• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A day in my pouch !

PokeyKoala

I'm on day 4 post op (if I don't count the day itself) and I think I have managed my 2 litres of fluids today.

The big break through was NO PAIN RELIEF - I feel almost normal, but still get tired spells through the day.

I tolerate warm milk well, so that's been on the menu - add Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup and it tastes like ice cream - yum. :p
Protein Shake 500mls throughout the day
Water and Tea - both which gurgle through me like a drain
I batch cooked Mince for my husbands dinners next week. I made it extra juicy and strained a small mug of the juice from it - a bit like a consommé and it was flipping lovely.
No grumbles from the belly dweller so far! :D

Butterfly_lady

Glad all is going well :)

trish418

Butterfly lady is the Mr Richardson who done your bypass the same martin richardson from Heartlands nhs/ spire parkway? Only asking because if it is im having my bypass with him on 21.5.14. Sorry to hijack your thread PokeyKoala, Im glad your doing so well so quickly after your op.

heavenlykaty

Hi Pokeykoala
well done on your progress so far, glad no more pain relief x

I find this site quite weird to navigate, I cant find my previous post but I did get your post re support group Gatwick, that great news and yes,yes,yes it would be great to have you there too.
so thats 3 of us CarrieB, you and me, threes a crowd so thats cool, we will wait until you can drive again pokey, then find a venue.....what do you think?

You are doing really well, so pleased for you xx kate x

Butterfly_lady

Butterfly lady is the Mr Richardson who done your bypass the same martin richardson from Heartlands nhs/ spire parkway? Only asking because if it is im having my bypass with him on 21.5.14. Sorry to hijack your thread PokeyKoala, Im glad your doing so well so quickly after your op.

Yes that the one :)

trish418

Thanks for replying butterfly lady, Im new to this site so its taken me a while to find this thread again and reply! Your weight loss is fab lets hope he can work his majic on me too!

PokeyKoala

Meeting up sounds like a plan Katy !

The belly dweller seemed to have less of a good day yesterday, I was comparing the shop bought ready made protein drinks with the powdered one I have in the house. I probably had too much in one day as I didn't feel too well in the afternoon and a bit of a trotty bot - but all seems fine today.

I do have a strange coated tongue, but since my digestive system is all upside down and re-plumbed, I am sure that is to be expected. Would be interested to know if anyone else had that in early days or later on?
Will drop a note to the dietician and see if she has any advice.

OH is in the kitchen making his chicken and veg soup and I'm looking forwards to that later in the week when it's time to try purees.

Yvessa

The furry tongue is normal and a side effect of ketosis. drink lots, brush often and wait a couple of weeks on that one. The protein drinks aren't a one size fits all - some people struggle with some brands, I find most brands taste rank, mix badly and have a horrendous texture. Are you mixing with water or milk?

PokeyKoala

Mixing it with milk Yve - I've got no problems with milk. I find the taste of the brand I'm using is fine. I may even try another flavour. :D
The ready mixed ones I've had were very nice - just too pricey to be a regular habit.

Yvessa

Not jut taste hon but also tolerance. Not everyone can tolerate every brand and I'm talking body builders not just post ops.

PokeyKoala

Who would have thought baby rice would taste so good. No grumbles from the belly dweller and nice to have something a bit more substantial than water going down.
Roll on the weekend when I can try pureed food!

carrieb

Happy Bypasser
Glad you're doing well. As for the furry tongue, I thought it would never go, and tbh it took a good couple of months, if not longer, in my case. But it does go. and I found the puree'd stage the worst - especially as I didn't really feel like eating anyway. How long are you on puree's for?

PokeyKoala

Two weeks. I'm hoping Its going to give me some sort of sensation of fullness as I don't feel much at the moment.
I can quite happily drink a cuppa as I did before but I am presuming that liquids are just quicker through the pouch.

I occasionally feel a bit peckish, but I am not sure if that is head or tummy hunger, however I'm wondering if as the swelling goes down, the more the sensation will return. :confused:

carrieb

Happy Bypasser
I could only drink half cups of tea at this stage, but we're all different. Have you tried milky coffee? Great for getting your protein, and filling too. I would imagine you're experiencing head hunger, but I'm no expert. Took 6 months for me to feel actual hunger.

PokeyKoala

Yup, Milky drinks, Protein Drinks, Cup of thin soup, thin sloppy baby rice I have no problems with them. Things may change when I am thicker puree.

I think you are right on the head hunger - normally I would be ravenous on the amount I am eating but it's coming up to my usual lunch time and my head is telling me I should be hungry haha.

PokeyKoala

One very sloppy Weetabix for lunch. It was lovely. The bellydweller thought so too and didn't grumble. Going to try it on blitzed French Onion Soup for tea.

PokeyKoala

Well I have been experimenting this week, testing the pouch out on a few different things - all sloppy and pureed, but to introduce some different tastes has been great.

Chicken Casserole, Hummus, Chicken and minestrone (minus the pasta) soup, Muller lighter dessert, mashed potato have all gone down well with no problems.

Still, I can't wait to be on the next stage of mushy food and would love to get back in the pool too. I think I will wait until the end of next week for that.

Going to try a mild chicken curry tonight with sweet potato - should be interesting.

heavenlykaty

Hello Pokey

I am glad things are progressing well, hows the pain these days.

All good here, just waiting and waiting........

Hope to meet up soon x

PokeyKoala

No pain Katy - the odd twinge, but Surgeon says it's just muscles knitting back together.

I know the waiting is boring but hang in there :D x

PokeyKoala

So i've tested the pouch on egg, soft boiled and mashed, Chicken curry - pureed. Sausage, mashed and chewed the hell out of it. Pureed Macaroni cheese and mashed baked beans - not all at once and the pouch as coped well - no grumbles.

I did feel slightly tired and a touch woozy after the beans so I'm not sure what that was all about and it passed in about 20mins - will keep an eye out for that.