• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

AAggghhh - Useless Doctor!!

*mcd*

Hi Everyone,

I didn't really know where to post this, so I hope its ok in this forum.

I have been a life-long big girl, who Just wants to be normal !! After spending hours/days researching possible surgery. . . . I finally built up the courage to see my doctor.
We spoke about what she could do to help - drugs, groups, dietians etc. But she convnced me they prob wouldn't work - all been tried before!!

She mentioned WLS but said that she could not refer me because although my BMI is 42 I have no illnesses connected to my weight!!! I'm gutted Its really affecting my - home, work and social life!! I got a bit upset and now shes referring me to the mental health nurse so I can talk to someone about how I feel. I just wanted to shout . . . "I'm fat NOT mental!!!" But instead I walked out feeling I had not been helped at all.

I'm just wondering if anyone else had this hurdle to contend with?
I live in East Sussex, does that affect my chances of getting refered?
Has anyone had WLS on health insurance? which one?

OMG - such a long post with so many many questions. SORRY

x x x

I think you'll find that the BMI for East Sussex is 40. Check out the PCT criteria and go back and ask to be referred. Welcome to the site by the way, whereabouts are you? I am Eastbourne

Hi and welcome to the site, sorry to read about your problem...i dont know much about it all but i hope you can sort something out x

DaisyMaesy I'm from Eastbourne - Old Town.

I had read the PCT outline and sure it said BMI 40. I should have really pushed for being referred but she was adament she could not refer me. Maybe I'll try another doctor. Where abouts in Eastbourne are you? was it difficult to get yourself referred?

It was my doctor's idea, not mine, never even thought about it really until it was suggested to me. I'm in Hampden Park. Sounds like you need tp print off the criteria, and any supporting info you can get and get back to the GP sharpish before they really do change the goalposts! Our PCT has not been funding this for long so the GPs don't seem to know much about it.
Met another lady from Eastbourne last week, she had GP problems but she has now been referred.

Hi and welcome, you stick in there, go back and if needs be see a different doctor ,, don't give up on yourself just because of this hurdle, you can do it.
lol.

I really feel for you xxx

It's a common problem with some GP's... as soon as you feel emotional or upset about something... it becomes a mental health problem.

You have every right to feel upset... at the end of the day... if you feel like me being trapped in a body that you are unable to successfully change yourself, it's a drastic step to be reaching for surgery and certainly not the easiest option....

The criteria in my opinion leaves much to be desired since if like me, you are unable to achieve help... either through the NHS or privately, you'll end up like me with co-morbidities and with major health related issues... I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

If I were you, I'd keep going back and even though you may or may not benefit from other interventions... your weight is the fundamental problem by the sound of it and feeling low is likely to increase your weight further...

It's very true to say that many of our journeys have been very similar and equally as turbulent, plus the tightening of financial boundaries is now making it more difficult, but keep revisiting your GP and making a stand... weight can be affecting so many issues including isolation, depression, low self esteem, etc etc... I'd keep on flagging up every reason why the door should not be firmly closed in your face...

In an ideal world... just opting for private surgery can seem to be the answer... but in my case... I'm very pleased to have taken a longer view and to have reflected and explored most avenues pre surgery... for me it has really helped... so I'd take a step back for a minute... prepare yourself for a long haul, but feel a determination that one way or another there is something better out there to help you and keep going for it!

Please keep in touch since many of us have also been in this situation and a great many people are turned away at early hurdles... so stick with it.

Sending you a humungous hug and lots of love xxx

Hi,

I totally understand where your coming from, my gp was the same and it took a couple of times to convince her to refer me but luckly my records show how much i've tried in the past to lose weight.
In the end i went in there and told her quite bluntly that if i was drug addict she could give me something to help, if i wanted to stop smoking she could give me patches etc so why can't she give me something to stop/help my food addiction!!
I echo everyone else's advice and say is get as much local info and stick to your guns!
Good luck
Vicky x

Thanks for all your support and advice, I wont give up - I can't!!
As soon as I get my courage up for another visit to doctors I'll go in with all guns blazing :)
Thanks Again x x x

Go for it and stay determined!

Hope you are starting to feel better.

Love and hugs xxx

hun..I would ring for another G.P appointment tomorrow..
Don't let this one doctor knock you off course...
get the facts in your hand..
print out your areas p.c.t guidelines.
write a letter outlining all you previous attempts of weight loss.
I think its vron who has a letter on here.
Ask what the protocol is on getting appointments with your local obesity clinics(bariatric centers) are..
some require funding in place first..others want you to attend weight management courses..its a minefield lol!!

Alot of G.Ps are puzzled as to how to go about applying for WLS..this is where you need to know your stuff so you don't get fobbed of by the G.Ps

My G.p was(and still is) very unsupportive of WLS.
I had fight hard to get funding..but don't give up hun...you will get there if you tick the right boxes and go through the hoops.
:cool:
x x x

Last edited:
A lot of us have felt very much the way you are feeling now, so keep tuning in, there's usually someone around and hang onto us, we hang onto each other and it makes one heck of a difference... good luck and keep positive! Love and hugs xxx

Don't give up and don't be fobbed off.

The first GP that I spoke to at my practice fobbed me off, not based on criteria but his own belief about WLS. I accepted what he was saying and all it did was slow down the whole process for me because I still came back to the desire /need for WLS.

Can you see another doctor within your practice or write to the PCT yourself and refer yourself, then if they turn you down you can appeal and get supporting info from your GP.

Don't give up, unfortunatley this is one of those things that some of us have to fight for.

Hi McD
I'm also from Eastbourne. I first approached my GP for help 10 YEARS AGO!!! At 27 he thought it was my age and genes affecting my weight loss, next plucked up courage to revisit him years later and he sent me to Self Esteem counselling - like you I thought "I'm fat NOT mental!", after that I got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and happened to mention my previous wish for WLS to Diabetic Doctor, she was fully supportive and told me to approach him (my GP) and TELL HIM (not ask) to refer me and for me to go in with printed out info for him stating previous losses / gains for past year, weight at moment, what surgery I wanted and why. I did this and he initially fobbed me off with a prescription for Xenical ON THE UNDERSTANDING he would refer me IF these didn't help. They didn't so I went down the very day of last Xenical tablet to insist again AND YES!! He agreed to refer me. SO 10 years from initial plea I got to where I am now. I have been accepted for funding (my GP initially sent forms direct to Chichester Hospital - DOH!!! and they sent them back as they need funding approved before seeing patients! so he sent them properly to PCT) - this was my GPs first ever referral so a bit like blind leading the blind! LOL
Now I am seeing Chichester Hospital on Feb 4th to meet surgeons, nurse, dietician and psychologist and get the final OK then hopefully I'll be added to waiting list - woohoo!
Hang on in there - take your printed research etc and try one last time with your own GP (I found others didn't want to tread on mines toes!!) but tell her IF she still declines as you fit NICE criteria for Sussex (40+ BMI) you WILL go elsewhere, don't make my mistake and put it off for some years first. Strike while your iron is hot!
We're here for you!

Jill

Wow Jill feb 4, not long now, thanks for posting I feel a possible Eastbourne get together coming on LOL

Hi and welcome to the forum. You've had some great advice already so I won't say much more...except, don't put off.
As others have said, print off the criteria and take it to your GPs. Make an appointment asap to see your doctor and insist on a referral. The criteria are changing all the time as money gets tighter, so you need to move quickly whilst the criteria are relatively easy to meet for your area.
Some areas now won't fund unless your BMI is 50 or even 60!
Best wishes
Grace xxx

Back