• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Almost at target but...

Hey everyone. I'm a stones throw away from my target of 12 stone and my bmi puts me in to the heathy category now, only just!

Naturally I'm very happy but when I look at myself in the mirror, I still think I look fat. I still see my horrible belly and in my opinion, it's not as flat as I want it to be. With clothes on, I look great but without clothes, I still see myself as being fat. I don't know if my weight issues is making me see a distorted image of myself.

I'm considering revising my target weight to 11 stone, which will put my bmi at the lower end (22) of heathy as apposed to the higher end (24.8 ) where it is now. Should I stick with 12 stone or go as low as possible whilst keeping my bmi in the heathy range? Opinions please.

Thanks!

If you're not happy then yes revise it, why would you stick with a body you don't want when you can have the body you desire? Hardly like we are talking turning you into a stick thin size 6 model isn't it...now thatd be different!! X

As Jo says revise your target if you feel you need to for yourself, if on the way to the new lower target you feel, actually I'm ok with this now then revise it again. However our body image isn't going to be the best there is only do much exercise can manage to tone, so we will all have to accept that things may never be perfect even with plastic surgery, we need to take time to let our heads adjust to the changes & accept what we've achieved & what we can't change which I think is harder than losing the weight. We also need to have a care when setting targets for ourselves weight or bmi not to become obsessed with a specific number, we have to be careful not to swap an obsession with food & our excess weight for one of low weight & body image, it's all to easy to go to far in anything we have worked so hard to achieve. I was told at my 1yr post op check up that if I never reached a healthy bmi & weight the hospital wouldn't be worried as I had achieved so much to date a huge 93% loss of my total excess weight, I'm still in the overweight range within a stone of a healthy bmi & weight & 2stone from the target I set myself which is midway in the healthy weight to height range for me. Yes I can exercise & tone more to work towards either or both targets but I've also accepted that without surgery I may never reach that lower target. Despite wearing a bikini on holiday the belly still wobbles as do the thighs & bingo wings so the body image isn't great, not helped by hubby insisting when I said I wanted him to take a photo of me in said bikini's to prove I had worn one that my belly hid the bottoms do it was better to take it of me sunbathing rather than standing. He didn't mean it to hurt but it did pushing me more towards the thought of saving for surgery in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I'm nearly 3 years post op and still think I look fat - my problem is excess skin though, I have at least 2 stone of it, so I'm never gonna reach my ideal BMI.

You need to take things like this into consideration.

In my opinion our heads never catch up with our bodies and us ex fatties will always see that fat person. I still check chairs before I sit in them to make sure I'll fit !

I wouldn't suggest you lower your target, remember also these BMI charts are only a guide, your health and well being is more important than reaching a target on a chart.

Loose too much weight and you'll then get comments on how ill you look etc. etc. etc.....

We really can't win.

Hi

Well done on your fantastic weight loss! I think you need to give your mind some time to catch up with your body ;)

Are you exercising?, that could help you tone up a bit. As to whether you should lose more weight, depends on your build etc but ultimatley how you feel about yourself.

I know I'm a woman but we are the same height and I weigh around 12 stone too (up and down a few pounds now and again lol). Whilst I would love to be 11 stone or lower even, I know from past experience that I would start to look gaunt. I was always very thin, being as low as 8 1/2 stone throughout my twenties, I think I look much better around my current weight though :D

Sometimes we have to look at it a different way,forget numbers ie height,weight,bmi and concentrate on health and happiness.I personally think you would be too light at bmi of 22.Toning and some weights might be the way to go and getting well fitted clothes,good haircut etc to boost your confidence.Best of luck whatever you decide.Maz x

Back