:-)

Hi everyone - My name is Lou and I'm just about to embark on my final weight loss journey - the gastric band. Like many of you i've tried everything over the years - cabbage soup diet, sw, ww, LL, CD, personal trainers, even been hypnotised :D plus many more and always end up back in the same place. BMI of 30.9 age 41 5ft5 13.4

So one of my first steps was where and who I'd have to the op. The surgeons seem to work with most of the companys you'll come across on your search. Check the aftercare package you receive with each company. I live in Cheshire and I decided to go with Mr Super (due to his vast experience and reviews), and had two choices - Manchester Spire or Dolan Park, I decided on Dolan Park as I could not justify paying an extra grand just to have it done in Manchester. (same aftrercare package)
Spoke to Judith from THG and she was brilliant.
So that's where I'm up to at the moment - My op is on the 3rd Feb - I'm so excitied, not sleeping well as my head buzzing with images of the future me (Also nervous but my mind 100% made up) ..

So here I go to a healthier slimmer me, hope to chat to others along the way in the same situation.

Will update along the way - Bye for now xx

Welcome and good luck in the future. Keep in touch

hello and welcome ,i wish you very good luck

Congrats on your decision Lou and the very best of luck with your op. Let us know how it goes for you :)

So I'm sat here in reception of Dolan Park absolutely terrified I've been 100% certain up until this moment but having a wobble. Great timing eh! Passed cadbury's world on way in and thought about stopping off there instead . For those getting the train in it cost me £30 in a taxi from Birmingham new street. Well here goes, will let you know how I get on later xx

Good Luck Lou:)

I'll be at Dolan Park this Sunday to have a GB with James Halstead, so I'm anxious to hear how yours goes!
x

Good luck you'll be fine
when I went with the hospital group they offered free transport from Manchester area? I'm now with Manchester spire so assume we're friom the Same area x

Good luck hun x x

Hope everything has gone well. Here's to losing those inches!

Hi, so I'm now at home recovering. All went ok (ish) at THG Dolan house. You go into to see the nurse first and have your bloods taken then shown to your room where the nurse, anaesthetist, and surgeon will all visit and discuss procedure. The room was fine, however if you are staying over I would bring ear plugs with you as if you do manage to nod off you'll be woken between 3am - 4am by the numerous cockerels outside. It's the last thing you need when you're trying to recuperate :-(
So the op went ok, he found a hernia which he had to repair at the same time, just means my recovery will be a little longer and my first fill will have to be a few weeks later than planned. I came out of theatre with the shakes and pain in my shoulder and neck, this is due to the trapped wind from sugery that they tell you about as it is common. They do have peppermint tea available which did help a little. The night nurse was fantastic and I felt very well looked after. My husband was collecting me at 10am and because I hadn't slept and felt in a lot of pain and had blurred vision from the anesthetic she said I could stay in room until he got there, unfortunately on staff change over the new nurse wanted me out, and asked me to leave feeling unwell and in tears and wanted me to wait in reception - at this point felt very alone and scared I was going to pass out with no one about. This was my only negative.
Today I have received a phone call from a nurse asking if I'm ok and how things are.
Today feeling a bit tight chested, hurts a little when breathing in deep and in pain around the stomach area. Not interested in food and not hungry but managed a yoghurt this morning to try and get my energy levels up. Had a few negative thoughts thinking 'what the hell I have done to myself' but I think this is because I'm still in bit of pain and exhausted.
Will try posting a photo of my scars, a bit of bruising round the port but the others are very small.
xx

Hi, they offered transport but at an additional cost of £220. My husband was due to take but he had to drop kids off at school first so followed me up. How did it go at Spire? I live near Lymm so just on the border of Manchester x

Hi, they offered transport but at an additional cost of £220. My husband was due to take but he had to drop kids off at school first so followed me up. How did it go at Spire? I live near Lymm so just on the border of Manchester x

Spire was great I had my band repositioned there on the national health due to bed shortage last year and have just two weeks ago had it removed and converted to a sleeve there but privately as couldn't get NHS funding for that I'm Warrington way so not far. Transport was free when I had my original band at Dolan park with THG how's your op gone X

It went ok, just struggling more emotionally wise at the mo. I did type a long reply with how it went but I think it has to be mod approved, so may show in a little while. ? Just keep getting thoughts of 'what have I done' I think once the anesthetic has completley gone out of my body and I'm feeling pain free then I'll be back in my positivie way of thinking. x

It went ok, just struggling more emotionally wise at the mo. I did type a long reply with how it went but I think it has to be mod approved, so may show in a little while. ? Just keep getting thoughts of 'what have I done' I think once the anesthetic has completley gone out of my body and I'm feeling pain free then I'll be back in my positivie way of thinking. x

Think that's quite normal I've gone through three ops and started to think eat on earth couldn't I have just done this myself not sure about the mod approval not seen that before x

My first thought when I woke up was what have I done..don't worry it passes!!!!
This journey is a hormonal roller coaster and even now at 18 months I have days when I wish I could go back to being fat and happy!! But then I think Christ no I'm healthy and fit and full of energy now and a size 6!! But mood swings get me now do to lower oestrogen as there's no fat to store it!
Don't worry in 2 weeks you will feel like a different person and in two months all this will be forgotten!! Just rest and take it easy x

Thank you for your messages of support - means a lot.
Not sure what happened to my last message so I'll type again.

Ok, so had op on the 3rd at Dolan THG with Mr Super. On arrival I went straight with nurse to have bloods taken then was shown to room. The nurse, anaesthetist and then Mr Super all came to visit to discuss procedure. The surgery went well apart from him finding a hernia that had to be fixed at same time. Just means my recovery will be longer and my first fill will have to be delayed for a few weeks extra. The nurse was wonderful and came to check on me every couple of hours. I did have side effects from the anesthetic, the shivers and blurred vision. Just a tip if you're staying overnight is to bring ear plugs as just outside your room are very loud cockerels, that start crowing at around 3am and don't stop. It's honestly the last thing you need when you're trying to recuperate. Needless to say I didn't get any sleep. My husband was due to collect me at 10 and the night nurse said I could stay in room as I was still in a lot of pain, blurred vision, feeling dizzy etc however on change over of staff the new nurse wanted me out, even seeing me in tears and pain walked me to reception. Felt very alone and let down at that point, really thought I was going to pass out. Other than that it all went well. Scars are healing ok, bruising round the port but other than that ok. Just feeling uncomfortable now rather than pain - feel it when I take deep breaths and uncomfortable after anything to drink. Had a phone call from Nurse this morning to check all ok, and everything seems to be as it should be. Will try and attach photo of scars if that's ok. xx

Take it easy and each day at a time. X x

Back