• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

ALL you EVER wanted to know about the bypass

Thanks Sue, Have bookmarked that for later xx

Thanks for the pointer, will read it during my lunch break.
I went for my first pre assessment on Friday (3rd April)at the Manor, its becoming a reality now and I must admit to feeling a little scared.
The nursing staff were loveley (especially Kerry), they really put me at my ease. Just got to see the anaesthetist now on the 28th April and as long as all is well then, I should be in either end of May/beginning of June.
This new website will really help - thanks a lot

Thanks for the pointer, will read it during my lunch break.
I went for my first pre assessment on Friday (3rd April)at the Manor, its becoming a reality now and I must admit to feeling a little scared.
The nursing staff were loveley (especially Kerry), they really put me at my ease. Just got to see the anaesthetist now on
the 28th April and as long as all is well then, I should be in either end of May/beginning of June.
This new website will really help - thanks a lot

Hi, Kazzie,
I've got my first pre-assessment next week. Can you tell me what to expect, please?

Hello Weightloss Wannabee, All I can say is they were great with me!
Kerry, the pre assessment nurse I saw was very down to earth, local Walsall girl, and we chatted about everyday stuff like kids, husbands and being fat!
She wanted her GP to refer her for GBP but he wouldn't because she lives in walsall! I felt so sorry for her.
So... first of all the lovely NA checks your height, weight, BP and carries out tests for MRSA (cotton bud just at the entrance to your nose and in left and right groin area - nice job hey?). Then she does a heart trace (ecg).
You then go to see the pre assessment nurse for pages of health related questions. I dont have any other health probs other than menopause for which I am self medicating with natural medicines so all of my answers were no - which was great!
She couldn't take my bloods cuz I am a 'naughty bleeder' and she couldn't access my veins, so she gave me forms to have that done in the path lab on the way out.
Then I went to have my lung function test, just down the corridor. Nothing to worry about, just have to blow into a machine that charts your lung function. This is to ensure your lungs are fit for the surgery to stop pneumonia etc.
All was good - I stopped smoking about 20 years ago.
Took these results back to the easibook suite then went along to the path lab to get my bloods done. Took loads, about 4 vials. Need to cross check in case you need a transfusion during surgery. No probs though, very nice staff and didn't hurt putting the needle in.
Then off back to work!

I have an appt to see anaesthetist on 28th April and then a provisional date of end of May or 9th June depending on Mr Khans annual leave.

I have to have open surgery as I have a gall bladder removal scar down my stomach, so I will probably be in about 3/4 days. If the ward staff are half as nice as the clinic staff I wont mind at all.

Good luck chuck, let me know how you get on.

Watch out for the road works in Walsall, what a flippin nightmare! Allow a little extra time to get there.
x

Hello Weightloss Wannabee, All I can say is they were great with me!
Kerry, the pre assessment nurse I saw was very down to earth, local Walsall girl, and we chatted about everyday stuff like kids, husbands and being fat!
She wanted her GP to refer her for GBP but he wouldn't because she lives in walsall! I felt so sorry for her.
So... first of all the lovely NA checks your height, weight, BP and carries out tests for MRSA (cotton bud just at the entrance to your nose and in left and right groin area - nice job hey?). Then she does a heart trace (ecg).
You then go to see the pre assessment nurse for pages of health related questions. I dont have any other health probs other than menopause for which I am self medicating with natural medicines so all of my answers were no - which was great!
She couldn't take my bloods cuz I am a 'naughty bleeder' and she couldn't access my veins, so she gave me forms to have that done in the path lab on the way out.
Then I went to have my lung function test, just down the corridor. Nothing to worry about, just have to blow into a machine that charts your lung function. This is to ensure your lungs are fit for the surgery to stop pneumonia etc.
All was good - I stopped smoking about 20 years ago.
Took these results back to the easibook suite then went along to the path lab to get my bloods done. Took loads, about 4 vials. Need to cross check in case you need a transfusion during surgery. No probs though, very nice staff and didn't hurt putting the needle in.
Then off back to work!

I have an appt to see anaesthetist on 28th April and then a provisional date of end of May or 9th June depending on Mr Khans annual leave.

I have to have open surgery as I have a gall bladder removal scar down my stomach, so I will probably be in about 3/4 days. If the ward staff are half as nice as the clinic staff I wont mind at all.

Good luck chuck, let me know how you get on.

Watch out for the road works in Walsall, what a flippin nightmare! Allow a little extra time to get there.
x

Brilliant info, Kazzi 1, Thanks.
Would ANY abdo surgery prevent you from having keyhole surgery, do you know?
Thanks,

Not sure, apparently its the fact that the scar I have is in exactly the same place that they need to make an entry for this surgery. i.e about 2 inches below my bust diagnolly about 4 inches long.

I do know some surgeons do not like going in where others have already gone before this is why i have opted to go all the way to the other side of london for my gallbladder removal, so the same surgeon can go in via keyhole again rather than open at northwick park

thanks

Back