• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The truth and all you need to know about the bypass

Lol a general is much better, you get to sleep through the whole thing :) The people putting the drip in for the anaesthetic are used to nerves, and are really good at keeping you calm.

It was the neck thing that freaked me out too ;)

I am feeling great, My scars are very small and healing nicely, still a little sore but ive not had pain relief for nearly a week now, the whole thing couldn't have gone better i don't think.

Went into hospital (Nuffield Leeds via The Hospital Group) on 29th March - First they took my Blood Pressure and Temp as a base line to work on while i'm in hospital, then they flushed me out with laxatives, (first dose 5pm second dose 8pm) that evening/night was spent in and out of the bathroom until about half past midnight, it wasn't painful so don't worry, those who are waiting for their surgery. I was given an injection before bed to thin my blood to prevent blood clots and my very attactive gown and socks were given ready for the next day and i was told that my op was the first at 2pm ish.
I was awake most of the night thinking the worst, as we all do, *was that the last i'll ever see of my little boys* *am i going to die* I now know what a wasted nights sleep that was, trust me its nothing to worry about at all, this surgery to the surgeon is like a weekly shop to us, or like plumbing to a plumber, Easy peasy!

Woke up after 2 hours sleep, had my antiseptic shower wash got into my GORGEOUS gown and sexy sock!
my mum and brother turned up, what a laugh that was, i was nearly wetting myself laughing at my brother cracking jokes and his Lee Evans impressions, i totally forgot about everything until the anethetist came to fetch me for surgery, they were early it was just gone 1:15pm and 10 mins later i was asleep.
It was fab, they attached me to all the machines, stuck canula's in my hand and injected me, i felt drunk, it was amazing, hehe! then ZONKED OUT ASLEEP!
Woke up in CCU (critical care unit) looked at clock it said 5:15pm more sleep than night before, only thing i was concerned about was how my son went at the dentist, he had to have a tooth taken out, apparently he wasn't impressed, oh dear!
I wasn't in any pain at all, morphine is bloody marvellous stuff. I did get a bit of grit in my eye tho, and OMG it was agony, my eye kept me awake all night, everyone around me groaning and sore about their sugeries and i was groaning about my eye, LOL!
After a few hours kip, i was awake dying for a wee, called the nurse, she got me up, felt a little dizzy at first but thats normal. Was soon taken off all the drips tho but suprisingly not much pain, the paracetamol liquid they were giving me did the trick.
Was told i could go back to the ward at 11am, so they bathed me and got me changed into my nightie and dressing gown and slippers and i was up and slowly strolling around CCU until i was taken back to the ward.

Its the best thing i have ever done and wonder why i didn't do it sooner?

Hi everyone i am new on here... I went to my doctors on thursday and was told i was able to recieve funding for a gastric band. I was asked to choose a hospital which i got the choice of Birmingham Heartlands NHS Foundation trust to see Mr P Super Consultant Surgeon or Luton and Dunstable Hospital to see Louise Young Obesity Services Manager. I live in Kettering in Northamptonshire so there both about the same distance from me but i have been told that the MRSA rate is quite high in Luton and Dunstable. Can anyone give me any advice on which hospital to choose? I have to ring my doctor on Tuesday to let her know which one i choose to go too. I asked my doctor how long the process would take from this stage to actual operation date and she informed me that it would be within 4 months, does this sound right to anyone?

I have been reading so much about gastric banding and gastric bypass, and have also read that the surgeon will ask you to fill in a questionaire and they will advise you on which one would be more suitable for you, is this also right?

