• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How'd I get to here....Bypass story update

mintball

Hi,

Don't really know why I'm about to go into this long post, I just feel that since I joined this site I've gotten some absolutely invaluable advice from many different people. It then dawned on me that I seem to be gaining lots of info and giving nothing. I suppose I feel that nothing I say could really help anyone, but the one gem about this site has been reading about people in similar situations to me and that I'm not on my own, so if I can do that for someone else, then here goes....

I'm 31 (only for another few days though) and have been overweight all my life, my mum had me to the doctors age 13 about my weight, but i was popular and happy so didn't really take it seriously. I plodded along slowly gaining weight until I was 19 and got a job as a Club 18-30 holiday rep!!! I don't think I ever really wanted the job but I saw open interviews and my friends dared me to go for it cos i was a bit of a gobshite and I got through. When I told people what I'd done, eberyone commented about how you have to be fit to do that job and the girls were usually pretty little blonde things..well red rag to a bull. I carried on through all the endless interviews and assesments etc for months just to prove a point but then I got offered the job and I hadn't really allowed that part into my head...but what the hey, I'd show em!!

That was my downfall really, I'd spent most of my life with other people watching what I ate, or at least thats how it felt so here I was a bubbly fat holiday rep, who ate on the run all the time, drinking red bull to keep awake and eating chicken and chips at 3am daily and no-one noticed. It was only when my mum came out to Greece for a visit and burst into tears that I realised what had happened..I was huge and topping the scales age 22 and 23 stones!

Did the repping for 3 years, so one in the eye for the doubters!

Came home and got a job and discovered slimming pills Tenuate Dospan and lost 8 stone in about 6 months and met my now husband. Stopped the tablets (costing £15 a week) and the weight gradually crept back on back up to 18 stone and got pregant with my beautiful daughter Maisie and went back up to 21 stone. tried all the diet clubs, Xenical, reductil, hypnotherapy, accupuncture, got the gym on prescription, nothing left to try and my wedding was booked.

Then I saw an advert in a womens mag, looking for the next people for "you are what you eat" with Gillian McKeith...I'd tried everything else so why not......and I did it too.

I appeared on Channel 4 You are what you and had the colonic etc did the old swimming costume shot...OMG.

It worked, I got down to 15 stone for my wedding and I know that is still large but I think I looked fab, Gillian turned up to my wedding and Channel 4 filmed it for us as a gift.

Great, story should end there, obviously not cos here I am again 2 years after my wedding at 18 and a bit stone with surgery booked.

I've put my family through all of this and ended up almost where i started, I'm not as big as I used to be and the NHS won't fund my op cos I'm not ill enough. The reason I'm not ill is cos even though I eat too much and I eat the wrong things some of the time, on the whole we eat good homemade low fat food but I have a larg portion and then I pick too. I've booked to go private and I can honestly say I've tried more things to lose weight than anyone I've ever met and this is the end of the road for me...it has to work.

I'm really sorry if I've waffled on but I felt I had to tell a bit of my story because I've had so much support from everyone on here so far and

Here's with fingers crossed for all of us for 2009

I hope this is the year all our dreams come true, whatever they may be x x x

Last edited:
Lisa what a lovely story, we have something in common as I applied and got a job as holiday rep with Thompsons when I was 40 I did not last long though missed my grown up kids far too much.....we all have similar stories as to how we got to where we are/where in our quest to be slim and healthy....your life will change so much so soon chick, I thought when I turned 50 I would be fat and miserable it has given me a lovely shot at life again, someone said to me yesterday "you have been so unlucky" and once I would of agreed but I dont see my life like that now at all...I am very lucky and you are too...look forward to seeing you on 31st so heal quick as no excuses missy lol...xx

I'll be there, don't you worry. If I hadn't had you lot here to bounce all my questions off, then i wouldn't have had the balls to go ahead with the surgery cos some of the clinic are like they're selling double glazing the sales pitch is so heavy you don't know who to trust (well apart from the lovely Basil) and family and friends know so little about the surgery, they think the worst straight away.

the people on here are my lifeline and I wouldn't miss the 31st for anything now x x x

Lisa, thanks for sharing your story. i too have been overweight most my life ballooning to my biggset after 3 miscarriages and having my 2 beautiful girls. surgery has been a real positive for me and i can finally say that my weight is under control! good luck with everything and look forward to following your story x

Thanks Tammy, I had a miscarriage before I had my daughter and after I had her I had an ectopic pregnancy where they had to take away one of my tubes, thats when they found I had endometriosis and Polycystic ovaries.

People seem to think I'll get pregnant as soon as I lose the weight but I was just this heavy or heavier all three times I've been pregnant and i fell pregnant 1st or 2nd month all three times and since the tubes removal its been 2 years with no pregnancy. I think we're dealing with a lot more than weight but people won't look past the weight.

My BMI is too heavy to perform a laporoscopy to investigate but my BMI is too low for bypass surgery on the NHS.......Wish they'd decide which side of the fence!!!

