• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

9 days to go - and scared

Jillybean8

Hi,
I'm 50, and I live in Spain. I have 9 days to go until the op. I've been waiting for 4 years. The hospital have brought my date forward by two months so I have not had the prep visit with the surgeon yet and I have no info.
in 2 days I have 4 pre-op tests. I went to see my GP a couple of days ago, as she has had the same op and she told me more or less that I would be in hospital 2 days and then off work for a week or two.
I started the sachets of soup yesterday. I did Cambridge diet years ago and was ok with the soups and not hungry but this time I am uncomfortably hungry. I know it's just been a day so I am hoping it gets better tomorrow.
I'm diabetic and the doctor says it's weight related and will go away once I lose the weight.
Right now I am just terrified as two family members have died in surgery this year. Not weight loss surgery but going into surgery is scary anyway.
What do people take into hospital with them? Should I take a dress for coming out? I feel like I am floundering with a lack of info here. Will I ever be able to eat a normal sized portion again?
OK... going to start reading this whole site!

Hello and welcome @Jillybean8 :D

Which surgery are you having, not long to wait now.

We have threads on here for what to take into hospital but basically less is more. It also depends on which surgery how long you'll be in for and therefore need. I had a sleeve and took one pair of comfy pyjamas (wore the gown for the first day/night) a dressing gown and slippers. Some loose and comfortable clothes for the journey home, including a soft bra and the usual toiletries. What I found a godsend were my ear phones to drown out the hospital hustle and bustle and my kindle to while away the hours.

No you won't be able to eat what you think of now as a normal sized portion but that's the point of having the surgery, surely?

Good luck and its only natural to feel nervous xx

Thank you so much for your advice. I will take earphones.
My problem at the moment is that the surgery is in 8 days and I have no idea whats going on. I am honestly learning more here than from the hospital. My surgeon said that they won't decide which type of operation I am having until they are inside. It will either be the one which just leaves you with a tube instead of a stomach, or they will leave a yoghurt pot sized bit of stomach. They said they prefer to leave a yoghurt pot but it depends on manoeuvrability inside.
They said 2 to 3 days in hospital but some people have been in 6 days.
My op was brought forward from December so all the appointments where I should have been given all this info are still scheduled for November!

We have threads on here for what to take into hospital but basically less is more. It also depends on which surgery how long you'll be in for and therefore need. I had a sleeve and took one pair of comfy pyjamas (wore the gown for the first day/night) a dressing gown and slippers. Some loose and comfortable clothes for the journey home, including a soft bra and the usual toiletries. What I found a godsend were my ear phones to drown out the hospital hustle and bustle and my kindle to while away the hours.

No you won't be able to eat what you think of now as a normal sized portion but that's the point of having the surgery, surely?

Didn't drink enough liquids yesterday and have been nauseous today with a splitting head. Lesson learnt. Drink and drink.
So glad I decided to investigate Minimims again and found this place via there!

How come you don’t know what surgery you’re having? My surgeon left the choice to me. I 100% wanted a sleeve from the beginning and he was on board with it. I know sometimes it can depend on what your insides are like but they should have a main goal in mind and I had each operation explained to me in great detail. Take time to read the diaries of people who have had different types of surgery and decide what’s best for you, then you can speak to your surgeon. :)

Pack light for the hospital! I was admitted on the Sunday afternoon and my operation was Monday morning. I was home Wednesday afternoon. I packed so much and I only used my pjs on the first night and then to come home in, the rest of the time I was in the hospital gown as I didn’t care one bit what I looked like, was a miserable time lol
Basic toiletries and earphones as they are noisy places and you’ll just want to sleep.

Best of luck with everything, you'll be on the losers bench before you know it!! Xx

How come you don’t know what surgery you’re having? My surgeon left the choice to me. I 100% wanted a sleeve from the beginning and he was on board with it. I know sometimes it can depend on what your insides are like but they should have a main goal in mind and I had each operation explained to me in great detail. Take time to read the diaries of people who have had different types of surgery and decide what’s best for you, then you can speak to your surgeon. :)

Pack light for the hospital! I was admitted on the Sunday afternoon and my operation was Monday morning. I was home Wednesday afternoon. I packed so much and I only used my pjs on the first night and then to come home in, the rest of the time I was in the hospital gown as I didn’t care one bit what I looked like, was a miserable time lol
Basic toiletries and earphones as they are noisy places and you’ll just want to sleep.