I am sorry to ask so many questions but i am a gastric virgin and you all seem very experienced at it lol, oh another thing i was told was that i may be asked to lose a stone in weight before having the operation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And well done to everyone who is post op and is getting on well, i am hoping i can join you on this journey of weight loss very very soon X

Hi everyone i am new on here... I went to my doctors on thursday and was told i was able to recieve funding for a gastric band. I was asked to choose a hospital which i got the choice of Birmingham Heartlands NHS Foundation trust to see Mr P Super Consultant Surgeon or Luton and Dunstable Hospital to see Louise Young Obesity Services Manager. I live in Kettering in Northamptonshire so there both about the same distance from me but i have been told that the MRSA rate is quite high in Luton and Dunstable. Can anyone give me any advice on which hospital to choose? I have to ring my doctor on Tuesday to let her know which one i choose to go too. I asked my doctor how long the process would take from this stage to actual operation date and she informed me that it would be within 4 months, does this sound right to anyone?

I have been reading so much about gastric banding and gastric bypass, and have also read that the surgeon will ask you to fill in a questionaire and they will advise you on which one would be more suitable for you, is this also right?

I am sorry to ask so many questions but i am a gastric virgin and you all seem very experienced at it lol, oh another thing i was told was that i may be asked to lose a stone in weight before having the operation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And well done to everyone who is post op and is getting on well, i am hoping i can join you on this journey of weight loss very very soon X

Hi Claire, welcome to the forum :)
Don't worry you will get all the advice on here you need, people are great.....

I can't help you with the band as ive just had my bypass but I had mine done in Walsall by Mr Khan who is a great man.
Mr Super is very good in Birmingham someone I know had a band done by him and has lost 13 stone.......

Usual waiting time for Walsall is about 4-5 months but it depends on where you go. Some consultants don't have that much and others have more.

You do get asked a lot of questions about food etc and they decide what operation would suit you best but at the end of the day its got to be what you want to so remember that !

All surgeons have different rules for surgery but you have to go on a very strict diet for two weeks before surger and I lost 13lbs on it so don't worry about the stone loss but its like Tesco........every bit helps!!

You can google the surgeons and go on the BOSPA website and find out more on there but as for experience then you have found the right place!

Hope this bit helps you but im sure other people will add to this to help you out also..........

Thank you so much snow angel for the advice, i just feel in a whirlwind at the moment,excited at the prospect of being a new person, but there's just so much to take in and read up on but i am slowly ploughing through everything, i guess i just have to wait for an appointment to come through and go and see what he has to say,i shall go armed with questions and take my sister with me so she can write everything down for me so i dont forget lol, thanks again for your help and i shall let you know how things go.

Claire x

Hi guys, I have a question which may sound a bit odd (like me!) but the answer would be good to know:
When you have a bypass and you have a cathetar, do you 'lose' the message the brain sends you that you need a wee? I'm not sure I could 'voluntarily' wee without being sat on the toilet. Thanks. Julie

You don't need to worry - the cathetar does all the work for you. You just need to know someone will empty it when it gets too full.

Hi Claire, I am in the same boat as you. My first appointment is at Salford Royal 13th may (tomoz) at 10.00am with a Doctor New, I have recently had all my Bloods done plus I have a copy of the results just in case they have gone astray L.O.L and I have to take a urine sample with me. I also have a sleep study booked for next Tuesday thats the 19th May which I stay overnight on a ward. But if anyone out there knows roughly how long my op will be after all of this I would be realy grateful. Gail-Michelle:p.

Great insight to what to expect. I'm very nervous now not long to go only 10 DAYS till my op and i am so nervous, infact even more nervous now after reading about drains and things. I was not told any of this in my pre-op assesment.

Hiya, i had my op in jan at chelsea and westminster.... Can honestly say the consultant who did the op is absolutely wonderful, really understanding and caring.... and the aftercare on the ward was wonderful too, but as for those things they put on ya legs, well its a horrid sensation ive gotta admit and i actually asked to have them taken off after the first day and they gave me normal stockings to wear after.... apart from that i really dont remember much, was too high on morphine to care hehe. And 5 months after having op ive lost 50% of excess bodyfat.... so couldnt be more thrilled.

hi im having the op soon not had my date yet but had my fat bloods done so hopefully it will soon reading your post makes me think what am i worried about lol, it was nice to hear its not too bad as i keep getting myself in a state thinkin if im makin the right decision , what if i die, what will happen to my kids ect , but im feeling now what am i worried about thanks hun x
siana

hi if you get time please reply on how you were and you were out in 2 days

Now I am 6 weeks post op, had a gastric bypass at York Hospital on 30th April 2009..
I had open surgery as they did the gallbladder removal and hernia fix.