My BMI was about the same as yours when i had surgery. i had a laproscopy as we were having lots of problems and they too discovered that i had PCOS! since surgery my symptoms of this have nearly gone. i hope you get some answers soon hun x

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing. It is always good to read how someone else got to wls. It makes everyone feel like they are on your journey with you.

Thanks hun,
Nic;)

Hi Lisa, congratulations on your booked surgery, I bet u feel like a huge weights been lifted and soon you`ll b entering a new chapter in life. Keep us posted hun xxx

Hi Lisa
thanks for your sharing your story with us and I'm looking forward to meeting you on the 31st provided you feel up to it xx

Hiya, I was just wondering, what made you decide to go for the bypass instead of a band? I am hoping to get mine (bypass or band) done on the nhs and I've got a psychology app. on the 13 Jan. The reason I have to see a psycologist is because the consultant I saw said I wasn't even fat!!!!!!!!!(I'm nearly 19 stone!!) and he was questioning my mindset because I was requesting a bypass. I really don't know what to do or which road to go down. Very confused. Loved your story by the way!

Hi there, just wanted to say congratulations on your surgery date and wish you all the luck.

I'm 6 weeks post bypass surgery and am so happy I did it. The weight comes off so quickly that it gives you the encouragement you need... of course coming here and talking to all the wonderful ladies here really helps too.

Good luck with your surgery

Alia

wow lisa what a journey. we have a celeb in the clan. lol
really looking forward to meeting you on the 31st.
take care
hc

Hiya, I was just wondering, what made you decide to go for the bypass instead of a band? I am hoping to get mine (bypass or band) done on the nhs and I've got a psychology app. on the 13 Jan. The reason I have to see a psycologist is because the consultant I saw said I wasn't even fat!!!!!!!!!(I'm nearly 19 stone!!) and he was questioning my mindset because I was requesting a bypass. I really don't know what to do or which road to go down. Very confused. Loved your story by the way!

hodgy i think you will find that for most nhs patients one of the requirments is that 3 proffessionals have to agree that WLS is the right thing for you and that you understand what you are undertaking.

The psycologist that i saw was lovely and i would love to meet her again to say thanks for her help along the way.
HTH
hc

Hiya,

i only went into this whole thing with the band in mind. As i ended up paying privately, cost became a major factor!

Ii put me off the band that if i went on a long haul flight i would have to have liquid taken out of the band and re-inserted after the flight. Also that most people i spoke to said the life span of a band was "thought" to be about 15 years, well i couldn't afford to have it changed again years down the line.

Also because i have PCOS the bypass is said to work best and finally because you can't cheat the bypass like you can the band. I needed this to be for the rest of my life and the band was feeling very temporary.

Thats how i came to my personal decision but obviously everyone has different feeling and different priorities.

Now i've investiated the bypass, even if i was NHS i would go for the bypass just because it seems to fit what i'm looking for and the doctors agree.

Hope it works out for you and the most important thing to me is feeling comfortable with whichever decision you make.

Good luck x x x

I never saw a phsycologist, only Dr New a consultant in obesity and then the surgeon...Dr New was unsure if my lack of self confidence would be improved but boy was he wrong...good luck chick..xx

What the hell do i do now, I had my five year old who I din't even realise knew about my op, sat on my knee last night and out of nowhere burst into tears.

Took me a few minutes to console her but then she blurted out "mummy please don't have theis operation, I don't want you to die"

OMG what the hell do I say to that, I feel terrible that she has been worrying, she hasn't been herself for a week or so. She's overheard things said, but not about dying cos i haven't even dared let myself say that out loud.

I just worry, am I being selfish going for this operation cos Maisie loves me exactly the way I am.

But every time I think about not having it, my whole heart sinks....but am i risking leaving a gorgeous little girl without a mummy.

Needed to get this off my chest, I've not really been scared about the op cos i'm too excited but this has really made me think!!!

Lisa :hug99: I understand what you mean, my son didn't know what kind of surgery I was having, and was acting quite funny in the run up. He was just 7 at the time, but has SEN. I found it helped us both to sit down and talk about it, without explaining what the op was (he's too young to understand), but explaining that mummy would be safe because lots of doctors would be looking after me, and that mummy wanted to have the operation so that she could be healthier and happier etc. I explained that his Nana would be bringing him to visit me the day after, and that his stepdad would call him the night of the op to let him know everything had gone just fine.

Hun you are not the first or the last I'm sure who has felt this way before surgery. It is really common because we look at this surgery as 'elective' when it really isn't. It really saves lives!!!

Big (((hugs))) to you. You made your choice already and have fought hard for it. You did your research and thought it all through. Now you just need take a deep breath and pull up your courage and move forward. I know you have lots of fight left in you!!!

Best to you hun.
Nichole;)

Hi Lisa, i have an 8 year old and a 2 year old. my 8 year old was very worried about mummy having an op and i think she would have felt like that whatever i was having done. she understood to the best of her ability why i wanted surgery and she is so proud of what i have achieved.

i worried constantly that i wouldn't make it through the op but weighing it up i knew that my health was a likely to kill me anyway.

i found lots of talking to my little one helped and she visited me straight after which helped us both.

remember you have made this difficult decision for the right reasons and it will only improve your life. thinking of you hun x

Back