Best of luck with everything, you'll be on the losers bench before you know it!! Xx

Laaux,
Op on Monday and home on Wednesday. That sounds good!
The last meeting I had with the surgeon she said tube or yoghurt pot but it depended on how much they could move once inside. The yoghurt pot is her aim. I'm supposing from what I have read here that she meant move the liver. In a way I wish they hadn't brought it forward and I had been able to ask all the questions at the appointment in November. Now, hopefully in November I will be happily losing and won't care!
Thanks so much for the good luck. It's really scary at the moment!
Jill

Just telling you tube" versus "yoghurt pot" is quite misleading, there's much more to it than just the shape of the stomach. I assume they mean a gastric bypass with the latter, in which case you do a lot more than just creating a "yoghurt pot" sized stomach. You'd also be re-routing the intestines, which has other implications than the sleeve (which I assume is what they mean by "the tube").

Are you aware of what the differences are and how the two tools work?

It's not unheard of to leave the decision of which one to go with until they get inside (manoeuvrability being, as you say, one of the factors), but they really should discuss the two procedures with you so you know what they mean and what to expect afterwards. By "moving things" they are talking about the intestines, not the liver. The liver will need to be lifted regardless of which procedure you have, but with a bypass you also need space to work with the intestines.

In terms of the hospital stay, be aware that that can vary quite a bit from person to person so while they might aim for two days, it could well be more. I was in hospital for a week for example, as my healing was rather slow. When it comes to what to pack Mazza and Laaux are spot on - less is more. I didn't use half of the things I brought. Earplugs is definitely one thing I can recommend if you are a light sleeper.

I was petrified before my surgery so I fully empathise with you! I had a bypass so feel free to ask any questions you might have as that seems to be your surgeon's preferred choice.

Just telling you tube" versus "yoghurt pot" is quite misleading, there's much more to it than just the shape of the stomach. I assume they mean a gastric bypass with the latter, in which case you do a lot more than just creating a "yoghurt pot" sized stomach. You'd also be re-routing the intestines, which has other implications than the sleeve (which I assume is what they mean by "the tube").

Are you aware of what the differences are and how the two tools work?

It's not unheard of to leave the decision of which one to go with until they get inside (manoeuvrability being, as you say, one of the factors), but they really should discuss the two procedures with you so you know what they mean and what to expect afterwards. By "moving things" they are talking about the intestines, not the liver. The liver will need to be lifted regardless of which procedure you have, but with a bypass you also need space to work with the intestines.

In terms of the hospital stay, be aware that that can vary quite a bit from person to person so while they might aim for two days, it could well be more. I was in hospital for a week for example, as my healing was rather slow. When it comes to what to pack Mazza and Laaux are spot on - less is more. I didn't use half of the things I brought. Earplugs is definitely one thing I can recommend if you are a light sleeper.

I was petrified before my surgery so I fully empathise with you! I had a bypass so feel free to ask any questions you might have as that seems to be your surgeon's preferred choice.

TiaLi,
I shall hunt out my earphones over the weekend.
You're quite right about the lack of knowledge. I have 4 tests at the hospital tomorrow and am going to ask if they can schedule me a visit with the surgeon before the op, as it's still scheduled a month after the present op date but a month before my original op date. I think they just had a vacant slot and put me in, forgetting that I hadn't had the appointment where they explain everything to me!
I feel like I am going in blind and the lack of information is making me more worried. I do feel better after coming on here though and getting so much information and support.
I won't be surprised if my healing is slow too as I have type 2 diabetes and any injury I have seems to take ages to heal.
Thank you so much
Jill

Ok well let me give you a quick overview then:

Gastric Sleeve ("the tube")
What they do: This is where they simply cut your stomach vertically, into a banana-shaped tube. The excess part of the stomach is completely removed and thrown away. You don't touch the intestines, nor do you remove the pyloric valve (the sphincter muscle at the bottom of your stomach).
How it works: This is a purely restrictive surgery, you limit the amount of food you can hold in your stomach.
Pros: Surgery is quicker than the bypass, so you are under anaesthesia for a shorter time. You don't mess with the intestines, so you don't have the same risk of complications such as intestinal blockages etc. It is also very rare that you will experience any dumping (see bypass).
Cons: High risk of issues with reflux afterwards, as the pressure in the stomach will increase. For this reason they often advice against the sleeve for people who already have reflux issues. You also have a higher risk of leakage, since you have a longer staple line than with the bypass.

