• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anti-inflammatories

wannabeminime

Hi all:),

Please can anyone tell me if anti-inflammatories are banned after all WLS, or are there some surgeries where they are still allowed?

I take diclofenac (sp) because of arthritis. It isnt good to take them post bypass because of concerns about stomach ulcers but my surgeon said that I could take them as the anti ulcer medication we all take would be sufficient to prevent the diclofenac having an adverse effect.
Lynne x

My team took all my Diclofenac off me in hospital and insisted that if my arthritis continued to flare up I would just have to use codeine based pain killers.

Thanks ladies, so there is a big difference there!!:eek: If and when i have surgery, i want to still be able to take anti-inflams, as and when required.

To be fair, since I stopped taking them a month ago, my pain hasn't been that bad, and other than soluble paracetamol for a couple of days after my surgery, I've had no painkillers at all.

The only post bypass op advice I have ever had/heard from anyone connected with the medical profession is that NSAIDs (None steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) are to be avoided. Even the patches that go on the skin are dangerous.

Lasoprazole does simply not give enough protection against these erosive corrosive chemicals. Just google these things and you'd not want to risk them post op. If they can be so damaging to a full size stomach lord alone knows the damage they could do to a pouch.

I was in so much pain with my knees post op at one point that I begged my GP for Voltarol, I said if I didn't get them I'd kill myself the pain was so bad, :cry: he said Karl if I give you them it will be me killing you :D I even went back to see another GP at the medical center to see if they would let me have them, and they said sorry after a bypass we will not prescribe them. Do the research, pain can be managed, a hole in your pouch can't

I guess it doesn't apply to banders as they still have a full sized bag, and I have no idea if it would affect sleevers, but if you have a bypass then NSAIDs really are out of the question

I take diclofenac (sp) because of arthritis. It isnt good to take them post bypass because of concerns about stomach ulcers but my surgeon said that I could take them as the anti ulcer medication we all take would be sufficient to prevent the diclofenac having an adverse effect.
Lynne x

I had heard that NSAIDs were a no- no but have not realised that everyone takes an anti ulcer medication. What is is, do all surgeons require us to take them and is it for a short time or forever?

I'm on lansoprazole for the ulcers, seem to be the common one. Only on it for a month x

A month I can cope with ! I'm trying to get off meds and not keen on replacing them with new ones lol

Good point well made!! As is the common theme on here all are told different some are on them for longer, some slightly shorter if at all!

Xx

This has really scared the pants off me! :eek: I have been taking diclofenic for years - 3 times a day for arthritis and life-long spinal problems...on top of 3 lots of codeine based painkillers. And I certainly can't do without them! If there are any sleevers out there who still take anti-inflams, (or who have been given an alternative which works the same) then please post on here!
I have my first sleeve consultation in a couple of days time and will now be discussing this in detail with the surgeon....but surely there must be a vast amount of WLS candidates who already suffer with arthritis before their surgery - there must be some alternative meds available for afterwards, surely? They can't just expect you to suddenly 'cope' with arthritis pain, on top of recovering from surgery??? The codiene based painkillers dull the pain in a different sort of way - I know because I have to take both and have done for many years - Codiene based tablets on their own aren't enough for arthritis.
I've been counting the days until my consultation - can't wait to get the ball rolling - but after reading this, I'm suddenly scared to death....! :( Don't get me wrong - I'm glad you raised the point! - But up til now, I was only really thinking about tablets in terms of whether I would need to crush them up or not after surgery!...The way they function in the gut didn't really occur to me..which seems silly now.
Oh dear, very worried.... :(

Like I said I have no idea how NSAIDs would affect you post op if you go for the sleeve. Talk it through with your surgical team.

At two years plus out the pain in my neck and knees has reduced to a level where paracetamol and codeine can cope, but there are other stronger pain meds that they can prescribe that I haven't needed.

Make sure (If you are not already) they refer you to a pain management clinic that will be able to help you find the right medication and dosage for you.

Apologies for getting myself in such a state yesterday! Lol. That post really caught me off guard, but I am happy to say that (having done some basic research online) it seems that NSAID's ARE allowed with a gastic sleeve - and is one of the reasons people with Arthritis opt for the sleeve in the first place. Thank goodness for that.
Thanks for the reply though. x

I'm glad you'll be able to carry on with your tablets Em.

You can use steroidal anti-inflams, or diazepam for spinal problems.

As for the lanzaprazole, different teams have different rules. I'm on it for life.

I take diclofenac or feldene occasionally, under doctors orders, for arthritis/spinal probs/many other problems. Always with food, for short times, and often on double dose lanzaprazole.

Your rheumatologist should be able to advise you of other options. There are the newer disease modifying drugs for arthritis for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Gosh, i'd forgotten i'd posted this, and have come back to some great replies! Thanks for all your help, the replies have, once again, pushed me in the direction of the sleeve :)

Back