• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

a day in the life of a bypasser

mintball

Well i've been fretting and fretting but reading everyones posts do tend to help me. Now because i'm not very good at navigating round the forum i thought i'd ask any bypassers to give me a rough daily layout of what they eat in an "average" day and how long since their surgery.

I know everyone's different but thought to have this laid out on one thread it would be interesting both to people thinking of having the op and ones who have already had it.

Thanks for doing this to put a crazy lady's mind at rest x x x

Well i've been fretting and fretting but reading everyones posts do tend to help me. Now because i'm not very good at navigating round the forum i thought i'd ask any bypassers to give me a rough daily layout of what they eat in an "average" day and how long since their surgery.

I know everyone's different but thought to have this laid out on one thread it would be interesting both to people thinking of having the op and ones who have already had it.

Thanks for doing this to put a crazy lady's mind at rest x x x

Hi Lisa,
i like you worry i may be able to eat to much..i did call the dietician and she did not appear concerned, so here goes...for breakfast i ave either 1 weetabix or 2 rusks, for lunch i have a good size bowl of soup and for dinner i eat a full weight watchers meal or the equivilant of when i make something myself....i am still on pureed but last night when i made shepards pie i didnt puree it and was fine so think i may start trying this more often. ive noticed you are further on than this with me and you have had no probs....it will be so much easier not to keep pureeing things...Also lisa i worry because i stop eating because i feel 'oh dear i must have ate enought now' rather than feeling full..i havent yet had the courage to keep eating until i have that full feeling ive always been used to... I only lost 1lb last week but i lost 3lb this weekxxxx

This is just roughly what i eat in a day,
When I wake up I have a Milky coffee,
Breakfast I have 1 weetabix, or 1 slice of toast.
Dinner Maybe a yogurt or soup and then for tea, I usually have something like Shepards pie, or fish pie and Its ussually the size of Half of a weight watchers meal, Supper lol, maybe a few peanuts or and sometimes and lol 2 squares of chocolate, But it just depends on how i feel. Somedays I feel like i have eaten more than previously,but then somedays I dont think I drink as much as I should.eg: (water)

This is just roughly what i eat in a day,
When I wake up I have a Milky coffee,
Breakfast I have 1 weetabix, or 1 slice of toast.
Dinner Maybe a yogurt or soup and then for tea, I usually have something like Shepards pie, or fish pie and Its ussually the size of Half of a weight watchers meal, Supper lol, maybe a few peanuts or and sometimes and lol 2 squares of chocolate, But it just depends on how i feel. Somedays I feel like i have eaten more than previously,but then somedays I dont think I drink as much as I should.eg: (water)

oh sugar!! see what i mean i really do think im able to eat quite a lot!! i hope ive not stretched my pouch!!

I start the day with a cup of tea, then I may have a slice of toast or two ryvitas with some philly spread. For lunch I may have a small tin of soup or some stir fry. For tea if I am working it could be a ww meal (I eat most of it but cant manage it all) or some home made chilli/spag bol or something similar. I always have some fruit somewhere along the way and occasionally some cheese and crackers. I work ten hour shifts so sometimes my days can be 17-18 hours long and I never allow myself to get "starving"....I find little and often is better for my energy levels and suits my working life. I concentrate on getting in protein first, then veg and carbs are last on the list although I do get a good balance across the day. I also eat a lot of fish based meals and have drastically cut down on the amount of red meat I eat because it takes so long to chew lol...hope this helps you chick but stop worrying :copon: (I do love this smiley you may find it popping up on my posts in the most unusual places lol)...xx

Hi I am only 7 weeks post op and I am just starting to have soft foods Breakfast is Porradge I have about 6 teaspoons and then I get the rumble which I no assosssiate with been full. Dinner if Im in the house is normally home made soup of somekind and I put some grated cheese in it. Evening meal can be anything If i do a meat and veg tea I will have a bit of that. But in our house we never eat the same unless i cook a roast or a pie or fish. So I have bought this week some ready meals for my self, But I did check the fat and sugar content. And for supper I normally just grab a yogurt or a fortimel

I had a tin of tesco chicken curry split over 2 days and that went down ok

As an average i've been having a yoghurt for breakfast, then two water biscuits with low fat tuna spread or low fat cheese spread, then a small portion of whatever we have for tea.

I think I need to snack a bit more during the day to make sure i don't make myself eat til i'm full at teatime x x x

But thanks to you all for taking the time to put ur average down down in writing, its really helped, and lesley, yours sounds quite similar to some of my days so i'm sure we'll be fine, I have my appointment with the nurse and dietician on 11 march so i think i'll feel better after that.

thanks again y'all, i do feel a lot happier now x x x

As an average i've been having a yoghurt for breakfast, then two water biscuits with low fat tuna spread or low fat cheese spread, then a small portion of whatever we have for tea.