Gastric Bypass ("the yoghurt pot")
What they do: They will first create a small pouch at the top of your stomach. The excess part of the stomach is kept inside you (unlike the sleeve, where it is removed completely) but will no longer have any contact with the food you eat. It does, however, still help with the production of stomach acid. They then bypass (hence the name) part of your intestines, and connect the jejunum to your pouch (it is also sewn together with the intestine from your residual stomach that is helping with the production of stomach acid). If you google it you can find a picture of what it looks like, might make more sense than my explanation!
How it works: This works both through restriction and a reduced calorie-intake since your intestines are now shorter (though it doesn't actually reduce it as much as many people think)
Pros: If you have reflux prior to surgery, a bypass will usually help with this. Since you no longer have the pyloric valve in your active stomach, you tend to reduce the pressure within the stomach. Also, a bypass will usually have a positive impact on type 2 diabetes (beyond just through the weightloss). This is why it is sometimes carried out even on people with a lower BMI, if they have severe diabetes.
Cons: Longer surgery, you may experience dumping syndrome (hypoglycemia) afterwards when eating things high in sugar or fat (that CAN happen with a sleeve as well, but it's quite rare). Not everyone dumps though, I had a bypass and have for example never dumped. Others dump with very little - it's a bit of a lottery. With the bypass, you also need to be more vigilant with your vitamin routine, which you will need to be on for life. That's because the part of your intestines that are bypassed is where the body usually absorbs most of its vitamins from.

You'll often see stats saying that you'll lose more with a bypass than a sleeve, but those stats are usually at a year out. At two years out it tends to even out (you'll generally lose weight quicker with a bypass, but for longer with a sleeve). So both are highly effective, they just work in different ways. Which one you go with usually depends on what your eating habits are and any comorbidities you might have. For example, if you have a sweet tooth a bypass can be helpful since the dumping will teach you very quickly to stay away from sugary things!

@Jillybean8 i am really really shocked that you are so close to surgery with so little knowledge!

The fact that you asked if you will ever be able
to eat a normal sized meal again tells me that you have no clue what you are about to get yourself into! This really worries me!

This is life changing surgery no matter which of the procedures you are given and you need to be menatally prepared for the changes that you must make both to make this successful for weight loss, but also to ensure your continuing health.

@TiaLi has given you the information above which you need to understand what is required from either procedure.

If you do not feel informed or ready for this then you MUST postpone this! If you are not mentally ready to accept and deal with the lifestyle changes then you will not be able or ready to deal with the recovery let alone using your tool for the rest of your life.

In addition you need to find out what mental support they will offer you, do you get psychological support/therapy? If this is offered please accept it, this is a really important part of the process understanding your relationship with food and breaking down your current coping mechanisms with food - to stop using food emotionally.

I do hope you can sort this out but please please make sure you know what you are letting yourself in for and you are happy with the changes needed for the rest of your life!!!!!

Just to add as well... I had a bypass and I was off work for 7 weeks - everyone is different but you will have a set diet for a number of weeks, I was liquids for 2 weeks, purée 2 weeks and soft for 2 weeks, so my GP wanted me on normal foods before going back to work. However, I would not have been ready to go back earlier. This is a major operation on the inside even though you may only have 4 or 5 wounds on the outside!

Ok well let me give you a quick overview then:

Gastric Sleeve ("the tube")
What they do: This is where they simply cut your stomach vertically, into a banana-shaped tube. The excess part of the stomach is completely removed and thrown away. You don't touch the intestines, nor do you remove the pyloric valve (the sphincter muscle at the bottom of your stomach).
How it works: This is a purely restrictive surgery, you limit the amount of food you can hold in your stomach.
Pros: Surgery is quicker than the bypass, so you are under anaesthesia for a shorter time. You don't mess with the intestines, so you don't have the same risk of complications such as intestinal blockages etc. It is also very rare that you will experience any dumping (see bypass).
Cons: High risk of issues with reflux afterwards, as the pressure in the stomach will increase. For this reason they often advice against the sleeve for people who already have reflux issues. You also have a higher risk of leakage, since you have a longer staple line than with the bypass.