I was 4 days in hospital...they said expect 7 days but I had it in my mind to be home as soon as I could.
Day of op I was first on list and was 6 and half hours long..
I was then brought back to HDU yes drain from my 12 inch opening it was longer as my hernia was bigger than expected.
Morphine on demand by a button as epidural was not sighted too painful...Day 1...sleep...morphine and they did xray to check for leaks....Drain out day 2....caphitar out day 2 as I was next to loo and wanted to do it on my own...dragging morphine drip with me...On liquids and soup....Day 3 asked to go on normal ward because I was in a mixed bay and wanted to feel better....folk around me were really ill...on puree...York dont mess about they get you on to foods quite soon...off morphine onto codein
Day 4 ...asked if I wanted to go home and just have district nurses visit with contact number...I was thrilled

Day 5 wished I had not come home so early felt uncomfortable but glad to be home with family...

Day 7 stiches out....but infection in staples....then from day 7 to 14 nurses came to check me every other day and staples out then cut opened at top with infection so antibiotics and dressings checked daily by day 21 all healed....

mobile about the house but not up for walking more than 3/4 of an hour twice a day...with my dog...lucky I work from home.....

my delays have been due to open surgery and other bits done at same time....weight loss is great...eating...well chewing food now and slowly introducing foods....

Not had any dumping or sickness ...YET....

Hope this helps...I see loads having keyhole and quick recovery..lucky people....my open surgery was rather complicated but I SEE THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL......

I have no regrets...just so excitted to see the weight go and my new life begin...

Its not easy....but worth it.........

Juni

hi gail i saw dr new on dec 18th i had my slepstudy before that . you do not stay in you take machine home and take it back morning after . i saw mr ammorie in feb and had all my pre ops same day ,week after i saw the anestatist and now im still wating to see phsycologist and to get my date. its been a lot longer than i expected as i was told id have it done about easter. i dont know if any one else as been wating this long but mr ammories secratery says ther are people on list who have been wating longer so dont hold your breath lol maybee theres just been a glitch and things will start moving quiker, best of luck

Thank You

Thank you for your honest info into gastric surgery. I am going to see my surgeon Tues 7th for consult and find out hopefully when my surgery date is. I am nervous but also impatient. Since I made up my mind to go for it I have been throwing my dummy out of pram cause I want it now. I have heard that some people go through a phase of depression and lack of appetite. Did you find any of this happening to you? How do you deal with it?
Congrattulations and thank you for your post. Makes me feel a lot better reading it.
Jellybaby xx:)

Hi Juni

I'm also going into York for a bypass so would love some more info on your experience. Did you agree to the gallbladder/hernia fix before theatre or did they discover it when you were under? Also, you mention an epidural - was this an option for pain med? I'm dreading the pain the most!! Any info on York that you can give me would be great! x x

Just wanted to say thanks for the info - can I ask - I have read about a barium swallow on day 2 then the x-ray to check for leaks - but nobody mentions this - isn't this the case - I have to admit, this is the bit I worry about most after dying!!!!

Hi Dell

I had the barium swallow, and its nothing to worry about hun...

Basically you stand in front of an x ray machine and take a sip of drink (its not the most pleasant drink ever but its only one mouthful). Then you continue to stand there for about 5 mins while they watch it go through on the x-ray.

Not all hospitals do this as some surgeons carry out a swallow test whilst you are still under anaesthetic. Either way, its important that you are tested for leaks before you are allowed to go home so that you are kept safe.

Hope that helps xx

That's very reassuring thank you! I read one tale of someone having to drink a whole cupful of the stuff, which I believe tastes of aniseed as is one of the rare things that makes me gag LOL!!
xx

Back