I think I need to snack a bit more during the day to make sure i don't make myself eat til i'm full at teatime x x x

But thanks to you all for taking the time to put ur average down down in writing, its really helped, and lesley, yours sounds quite similar to some of my days so i'm sure we'll be fine, I have my appointment with the nurse and dietician on 11 march so i think i'll feel better after that.

thanks for that lisa, its amazing isnt it!! the feeling we are eating to much which is exactly what we had the surgery for. i should be going back for a check up about the same time as you so hopefully we will be reasured furtherxx

Lisa - your right, you just need to eat enough to keep you going, and avoid really filling your pouch up completely,this is because your still healing inside, eventually though when you can tolerate solids you will fill the pouch and then you'll know what real restriction feels like !
I know that if i eat certain foods i'll fill my pouch up quickly, but eating others doesn't, for example i can eat shepherds pie till its coming out of my ears, but on the other hand i can only manage about half a pork chop before i feel full !

The reason you think your maybe eating to much is because your brains got used to eating less, you've done weeks on liquids and sloppy food, so now your eating something with substance you feel like your eating lots, when in fact your not actually eating that much. Your doing alright, though your still completely nuts :D

oh sugar!! see what i mean i really do think im able to eat quite a lot!! i hope ive not stretched my pouch!!

No - cant see you stretching it, your only just over a month post op, i've read it takes months and months of dedicated abuse to stretch the pouch !

No - cant see you stretching it, your only just over a month post op, i've read it takes months and months of dedicated abuse to stretch the pouch !

thanks ss, mad all this worrying, its just ive never felt that really full/restricted feeling yet, i seem to stop eating before i do...im scared of making myself illx

Hi mintball

That was really helpful seeing what people are eating and you are doing so well congratulations!! so how are you feeling in yourself?? are you able to go about normal day activities etc., ?? not sure when my op will be but getting closer lol

That was really helpful seeing what people are eating and you are doing so well congratulations!! so how are you feeling in yourself?? are you able to go about normal day activities etc., ?? not sure when my op will be but getting closer lol

hi jb, good luck with your pending op..its exciting isnt it, takes a long time to come to this decision but once you have made it you know its right...i like lisa am in my 5th week this week post op and feel great..i was up and about the day after op and i am in, out and about a lot more than i was six weeks ago, due to my newfound energy...early days and still odd worries but i do not regret this decision one iota xx

Ladies - I think most of us think at one time or another that we eat too much. It is very common during the sloppy/soft phase to feel this way as food slides down as you are eating so you have more room in your pouch, also you never really feel 'full' until you are on regular food. I am with others in the belief that several small meals helps out when you are newly post-op (less than 8 weeks) as it helps you sustain good energy levels & keeps you from over-eating. Once you are on normal food, you will feel very different when eating, there is no way you can miss the full feeling I promise. Just make sure you are listening and you may never be sick from over-eating, I haven't been and I am almost 17 weeks out so it can be done. But the ill feeling & vomiting are helpful tools to teach you how you must eat now so don't worry too much about feeling them.

Oh, daily intake is as follows:
B - Milky coffee, piece of cheese/or some yogurt, piece of fruit/or glass of juice
L - Cottage Cheese/or sliced turkey and 1-2 ryvitas
D - portion of what I make for hubby like steamed fish & veg, curry w/veg, beef stew & salad (I skip the starches like rice, pasta & potatoes most of the time)
Snack: piece of fruit & protein drink

I am completely normal now - though many would disagree. I'm 5 weeks post-op and I'm doing everything i was able to do before surgery (but a bit faster) (apart from eating - I do that slower)

Lisa - your right, you just need to eat enough to keep you going, and avoid really filling your pouch up completely,this is because your still healing inside, eventually though when you can tolerate solids you will fill the pouch and then you'll know what real restriction feels like !
I know that if i eat certain foods i'll fill my pouch up quickly, but eating others doesn't, for example i can eat shepherds pie till its coming out of my ears, but on the other hand i can only manage about half a pork chop before i feel full !

The reason you think your maybe eating to much is because your brains got used to eating less, you've done weeks on liquids and sloppy food, so now your eating something with substance you feel like your eating lots, when in fact your not actually eating that much. Your doing alright, though your still completely nuts :D

You always seem to sort my head out when I'm having a wobble.... I'd like to say we must be alike but I don't want to offend x x x x

hello everyone just been reading this thread and am 12 days away from bypass surgery and would just like to know whats the surgery like and how do you feel after?

Hiya, I think I've answered ur question above, but honestly its best thing i ever did x x x

thanks for that lisa, its amazing isnt it!! the feeling we are eating to much which is exactly what we had the surgery for. i should be going back for a check up about the same time as you so hopefully we will be reasured furtherxx

Lesley, when and where is your check-up? Mine is at Spire Manchester on March 11th

Back