• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

a day in the life of a bypasser

i am almost 6 weeks post op and on a typical day i (try) to have...

on waking...cup of tea
breakfast...half piece wholemeal toast, or half weetabix, or half shredded wheat or similar
lunch...2 crackers, spoon of coslaw (sp?), few nuts
mid afternoon...few bits of dried fruit, or mini yoghurt
tea...half a ready meal, or half tin soup or half tin beans with sausage, or half tin ravioli or similar
mid evening...few grapes and small piece cheese

have 1 or 2 drinks of either tea, water, squash etc between each 'eat'...or sometimes a 100% pure orange juice lolly.

i have tried chicken and mince (in a spag bol) a couple of times and find i cannot cope with it yet...so i am worried i am not getting enough protien, so i may have to tweek things slightly.

Lesley, when and where is your check-up? Mine is at Spire Manchester on March 11th

hi lisa, i havnt had my appointment sent yet, but i know i have to see mr ammori wk 6 so thats the same time as you..i will be at the alex though...pity we could have met upx

i'm on pureed stage and i have a yoghurt for breakfast and a cup of coffee, lunch i have half a tin of soup and dinner i have a small jar of babyfood lol so much easier that way. if i have any snacks i normally have a rusk and a small glass of milk or a small jar of pudding babyfood (they are soo good) lol

hi lisa, i havnt had my appointment sent yet, but i know i have to see mr ammori wk 6 so thats the same time as you..i will be at the alex though...pity we could have met upx

I know, that would have been good, let me know when u get ur appointment for and we can compare notes x x x

Ladies - I think most of us think at one time or another that we eat too much. It is very common during the sloppy/soft phase to feel this way as food slides down as you are eating so you have more room in your pouch, also you never really feel 'full' until you are on regular food. I am with others in the belief that several small meals helps out when you are newly post-op (less than 8 weeks) as it helps you sustain good energy levels & keeps you from over-eating. Once you are on normal food, you will feel very different when eating, there is no way you can miss the full feeling I promise. Just make sure you are listening and you may never be sick from over-eating, I haven't been and I am almost 17 weeks out so it can be done. But the ill feeling & vomiting are helpful tools to teach you how you must eat now so don't worry too much about feeling them.

I totally agree with PH here, when you get onto the advanced solid stage you need to push yourself to make sure your pouch is full, that way you wont be able or have the desire to snack between meals, and thats why having a smaller stomach works ! - but you will need to experiement and that sometimes means over doing it. Being sick isn't like really being sick, you kind of regurgitate a few mouthfulls back up until you feel more comfortable, eventually you learn what the stages of fullness feel like and learn to stop and push the plate away just as you get to that point. My fullness sensation comes in two waves, after a few mouthfulls i feel full, but this is just the food hitting the bottom of my stomach, so i stop for a minute or two and it will pass, then i'll continue eating and eventually start to feel the full feeling again, at that point i know just another small mouthfull will be enough to top me of for that meal !
But its a big learning curve, some days are easier than others and it takes time to learn how to eat again ! dont be afraid of being sick, as PH said it teaches you about restriction and how much you can consume and it also re-afirms in head that you do still have restriction !

thanks for that SS and PG, it makes sense. Ive often stopped before i feel full, just stopeed cos i thought thats what i should be eating. And then before my next meal, i'm peckish..i wouldn't say hungry but starting fretting that i even felt peckish.
I've started to realise now I need to listen to my body and stop comparing myself to others x xx

thanks for that SS and PG, it makes sense. Ive often stopped before i feel full, just stopeed cos i thought thats what i should be eating. And then before my next meal, i'm peckish..i wouldn't say hungry but starting fretting that i even felt peckish.
I've started to realise now I need to listen to my body and stop comparing myself to others x xx

Dont fret Lisa your still learning, this all takes time to master - i had fish a chips a week ago, over did it and chuked the lot up, so i'm even getting it wrong 6 months post op !
on the lighter side, at least i absorbed very little of what most would consider a bad meal :D

this is true. Do you know i felt much better today, not just mentally but i wore a top that was a bit tighter and people really noticed the difference, I'm looking forward to weighing myself on staurday cos i think there will be at least 2lb gone but do you know what, I'm not bothered if not cos i'm feeling great about things (at the moment)

Well it does vary but today so far I have had:

2 crumpets, one with marmite on and the other with peanut butter.
4 Digestive biscuits
3 Chocolate digestives
1 pkt crisps
8 Garlic crackers dipped in Tomato chutney
1 tin of "big soup"
Large handfull of peanuts
6 coffees with 2 sugars in each and semi skimmed milk
1glass of banana milk shake

4 Digestive biscuits
3 Chocolate digestives
1 pkt crisps
1 tin of "big soup"

do you not have any reactions to the sweet stuff....i haven't tried anything sweet yet apart from the sugar free jellies etc x x x

fab, thats good to know x x x

I try to concentrate on getting in at least 1000 calories a day. The trouble with living on low fat, low calorie and low sugar stuff is that the body isnt getting enough to live on healthily.

4 Digestive biscuits
3 Chocolate digestives
1 pkt crisps
1 tin of "big soup"

Dude - Fantastic diet lol :D:D;) :8855:

Hehe, nice to see someone not being afriad to put some high calorie foods in there, I worry about people having low fat foods constantly after the bypass and it makes me wonder how they manage to get in the 1000 calorie minimum a day that they should really be getting. Personally I have found pistachio nuts to be a godsend, they have loads of protien and a decent amount of fat but my body does need both and I don't intend to deprive my body of the things it needs. The only thing I am avoiding so far is sugar and that is because I tried some Oasis orange drink and it made me feel really ill for an hour. I can easily manage a couple of biscuits or 3-4 sqaures of chocolate though and I am not worried about it, I won't absorb it all anyway and even if I did it is 80 calories which is nothing in the grand scheme of things. :)

Well said, you are a wise person. We get crammed down our throats the necesity to eat low colorie, low fat and low sugar foods, bypasseres seem to forget what they have had done and how it works. Also as you say, anything under 1000 calories a day for a sustained period and your health will suffer. One of the long term issues with this operation is malnutrion and calcium defficiency.
Get those calories down your neck, be wise and sensible about it but remember you need calories to surive. A mixed balanced diet is what it is all about. I still struggle to eat now, so on a crap day I will get calories in however I can, be it chocolate or ice cream or milkshakes, there gonna go in one way or another.

Oh and to those who say this is wrong, I'm still losing weight on this plan and I bet I'm alot healthier in 5 years time than some aswell...........

Well said, you are a wise person. We get crammed down our throats the necesity to eat low colorie, low fat and low sugar foods, bypasseres seem to forget what they have had done and how it works. Also as you say, anything under 1000 calories a day for a sustained period and your health will suffer. One of the long term issues with this operation is malnutrion and calcium defficiency.
Get those calories down your neck, be wise and sensible about it but remember you need calories to surive. A mixed balanced diet is what it is all about. I still struggle to eat now, so on a crap day I will get calories in however I can, be it chocolate or ice cream or milkshakes, there gonna go in one way or another.

Oh and to those who say this is wrong, I'm still losing weight on this plan and I bet I'm alot healthier in 5 years time than some aswell...........

Well you must be doing something right, because ive just sat and worked out ur weight loss from pounds to stones, and if im right youve lost an incredible 14stones in 7-8 months?
That is fantastic. Well done.

Back