• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

a day in the life of a bypasser

OMG thats an amazing weight loss. I'm scared cos i've not tried anything sweet yet apart from the odd fruit juice. No-one has ever told me of a minmum daily calorie intake but i've not met up with the dietician as yet x x x

Well 800 calories is the absolute bare minimum you could survive on if you did absolutely nothing, 1000 is realisticly what it should be. Obviously the more excersize you do the more calories you will need.

Eating good quality foods is essential but fats and sugars are still important, remeber that fruits are full of sugar and some protiens are full of fats, our bodies need a balanced diet of everything.

The Low amount of calories i consume does worry me, but i have no idea how to increase it ATM a high fat content makes me sick, a medium to high sugar content makes me sick, so i eat sushi several times a week for the high protein and am now looking for other things, maybe i should have more then 3 meals a day, but then my fluid intake starts suffering. AHHH lol will work it out hopefully soon

TS, I'm in a similar position, i'm thinking of maybe the protein shakes?

Well I eat something probably about every 2 hours, I only have small amounts but I try to put something in regularly. I now have semi skimmed milk in my coffee/tea wher I used to have skimmed. I also have 2 sugars.
I found that fruit juices and milkshakes were great for extra calories plus you get the bonus of taking in protiens and valuable vitamins, be carefull though as these drinks are full of sugars so moderation is required.

I also havent been told what the min cal intake is I have about 300/400 a day at the mo. I havent seen the dietian yet hope I will at my next appointment but that aint till June. I am struggling at the mo to eat yogurts I just dont like them anymore. I havent tried sweet stuff as yet as the thought of dumping terrifies me. I am living on Porrage, meat( not even match box size) and veg and cheese triangles

Reading this I have just started a food diary to see what I am eating through a day

Last edited:
my daily intake usuall consists of something along these lines:-
breakfast slice of ham all fat removed and 4 cherry tomatos
lunch chicken fillet and salad
dinner 3 melba toast, home made pate(no butter),fish or cheese yogurt, fruit.
I also have a protien drink (pro shot 27grm protien) at some time throughout the day.
i have several cups of coffee and water throughout the day.
i occasionally have a sandwich of jacket potato at tea time but keep my carbs to one meal a day

WL18S - your weight loss is incredible. Congratulations. Would you be able to tell me what you are eating in a typical day please?

Eating good quality foods is essential but fats and sugars are still important, remeber that fruits are full of sugar and some protiens are full of fats, our bodies need a balanced diet of everything.

Indeed and people need to remember that fructose the sugar that forms naturally in fruit gets absorbed into the liver and doesn't go directly into the blood stream unlike refined sugars. That means fruit is absolutely fine, smoothies are another story however because you are getting 3-5 portions of fruit and that is alot of fructose going in at once. Small smoothies are fine but bypassers should really be careful around the larger portions.

The Low amount of calories i consume does worry me, but i have no idea how to increase it ATM a high fat content makes me sick, a medium to high sugar content makes me sick, so i eat sushi several times a week for the high protein and am now looking for other things, maybe i should have more then 3 meals a day, but then my fluid intake starts suffering. AHHH lol will work it out hopefully soon

Once you get your gallbladder sorted you should try a bag of pistacho nuts, they are easy to get in, loaded with good stuff and offer plenty of the calories/protien you will be needing. As the bariatric nurse told me, it doesn't really matter how you get the calories as long as you get them. The body needs at least 1000 calories a day to hold off 'starvation mode' which causes people's weight loss to plateau and can do damage to the body.

I know it is hard, I have had a rotten day myself today and didn't eat for 6 hours but I have just forced myself to have a ready meal cottage pie purely for the calories and the salt my body needs. Everyone is different but we all need to find a way of getting that 1000 calories a day for the good of our long term health.

I have had 670 cals to day that includes a pint of semi skimmed milk that I havent finished yet

Back