Gastric Bypass ("the yoghurt pot")
What they do: They will first create a small pouch at the top of your stomach. The excess part of the stomach is kept inside you (unlike the sleeve, where it is removed completely) but will no longer have any contact with the food you eat. It does, however, still help with the production of stomach acid. They then bypass (hence the name) part of your intestines, and connect the jejunum to your pouch (it is also sewn together with the intestine from your residual stomach that is helping with the production of stomach acid). If you google it you can find a picture of what it looks like, might make more sense than my explanation!
How it works: This works both through restriction and a reduced calorie-intake since your intestines are now shorter (though it doesn't actually reduce it as much as many people think)
Pros: If you have reflux prior to surgery, a bypass will usually help with this. Since you no longer have the pyloric valve in your active stomach, you tend to reduce the pressure within the stomach. Also, a bypass will usually have a positive impact on type 2 diabetes (beyond just through the weightloss). This is why it is sometimes carried out even on people with a lower BMI, if they have severe diabetes.
Cons: Longer surgery, you may experience dumping syndrome (hypoglycemia) afterwards when eating things high in sugar or fat (that CAN happen with a sleeve as well, but it's quite rare). Not everyone dumps though, I had a bypass and have for example never dumped. Others dump with very little - it's a bit of a lottery. With the bypass, you also need to be more vigilant with your vitamin routine, which you will need to be on for life. That's because the part of your intestines that are bypassed is where the body usually absorbs most of its vitamins from.

You'll often see stats saying that you'll lose more with a bypass than a sleeve, but those stats are usually at a year out. At two years out it tends to even out (you'll generally lose weight quicker with a bypass, but for longer with a sleeve). So both are highly effective, they just work in different ways. Which one you go with usually depends on what your eating habits are and any comorbidities you might have. For example, if you have a sweet tooth a bypass can be helpful since the dumping will teach you very quickly to stay away from sugary things!

This is incredibly informative and useful, thank you. I really appreciate it.
I had the gastroscopy today and then electro and x-ray. I have an appointment with the anesthetist tomorrow.

@Jillybean8 i am really really shocked that you are so close to surgery with so little knowledge!

The fact that you asked if you will ever be able
to eat a normal sized meal again tells me that you have no clue what you are about to get yourself into! This really worries me!

This is life changing surgery no matter which of the procedures you are given and you need to be menatally prepared for the changes that you must make both to make this successful for weight loss, but also to ensure your continuing health.

@TiaLi has given you the information above which you need to understand what is required from either procedure.

If you do not feel informed or ready for this then you MUST postpone this! If you are not mentally ready to accept and deal with the lifestyle changes then you will not be able or ready to deal with the recovery let alone using your tool for the rest of your life.

In addition you need to find out what mental support they will offer you, do you get psychological support/therapy? If this is offered please accept it, this is a really important part of the process understanding your relationship with food and breaking down your current coping mechanisms with food - to stop using food emotionally.

I do hope you can sort this out but please please make sure you know what you are letting yourself in for and you are happy with the changes needed for the rest of your life!!!!!

Just to add as well... I had a bypass and I was off work for 7 weeks - everyone is different but you will have a set diet for a number of weeks, I was liquids for 2 weeks, purée 2 weeks and soft for 2 weeks, so my GP wanted me on normal foods before going back to work. However, I would not have been ready to go back earlier. This is a major operation on the inside even though you may only have 4 or 5 wounds on the outside!

Hannah,
I really appreciate your advice.
I was supposed to have counselling before the op but they moved the op forward without moving the counselling forward, or moving forward the pre-op appointment with the surgeon which is when she was going to go through everything in detail. It has always seemed such a distant event, then all of a sudden it's imminent so I am reading up everything I can find.
This has to happen to get rid of my diabetes and I need to deal with it to be healthy. From an aesthetic point of view, I don't mind but the diabetes needs to be dealt with.
Jill

