• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The truth and all you need to know about the bypass

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I had to drink a whole cup of it, and yes it was aniseed, and like you, I can't stand the taste! I nearly brought it straight back up a few times, but they made it very clear that if I did I would have to have another cupful :eek:

Oh Shelbel, I wonder if it was your story I read, months and months ago? That really fills me with fear, which having gone through what I will have to get to that stage, sounds ridiculous, doesn't it LOL!!
Lets hope I have a surgeon who checks while I am under xxx

Quite possibly, my surgery was over a year ago now so my story has been on here a long time! I dreaded it, but like with all things, I coped, because essentially we are all capable of a lot more than we give ourselves credit for!

I had mine done at Manchester, Hope hospital(salford royal)
I arrived at 7am as requested.Filled in some forms and was shown to a cubicle, where A nurse gave me a gown and measured me up for some of those stockings to prevent blood clots.then she put the stockings on me. I was given an ant acid tablet and met the anethatist and a trainee also the surgeon and the surgeons assistant.We went over the operation discussed the operation went over medical history again.
I was then asked to walk down to theatre at 8.30am and was met there by the anethatist and his team.
He connected me up to heart monitors etc as I lay down,everyone was friendly and I felt at ease. I was talking with them as the inserted the canular in my hand and then I remember looking at the clock and it was 9AM The next thing I remember was the nurse saying Deborah you need to wake up now, damn I felt tired lol has I hadn't slept much for 3 nights before with having anxiety.
I woke up and I had A morphine driver connected to my canular and also a drip. I didn't feel pain as such just felt bloated.I pressed the morphine 4 times in all and as it wore of I really didn't need it at all I wasn't in any major pain just a little uncomfortable but bearable. I had a dry mouth and they allowed me to have tiny sips of water no more than 60 mls an hour they stated.
I also wore contro flo boots I like them massaging my legs lol
I returned onto the main ward at 12 midday and was drowsy and slept till 2oclock then when I woke felt
great considering I'd just had major surgery, I got out of bed and sat on commode and a little later managed to walk to bathroom, a little uncomfortable but bearable.
I felt the gas In my chest and belly but it does start to ease off quite quickly.
The following day I had the drip and morphine driver removed and the controflow boots.I saw the Dr who worked along side Mr Ammori who explained my operation was completed in just under an hour.. everything went well no complications ;o) great news I said.
He said your managing fluids ok? and going to the toilet? and of pain relief? Yes I answered. He said in that case aslong as I can tolerate some clear soup and a coffee he was happy for me to go home in the afternoon.
Great stuff !!!
I managed the soup and the coffee ;o)
Later was discharged with medical notes and precription for my G.P along with some fast tabs ant acid tablets which take one in morning and one at night,
5days suppy of heprin injections to stop blood clotting.
I have to say after about 3 days of rest and good sleep I felt fab, I am now 10 days post op and still feel great I have seen my Gp and also removed my dressings and scars are minimal no stitches in sight ;o)
Hope this helps ;o)

Oh and I'd like to add the surgeon does the dye test whilst your in theatre making sure all is well before you go back on the ward. So you don't have to have that when you wake up.;o)

Hi there, yer the sexy sox are a bit of a nightmare and make sure you wear slippers with them and dont walk bare foot, otherwise you end up on your bum like me, 13 hrs post op, not good!! xxx

Thanks for posting your experience Debbie, my turn comes round on Saturday and I like to read what to expect so as to avoid any unpleasant surprises!! :eek::D Looking forward to following your weightloss story.

Cuppa xx

I didn't have a Barium drink - they checked everything while I was under.

Had a catheter which was horrible - and got a blockage in it so felt quite sore as they were trying to fill me up with liquids to get everything working and in fact it was not draining out my bladder - ouch! that was more unpleasant than coming out of the surgery!

Does anyone have any experiences at Spire Parkway in Solihull? Most of the posts show a minimum of 2 nights stay in hospital but my admission letter says only one night and that discharge is always by 11am the second day... does this sound right?

thanks
my date is december 21st 2010
cant wait
your post has been very helpful
x june

thanks everyone who has written their stories here, its really helped me .. im on the waiting to list to have gastric bypass at kings college in london should be sometime in the next 6 months... i cant wait for my new life to begin!!

i've just read this thread from the start .......absolutely brilliant ! very informative and helpful .........

thanks to everyone who has contributed as it has helped me understand a few things and what to expect

Hi all
(As added info please look at my signiture for some very nice meal ideas for post 6-8 weeks bypass / banding . 1 for veggies 1 for meat eater)

I said i would write this just to help some understand the operation etc.

After getting the operation date etc you ready bags packed .

Day 1 you goto hospital you get shown your bed asked a few questions Ob's are taken and then your left alone afte rletting you know roughly when your operation will be.

Day 2 Operation day , Thisis the part where everybody has got the jitters. " Thinking everybody says i could die there is such a high death rate" WRONG everybody has a risk no matter what operation they have be it appendix tonsils anything. The doctors just need to tell you that there is risk becuase its law. Did you know there is more chance of dying from being hit on th ehead by a coconut on holiday, then dying from a gastric bypass. My doctor told me in all the years he had worked doing these operations he has NEVER lost a patient. SO dont worry you will wake up ( BUT MAD) ill get to this next.
You get on the operating table and you feel a little like a turkey being stuffed ready for cooking. but its soon over and they put you to sleep.
Now you wake up jebus mother of fish i was in a bad mood my tummy hurt and i was screaming GIVE ME DRUGS. sorry im a pussy cat. But i got to my bed and they gave me morphine and i was happy as larry.
After the op you goto 1 on 1 nursing they sit next to you helping you with everything you ask, Its fantasic. if you have pain tell them . They will sort it out.

Day 3 if you unlucky like me they take you off your morphine drip and then ask you to sit in the bed side chair and wait for a nurse to come see you and help clear your lungs out. It no big job sit there for a while get it done and get back in bed. dont forget . Got Pain tell them. When they get a bed free you will be moved to a open ward no problem they wheel you there.

Day 4 pain has gone but you cant lay on your sides but you have a electric bed to get sorted ask for more pillows. At this point try to start walking. And drink Sip sip walk walk allday as much as you can. goto the toilet as much as you can. this will only benefit you.
You will get a build up of gas plus the gas they fill you with it needs to all go.

Day 5 if you have been good walked about sipped water been toilet you can go home. The drive hom eis lovely it moves your tummy and get some wind loose . dont worry who is next to you in the car . LET IT OUT.
WHen you get home make sure you top up with pain killers the codeine they give you is fantasic make sure you take it at night as it stop andtummy cramps as a side effect.

Day 6 your sailing now maybe your in pain maybe a little sick ,just take it easy keep taking pain killers and your nearly there.

day 7 This is the last day of the week Dread many call it that because your tired weak mayeb some pain. but dont ask me what it is but that 7th day it all goes like magic.
Catch up with the sleep you may have lost. and then follow your diet to the letter.

And enjoy your new life

I would just like to add If anyone has any questions please please ask the more you know the better. Please mail me or Private message me no matter what time of day or night ill be only to glad to help

And please excuse my grammer etc my mind works faster then my fat fingers :p

Love the above x

I'm just wondering, how long were you all off work for?
I am a carer and wonder how long I might need to be off work for? I'm self employed so need to budget for loss of earnings etc

Back