• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any nurses out there?

truffle♥

I was wondering if there are any nurses on here who do 12 hour shifts/ nights long days etc.
I work on ITU 12 hourshifts. Im worried how im going to cope being @ work when on the pre-op diet and post-op and whether i can get enough nutrtiton in and fluids to keep me going.
It sounds like sometimes it takes a long time to eat and i may not have enough time while on break.
Anyones advice/owmn experience would be appreciated.

xx

truffle? said:
I was wondering if there are any nurses on here who do 12 hour shifts/ nights long days etc.
I work on ITU 12 hourshifts. Im worried how im going to cope being @ work when on the pre-op diet and post-op and whether i can get enough nutrtiton in and fluids to keep me going.
It sounds like sometimes it takes a long time to eat and i may not have enough time while on break.
Anyones advice/owmn experience would be appreciated.

xx

Hi, I'm also a nurse working on itu 12 hr shifts! I had my bypass in November and iv lost 9.5 stone since. I did struggle with the pre op diet, I ended up going of sick couldn't manage was dizzy and light headed! I was on clear soup and sugar free jelly! I was off for 3.5 weeks after op, and iv managed fine. Work have been very understanding. I have a water bottle with me in bed space and just need to say if I need a break. I do occasionally get low blood pressure and feel faint. But in general I have no problems I take my own food and stick to things I know go down well. Not the place to try new things! Lol! When is your op? Feel free to ask any questions? Good luck am xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi

I am a acute Midwife and work 12 and 13hr shifts including nights. When i did the pre op diet I started on my day off to get used to things and then made sure that I prepared my lunch and dinner to take with me. I also took my 3 portions of fruit to eat and space throughout the day so it was almost like I was having breakfast around 9.30 - 10 then lunch and then fruit for a snack around tea time, mostly I had my evening meal when I got home from work. I also drank water and squash by the bucket load when I had the chance, I'm sure you are the same as us and sometimes you might get to 6pm having started at 7.30am not having had a drink. It worked for me lost 6kg and only slipped once. Even managed to go for a meal at the Harvester and didn't stray from the pre op diet.

I'm only 9 days post op and don't go back to work until Thursday, but will have a smoothie for breakfast on the way then take soup to be reheated at work. My colleagues are so supportive and will help me if I need it, lucky to work with an amazing group of people.

Just take each day at as it comes on the pre op, that's what I did. The odd day I was ravenous and had some extra chicken or piled my plate with steamed green veg rather than going off the rails and eating things we shouldn't.

Good luck with your journey

Thankyou so much!! It is such a relief to find others in the same situation as it has been worrying me lol.
I have only recently started on ITU and they are a lovely team, however I dont want to tell them what Im doing. They dont know my history of yo-yo dieting and misery with my weight (my old team saw me change uniforms up and down so many times!).
Id just like them to see me have a steady weight loss and then get to know the new slim me !!
However if i dont at the very least tell my managers then Im not going to be allowed to have a drink at my bed space which will be important but then i cant be running off for a wee all the time lol. How do you find that amg, do you need to wee alot lol??
I just cant wait to get on with it, i find work so uncomfortable at the moment, with sore feet, knees out of breath and sweaty lol!!:eek:

Hiya, I work on a stroke unit doing 12.5hr days and nights. I'm pre-op too, so dont have as much to contribute. But I was so worried about the pre-op diet that I decided to do a dummy run for 5 days on slimfast - not as bad as I expected to be honest. The first couple of days I had to keep taking pain killers because I had a constant headache, but didn't incur any loss of energy which was what I was worried about.

truffle? said:
Thankyou so much!! It is such a relief to find others in the same situation as it has been worrying me lol.
I have only recently started on ITU and they are a lovely team, however I dont want to tell them what Im doing. They dont know my history of yo-yo dieting and misery with my weight (my old team saw me change uniforms up and down so many times!).
Id just like them to see me have a steady weight loss and then get to know the new slim me !!
However if i dont at the very least tell my managers then Im not going to be allowed to have a drink at my bed space which will be important but then i cant be running off for a wee all the time lol. How do you find that amg, do you need to wee alot lol??
I just cant wait to get on with it, i find work so uncomfortable at the moment, with sore feet, knees out of breath and sweaty lol!!:eek:

To be honest going to the toilet has not been a big problem. I think because u need the fluid the body uses it not passing it through, I think some pre op diets are easier to manage than others. As I said befor mine was clear soup with no bits and sugar free jelly! I worked out to get around 300 calories a day! I did lose 2.5 stone in that 2 weeks so it defiantly worked. I find work sooo much easier now loads more energy and no aches and pains. I told everyone about my op and all very understanding and supportive at least to my face lol! I think the way the weight came off me peoe would have either guessed or thought I was very I'll. As I say 9.5 stone in 7 months isn't normal. But the best thing I ever did. Weight loss just started to slow down but I can eat anything just in small amounts. Water at bed side is important as you can't drink with meals, so must drink between! When is your op? Have u got a date yet? X

Im going to see the surgeon on Sunday so will hopefully be able to set a date then, cant do it till november due to being able to get time off and ive got a holiday booked for october. So hopefully will be plenty of time to mentally prepare !! xx

truffle? said:
Im going to see the surgeon on Sunday so will hopefully be able to set a date then, cant do it till november due to being able to get time off and ive got a holiday booked for october. So hopefully will be plenty of time to mentally prepare !! xx

Oh good luck let us know how u get on! November is not long away! I did similar had a holiday in October and started pre op diet the day I got back, I was one last blow out! Am xx

Back