I think what Hannah means is that unless you are well prepared for what will be required after surgery, it won't actually be successful (and hence won't have the desired outcome - whether that's to get the diabetes under control or aesthetics). Since the surgery is a one-chance only/ last resort kind of thing, the timing/preparation is very important, or it will be a wasted opportunity. Surgery is definitely not a magic fix, it is a tool and you need to use it correctly. Yes, everyone will lose weight pretty much without any effort in the beginning - but once you are further out it is a LOT easier than people think to regain again. Slider foods (e.g. ice cream, chocolate, crisps) will go through your pouch very quickly, so the fact that it is so much smaller than what your stomach used to be doesn't mean it's difficult to still clock up excess calories. All you need to do is graze throughout the day on the wrong things. Many people come to forums like these and get super excited reading about people's impressive weight loss, but he truth is most people who post here are still in the "honeymoon phase". People tend to drop off about a year or so after they had their surgery, because they no longer have the same need for support. For that reason, you don't often get to read about the regain stories etc, so it becomes heavily weighted towards success stories. It took me four years from referral to actual surgery (long story) so I've been researching on forums like these for many years now. During that time I've seen plenty of people who stopped losing a lot quicker than they expected, or regained what they lost. I can now usually also guess who those people will be based on certain signs in the early stages post surgery.

Since you have so little knowledge, the fear is that you will have very little mental preparation (because that's difficult to have when you don't even know what the different surgeries actually mean). Even if you haven't had your meeting with the surgeon yet, I'm a bit surprised you haven't done any research of your own at all until now, given that you have been waiting for four years. We're only saying this out of genuine concern, please don't take it the wrong way!

If you are determined on going ahead a week from now, my advice would be to research, research, research as much as humanly possible in that time. Feel free to ask us lots of questions, I had my bypass in March so am 7 months out now. The more knowledge you arm yourself with, the higher your chances of success will be (and it will also make you feel less anxious about the surgery! At least that's how I work).

I agree with everything that Hannah and Tia have said. I consider it negligent of the hospital to allow you to have the surgery before you have been through the process of preparation.

I am also guessing that the new date you have been offered is a cancellation as they try to get people off the waiting list to meet their targets or they get fined!

Mental preparation is vital for this to succeed and an understanding of what the procedures are and the effects each one has on the body so you make an informed choice with your surgeon. Talk of yoghurt pots and surgeon making the decision when you are on the table worries me and that you are passively waiting for someone to ‘fix you’ when in fact you very much should be the person in charge of your body and the health professionals are there to support you in making the changes.

I too was/technically still am diabetic but unless yours is imminently life threatening then I would suggest you take some advice from your GP or the dietitian as soon as possible.

I am just over a year out. The first six months seemed comparatively easy to the second where I have battled continuously to keep my diet where it should be.

I think what Hannah means is that unless you are well prepared for what will be required after surgery, it won't actually be successful (and hence won't have the desired outcome - whether that's to get the diabetes under control or aesthetics). Since the surgery is a one-chance only/ last resort kind of thing, the timing/preparation is very important, or it will be a wasted opportunity. Surgery is definitely not a magic fix, it is a tool and you need to use it correctly. Yes, everyone will lose weight pretty much without any effort in the beginning - but once you are further out it is a LOT easier than people think to regain again. Slider foods (e.g. ice cream, chocolate, crisps) will go through your pouch very quickly, so the fact that it is so much smaller than what your stomach used to be doesn't mean it's difficult to still clock up excess calories. All you need to do is graze throughout the day on the wrong things. Many people come to forums like these and get super excited reading about people's impressive weight loss, but he truth is most people who post here are still in the "honeymoon phase". People tend to drop off about a year or so after they had their surgery, because they no longer have the same need for support. For that reason, you don't often get to read about the regain stories etc, so it becomes heavily weighted towards success stories. It took me four years from referral to actual surgery (long story) so I've been researching on forums like these for many years now. During that time I've seen plenty of people who stopped losing a lot quicker than they expected, or regained what they lost. I can now usually also guess who those people will be based on certain signs in the early stages post surgery.

Since you have so little knowledge, the fear is that you will have very little mental preparation (because that's difficult to have when you don't even know what the different surgeries actually mean). Even if you haven't had your meeting with the surgeon yet, I'm a bit surprised you haven't done any research of your own at all until now, given that you have been waiting for four years. We're only saying this out of genuine concern, please don't take it the wrong way!

If you are determined on going ahead a week from now, my advice would be to research, research, research as much as humanly possible in that time. Feel free to ask us lots of questions, I had my bypass in March so am 7 months out now. The more knowledge you arm yourself with, the higher your chances of success will be (and it will also make you feel less anxious about the surgery! At least that's how I work).

