• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone having a sleeve Aug 2013?

How are all you Aug sleevers getting on? I am 4 days out I am still struggling with pain and drinking is difficult. Anyone further out than me? How are you doing?

I'm 9 days and and loving my sleeve. Not loving my staples and dressings though which I'm slightly allergic to, but are coming out tomorrow.

Wahhhhh 3 days to go! I wish it would hurry up! I am not nervous or scared at all! I can't say I'm excited either but just very indifferent! I'm sure I'll feel a bit worse when I leave work today as I'm off till after my op now!

Hi Hargs and other August Sleevers.

Hope you are all feeling OK. I am now 16 days post-op and here's what's been happening since my last update: http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-gastric-sleeve/153926-gastric-sleeve-post-op-update.html

Since day 6 I have experienced a few days of the runs (sorry if that is TMI) but have found that Imodium usually clears that up pretty pronto. I have really struggled these last few days with the fluid diet, even the thought of another shake or soup makes me feel very nauseous. I am suffering quite a lot from acid reflux, I take Lansoprazole for that and am hoping it will improve sooner rather than later.

I also developed an infection in two of my incision sites so have been on antibiotics for that, which made me feel even more nauseous. This has all cleared up now and I was able to get my staples out on Monday - yippee! My abdomen is much more comfortable now and I can sleep on my left hand side.

On the positive side, I am still glad I have had the operation done. I have lost 12lbs since the op (22lbs altogether). I am feeling stronger every day and managed to survive returning to work this week! I am still walking nearly every day and am up to just over 2 miles now.

All the best to everyone :) x

Hargs,
My op was at the Countess of Chester with private company phoenix. I'm eating purees from day one so I'm eating homemade meals that I prepped beforehand. Things like shepherds pie, curry, chilli & soup. Also big soups and healthy ready meals.
Must admit that I've eaten a few solids... Half a slice of ham, a few canned peach slices. All have stayed down easily. So I'm in a happy place having lost 1st7lb inc pre op. How about you?

I did not realise they did surgery in Chester until recently I am in Liverpool so might have been easier to go there. Anyway, I am in full liquids for 4 weeks, I have just discovered that iced water goes now easier. I had some milk before and struggled quite a lot with it. I might try soup later but I am really worried about throwing up.

You have done so well with your weight loss well done! I take it you are getting on ok with everything? X

Hargs, phoenix the company that did my op (funded by nhs) have centres in Aintree as well. Nevermind ;)
I think I'm having a particularly easy recovery so don't get dispirited if you're having problems with liquids.
Are you adding milk powder to your milk? My provider recommends this as it doubles the protein content.

Suzeward, no I can't get milk down its too thick. I managed a couple of tablespoons of clear soup and feel sick. So worried I won't recover without getting anything in x

Hargs, are you taking your vitamin and calcium supplements? They'll help a lot. Did you speak to your dietician about alternatives? You're only 4 days out so don't rush it I'd say. Have you considered watering down milk? remember fluids are the most important thing so keep drinking water and it will get better as the inflammation goes down. X

I have had a multivitamin syrup today and I have managed my pain meds - they are quite a challenge as they taste disgusting. I am managing thin liquids but they have to be hot or cold - of it is room temp it's harder to handle. I just hope things keep getting better. Do I know how long it takes for the sleeve to properly heal so that it won't leak? Sorry for all the questions

At least you're getting your vitamins down so that will help you heal.

Sorry I don't know how long it takes for the sleeve to completely heal. If you find out let me know. My surgeon did say that it is very unlikely to leak after you've left the hospital. That's based on past surgery results I guess. But then my provider will have different 'success' ratings to yours... that's my way of saying that I've no real idea. Obviously its not leaking when you leave hospital as they inject a coloured dye while we're on the table to check for leaks.
But your stomach may still be inflammed and have very little capacity which is why you're finding it difficult, and the opening from the oesophagus to the stomach may be swollen making it difficult to get the liquid into your stomach?

Are you still suffering from wind? Are you still in a lot of pain?

The wind is getting less day by day. It's a lot better today but my incisions are tender. I am finding that I need to burp a lot when I drink anything. Yeah I heard the same about the leaking but my surgeon was adamant that I could only have full liquids for four weeks. I need to contact the dietitian tomorrow and speak with him/her about it. I did not have any pain meds after leaving the hospital yesterday and I was very uncomfortable sleeping so I decided to keep on too of them today and I have had two doses.

My incisions were awful, and I got fed up and took the staples out myself today. One day early, but they're much better out than in. The itching has stopped and the red swelling is going right down. So look forward to that!
I'm not feeling the ruminations in my tummy so much anymore, but I'm still burping discretely every time I drink. And I do know it when I try to eat something that doesn't agree with me (scrambled eggs/beans). But I think that's mainly cos it was too early.

What meds are you on? Last week I was taking 2 codeine at bedtime because of the incision pain. That was tiny tablets.

Wow you r brave I could not have taken those out myself. I have glue. I have effervescent co-codamol have u ever heard of anything so stupid- I have to let the fizz go out of them then take them. I have anti sickness and some fast tab lanzoprazole

What can I sat, I manned up to the job! I'm very a determined woman.
If they taste anything like the soluble paracetamol then you have my sympathy, I had to stop taking those cos they were so foul. I used normal paracetamol caplets that I could break in half and swallow with a sip of water. I take it that would be impossible for you :(
I also have lanzo, also fragmin injections for blood clots. I'm having most trouble with the soluble forceval cos it makes me want to vomit. Boo!

You could go to your GP and ask for a liquid painkiller. I had liquid ibuprofen whilst in hospital, it tasted better than the soluble paracetamol, but it wasn't a glass of wine!

Ha ha yeah I bet it tasted better tho. These taste like soluble paracetamol. Might try and crush normal ones on a spoon tho that's what I am doing with my anti sickness tabs. I did think about getting some calpol x

The nurses mixed them with orange juice & water which apparently made them taste better. I didn't agree, but others did. Maybe worth a try? mmmm Calpol, although the NAS versions are foul too according to my kids!

Back