• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

3 years postop - first conversation!

elle

My story - Had a gastric band three years ago and over the first 18 months lost 4 stone, this has been maintained but still have 4 stone to go. Have never talked to anyone about what it feels like, why do I bring up large balls of mucus? why is it sometimes I can eat more than others? Is it normal to get stuck for 18 mths? Are there any support groups in Cardiff or nearby? What food should'nt I eat? Is anyone a vegetarian? Please help so much help I need, Im craking up here:cry:

Hiya ellie :wavey:
Welcome to MiniMins! Well done on the weight loss you have achieved so far - 4 stone totally rocks!! :D
I can't offer much advice as i am waiting for a gastric bypass, but iam sure someone will be along soon who will be able to help you. ;)
Sending you loadz of hugz though :hugg: :grouphugg:
Xxx Lizzie xxX

I have just done a google of gastric band and mucus (sub search) and come up with this site. (It's an American site). Apparently one shouldn't lie down after eating as it can lead to a build up of stomach mucus and one of the possible complications of banding is a build up of mucus.

Maybe someone on here may have experience of this. Have you spoken to your GP or surgeon about it?

Hiya and welcome to minimins!:welcome:
I am just 3 weeks post gastric bypass so I don't have many answers to your questions. I do know that weekends during the day tend to be a 'quieter' time on the forum for post-ops.

If you don't mind giving some details, a few bits of info might help get you the support you are looking for.

1) What was your starting weight & BMI? That directly impacts how quick you drop the weight.

2) When & how often do have the mucus? Do you take an antacid daily?

3) Was any aftercare offered with your surgery? Was it private or NHS?

I know, lots of questions but no answers but it may help people to respond that have any advice for you. I am not sure who is furthest out from surgery on this forum but they might have some feedback for you. Also, I think I remember a few people from Wales on here.

Best of luck to you and I will follow this thread to see how you get on. This group is great with lots of lovely helpful people. Well done with the maintaining your loss, that is brilliant!

My story - Had a gastric band three years ago and over the first 18 months lost 4 stone, this has been maintained but still have 4 stone to go. Have never talked to anyone about what it feels like, why do I bring up large balls of mucus? why is it sometimes I can eat more than others? Is it normal to get stuck for 18 mths? Are there any support groups in Cardiff or nearby? What food should'nt I eat? Is anyone a vegetarian? Please help so much help I need, Im craking up here:cry:

hi elle

i was banded march 2005 if your maintaining after this long maybe your portions need cutting down a little and exercise upped, the mucus you have been bringing up is saliva, if the food isnt chewed properly, it sits in the band hole, and when u naturally swallow saliva it has no where to go as it cant pass because of the food, it builds up and eventually comes back up as mucus.
i like you can sometimes eat more food on some days and not others, this can be for a few reasons, firstly it depends on the type of food eaten the more sloppy it is the more you can eat with a band, secondly if you are stressed or upset in any way the pouch tightens and less food can be tollerated.

liz x

Thanks for respose thus far feels good to have support. I think I may need to have some of my fill out as after reading the thread (thank you) it seems that I may be too full. I was 16 stone to begin with, am now 12, 5ft 2 had it done privately with the hospital group, did have a year follow up but all groups and support was in Birmingham, partly my fault for claiming all was good; it was initially I was losing so the logistics of the band werent my priority. I have had e mails but at my work where I cant respond I have tried to explain and give them my home e mail but without sucess. Me thinks that you guys are gonna be everything and more that I could want in terms of support, care and advice. I have shifted from the pits to the hopeful, thanks all.;)

Elle,

As you were not significantly overweight to begin with, your iniatial weightloss was brilliant but as with most people you will find the final pounds harder to shift.

Basically the only way to get it moving again is too lower the calorie intake and up the excercise.

I think that if you keep having trouble with build up of saliva you should visit GP or make a call back to the team that peformed the operation. To check the staus of the fill in your band and make an adjustment either up or down.

Another suggestion to see if it improves when eating less is too go back to soups for a day. If it is still doing it after liquids you definitely need to see someone. But if it settles then maybe take smaller bites again and relaern the earlier methods of eating.

I hope you feel a bit better soon and you get this sorted and keep that chin up - you have done amazingly well and you should feel proud.

Elle,

As you were not significantly overweight to begin with, your iniatial weightloss was brilliant but as with most people you will find the final pounds harder to shift.

Hi Caz, I don't know if you have misread Elle's initial post (unless I have), but 8 stone is fairly significant. To me anyway. :D

Very helpful post though ;)

Ah, I have now re-read the thread and think I get what you mean. 16 stone start.

Last edited:
hi elle
i had my band 12weeks ago at dolan park and i live in south wales and have all my aftercare in cardiff..where do you live? is your band now full?
welcome to this site
takecare
emma

Hi Elle, and welcome to minis. thanks for sharing your story and well done on your 4 stone weight loss you should be really proud of your achievement. i can't really offer any advice as i was bypassed but i do recall some time ago there were 2 thread on meal ideas one by thailina and i think frosty did the other one. they included lots of veggie options. good luck x

Back