TiaLi,
Not taking it the wrong way :) I'm very grateful for any and all insights. I have been researching the past few days and today I had an appointment with the anaesthetist and it was very informative. I'll be having the sleeve operation. I have read up on it and also talked to a couple of people here in the village who have been through the same process. I am aware I am going to have hard times ahead but I am determined to get through it.
Jill

I agree with everything that Hannah and Tia have said. I consider it negligent of the hospital to allow you to have the surgery before you have been through the process of preparation.

I am also guessing that the new date you have been offered is a cancellation as they try to get people off the waiting list to meet their targets or they get fined!

Mental preparation is vital for this to succeed and an understanding of what the procedures are and the effects each one has on the body so you make an informed choice with your surgeon. Talk of yoghurt pots and surgeon making the decision when you are on the table worries me and that you are passively waiting for someone to ‘fix you’ when in fact you very much should be the person in charge of your body and the health professionals are there to support you in making the changes.

I too was/technically still am diabetic but unless yours is imminently life threatening then I would suggest you take some advice from your GP or the dietitian as soon as possible.

I am just over a year out. The first six months seemed comparatively easy to the second where I have battled continuously to keep my diet where it should be.

Sam,

The anaesthetist said today I was booked in for sleeve. Yoghurt pot seems to be the standard term of size used here to talk to people about bypass and post op diet as dieticians have been using the term here in courses I've been to for years.
I'n not waiting to be fixed. Ive been going walking and changing my diet and eating less and on my own Ive gone down from 154 kilos to 136 kilos. (at my heaviest I was 164)
This is something I have been fighting with all my life and the past couple of years I have made the effort to be more active.
I do think you are right about the hospital putting me in a cancellation slot. In a way I'm happy as it is going to be done earlier and I will be able to fly to UK at xmas to see my mum but I'm also hassled at the rush.
Thanks for telling me that the second 6 months are more difficult. I will try to prepare for that.
... and thank you for all your comments. :)
Jill

Sam,

The anaesthetist said today I was booked in for sleeve. Yoghurt pot seems to be the standard term of size used here to talk to people about bypass and post op diet as dieticians have been using the term here in courses I've been to for years.
I'n not waiting to be fixed. Ive been going walking and changing my diet and eating less and on my own Ive gone down from 154 kilos to 136 kilos. (at my heaviest I was 164)
This is something I have been fighting with all my life and the past couple of years I have made the effort to be more active.
I do think you are right about the hospital putting me in a cancellation slot. In a way I'm happy as it is going to be done earlier and I will be able to fly to UK at xmas to see my mum but I'm also hassled at the rush.
Thanks for telling me that the second 6 months are more difficult. I will try to prepare for that.
... and thank you for all your comments. :)
Jill
please accept my apologies Jill for reading things into your original post that we’re not there it shows how easy it is to misread electronic communication! Well done on such a fantastic loss so far

From your post about your mum and Xmas am I right in thinking this is not NHS surgery? Sorry if you have mentioned this in an earlier post.
I am pleased your appointment went well and you are more informed by the team. I can also understand how hassled you must feel at such short notice with so much to do. Have just come out of surgery myself that only had a date with two weeks notice although have been waiting since May to know when it is.

My tips for post op are to take a cushion for the journey home to hold over your wounds for the bumpy bits, make sure you have a good stock of laxatives in the house (although not the fibre type), your food cupboard/fridge are stocked with the protein elements you have been advised for your diet, you have plenty of suppprt both physical and emotional, rest and be kind to yourself, drink plenty of water, and tell your mum not to get a big turkey as at that stage you will only be eating the amount a 2 year old has!

You also need to check out with your dietitian what vits and meds you will be prescribed as you are very likely going to need liquid/soluble for the first 4 weeks so nothing gets caught on the staples.

please accept my apologies Jill for reading things into your original post that we’re not there it shows how easy it is to misread electronic communication! Well done on such a fantastic loss so far

From your post about your mum and Xmas am I right in thinking this is not NHS surgery? Sorry if you have mentioned this in an earlier post.
I am pleased your appointment went well and you are more informed by the team. I can also understand how hassled you must feel at such short notice with so much to do. Have just come out of surgery myself that only had a date with two weeks notice although have been waiting since May to know when it is.

