• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone had boob reduction on NHS, or know anyone that has?

Sambucca

As some of you know, I have a consultation with an NHS plastic surgeon on 4th October to see if I can get a tummy tuck on the NHS.

I'm fairly hopeful that they will say yes to that as our PCT (Bham East and North) do fund them and I fit the criteria as well as getting constant infections. Trying not to get my hopes up to high though.

However, as this may be my one and only opportunity to discuss plastics with a surgeon, I am going to pluck up the courage to ask for a boob reduction as well.

Even after 8 1/2 stone loss, my boobs are still a G cup, but they hang so low and are empty. I've tried researching and it seems that NHS may fund if they feel they can remove 500g from each side (half a bag of sugar) Im fairly sure Ive got at least that much to come off.

But am I being greedy asking for 2 procedures? Someone I met at our local WLS support group last week said they will only fund one procedure on the NHS now, but if I fit the criteria for both, then why shouldnt I be allowed both?

So, any opinions? Am I being cheeky? Any tips on what to say at the consultation?

I say go for it Sam.. if you don't ask you don't get! Good luck.x

no way your not being cheeky sweets!!! you ve worked so so hard to get this weight off, so its a lil pay back for your hard work! my friend had a boob reduction, and it made a huge differance to her quality of life, she had it on the nhs to........im wishing you luck xxx

Hi Sam,

I don't know of anyone either... but it's right to say ask whilst you have the opportunity... for sure you will then know and be able to move forward....

Good luck on 4th October... not long to wait now.

xxx

no luv its not being cheeky at all - if there causing you problems why shouldnt you ask! i mean... are they causing back ache or anything because there weighing you down? hope you get what you want luv, i seen on telly in america they did they whole lot for her, all over this womans body from saggy legs to saggy arms, tummy tuck, boob lift you name it she had it all in one go! she could hardly move after.... surely if you need it for medical reasons, they should give it you!

Ask Sam i did unfortunately for me he said arms were out the equation so if i want them done i either have to wait until the current climate changes or go private. He never said no to having my legs done but then again he never said yes either. so i am living in hopes that after my lower body lift he might take pity on me. Try Sam you never know i wish you all the luck in the world and hope they will do something to help you. Janey:)

There is nothing wrong with asking Sam or getting it done if he agrees it could be. If its available then get it done I suggest

M

Thank you all for your support. I know that some people may think its a waste of NHS money paying for plastics, but there is no way in the world that I will ever have the money to go private (well not till my kids are grown up anyway) and it really does cause me problems and get me down.

I dont think your being cheeky atall, I think youve worked really hard to get where you are today and if you meet the criteria you should get both :D Good luck x

Hi Sam

Its got to be worth asking but I think - from Ive heard that funding for one op is the norm.

My brothers ex lost 10 stone by diet and exercise and has maintained for quite some time. After 3 pregnancies with 'huge' babies - smallest 12lbs and the weight loss she got the tummy tuck on the NHS.

Her boobs had always been small though and after the weight loss non exsistent. Her PCT would not fund anything further so she paid for them herself.

You never know until you ask!

Good luck x

If you don't ask you don't get....!!!!!!!!!!!!
The likely hood is you will be seeing a surgeon that does private work(as well as NHS)...I would ask if he would get both funded by the NHS..
Take advantage of seeing the surgeon...he may say yes to one but not the other...
If it was me I would ask him to tell me how much it would cost to go privately(if he said no!)
At least you will know what cost your looking at..
I don't think your being cheeky/greedy at all...
Go for it Sam x x x

Reactions: Bev
Thanks all. Mazza, it does seem that the NHS will never consider funding implants (except reconstruction after cancer etc) but that reductions are funded if there is enough to take away. You could get 3 decent pairs out of mine!!

I will ask, and see what happens, but my expectations of them funding the boobs are low to be honest. Lisa, thanks for your suggestion, I may ask him for the cost of private treatment if they say no to NHS, but I really think its out of the realms of possibility for me to ever get the money together.

Never say never Sam...
I know that if you want something bad enough you can make it happen....(if this site has taught me anything it is that)
I know where your coming from on the money side of things...I am sure I will be in the same predicament in a few years time myself....
but at least you are getting an opportunity to ask what was involved with both procedures and how much they cost.
I wish you all the luck for your up and coming appointment...
xx

Sam it is a fact that losing all the weight you have, and that WLSurgery patients will have loose skin, and I think it should be classed as part of the job, to have the plastics done aswell. I really think you should go for it girl, I know of folk that have been there and had x2 x3 lots of plastics, so they do, do it..... I am hoping for breast inplants as I now have NOTHING at all, just empty skin... but i desperately need my bum and legs doing so let us know how you go Honey, and all the best!! Oh and where you going and who??

Thanks all. Angie, I agree with you - it should be part of the procedure when they give us WLS as its inevitable for most of us that there will be some loose skin.

Its a Mr Titley Ive been referred to at the QE.

If it helps sway the decision i don't mind having a breast transplant from you Sam, i don't have a lot (never have) and the little i've got i swear is going :(...

Seriously i wish you well and if you fit the criteria i don't see why they shouldn't do the two proceedures at the same time under the one anaesthetic xx

Sam my friend Adele (the prison officer that came to the readings) she had a boob reduction on the NHS as they were causing her back problems and with her job they got in the way :) you go for it and ask I no I would if I were you.

I have been referred to Walsall Manor for mine dont no if thats a good or bad thing but they lost my referral and my GP have faxed it over 5 times and they still said they didn't get, it was sent to the fast track system in the end, heres hoping we both get what we wish for cuz im sick of drowning in a pool of flesh yuk :)

Good luck for Monday, text me and let me no how you got on :)

Thanks hun and yes, I hope we both get what we wish for. I will definitely text and let you know on Monday x

Back