My tips for post op are to take a cushion for the journey home to hold over your wounds for the bumpy bits, make sure you have a good stock of laxatives in the house (although not the fibre type), your food cupboard/fridge are stocked with the protein elements you have been advised for your diet, you have plenty of suppprt both physical and emotional, rest and be kind to yourself, drink plenty of water, and tell your mum not to get a big turkey as at that stage you will only be eating the amount a 2 year old has!

You also need to check out with your dietitian what vits and meds you will be prescribed as you are very likely going to need liquid/soluble for the first 4 weeks so nothing gets caught on the staples.

Sam,
Heavens no apologies! I am grateful for all comments and advice. I'm in Spain Sam, I've been living here for years, so its on Spanish equivalent of NHS. Hopefully by the end of December I will have learnt what I can and can't eat and travelling will be hassle free and airplane seats will be roomier!
The tip about taking a cushion for the journey home oh so good! Why don't they tell you things like that! I shall take a squishy. Laxatives - thanks. I shall stock up on Friday.
I will have plenty of support. I have a good network of friends around and my doctor has had this same operation herself, but earlier this year so she is familiar with the problems on a personal level.
Really really appreciate your advice - thanks!

Jill

Peppermint tea for settling stomach and for wind!

Make sure you have as much protein as poss after the op - add milk powder (like marvel) to your soups, or grated cheddar cheese to increase protein. Your dietician should advise what levels you are aiming for. Watch your sugar levels - dumping not as common with sleeve but can happen.

Keep drinking as much as you can - it will be sips at first but keep sip sip sipping - some find a straw or a sippy cup/ water bottle useful.

If you have a drink swallow test/X-ray with contrast dye after the op be aware the dye can give you the runs - wind may not just be wind!

Rest rest and rest after the op.

A V pillow will be useful in bed to prop you up and stop you turning on your side which can hurt. Or use multiple pillows around you.

Don't underestimate the healing going on inside!

Side effect from surgery usually after around 4 months is hair falling out - it can come out simply by running your hand through your hair - it will stop eventually after a few months, usually causes hair to get much thinner, but will start to grow back.

Make sure you take pics and most importantly measurements before op - I didn't measure and really wish I had done!

You will probably need vitamin B12 injections as we can't absorb it sufficiently - regular blood tests are necessary to monitor for calcium vit D, bit B12 and iron levels. You need to take calcium and multivitamin and poss iron or vitD tablets for rest of life.

Constipation can be an issue - keep hydrated and as @SAM55 said have some stuff ready in case. Some people prefer suppositories so you don't have to take more tablets! Using a stool/step to raise your feet can also help to stop you needing to strain to go.

Peppermint tea for settling stomach and for wind!

Make sure you have as much protein as poss after the op - add milk powder (like marvel) to your soups, or grated cheddar cheese to increase protein. Your dietician should advise what levels you are aiming for. Watch your sugar levels - dumping not as common with sleeve but can happen.

Keep drinking as much as you can - it will be sips at first but keep sip sip sipping - some find a straw or a sippy cup/ water bottle useful.

If you have a drink swallow test/X-ray with contrast dye after the op be aware the dye can give you the runs - wind may not just be wind!

Rest rest and rest after the op.

A V pillow will be useful in bed to prop you up and stop you turning on your side which can hurt. Or use multiple pillows around you.

Don't underestimate the healing going on inside!

Side effect from surgery usually after around 4 months is hair falling out - it can come out simply by running your hand through your hair - it will stop eventually after a few months, usually causes hair to get much thinner, but will start to grow back.

Make sure you take pics and most importantly measurements before op - I didn't measure and really wish I had done!

You will probably need vitamin B12 injections as we can't absorb it sufficiently - regular blood tests are necessary to monitor for calcium vit D, bit B12 and iron levels. You need to take calcium and multivitamin and poss iron or vitD tablets for rest of life.

Constipation can be an issue - keep hydrated and as @SAM55 said have some stuff ready in case. Some people prefer suppositories so you don't have to take more tablets! Using a stool/step to raise your feet can also help to stop you needing to strain to go.

Hannah,
You are an absolute star and Sam and TiaLi too. This is all really useful.
I have made a document with all your good advice and printed it and stuck it in the note book I am using to keep all the info together. I'm going to keep reading through it.
I shall take measurements at the weekend.

Sorry, I know I don't know you but ..... hugggggs
Jill

Back