• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone Having surgery/ going to have surgery at Homerton Hospital?

TrulySlim

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie to this site. I want to give a brief overview on what stage I am in regards to WLS.

To start with I am intrested in and want to have Gastric Sleeve (VSG) surgery as I am 5'6" (I've been saying im 5'7" for at least 10 years now..lol) and I'm around 22st 3/4/5lbs depending and I have PCOS.

So the first steps I took was to go to my GP and I explained to her that I wanted WLS and I backed that up with a whole lot of past medical History (PMH) and my diet.

She then told me that, she would need to check if I would get funding if I was to apply; so she said that I should book another appointment and she'll get back to me.

I did book for an appointment the following week, and we filled in the referral form for WLS, and my BMI was 50.1. So according to the NICE guidelines, I should be able to get WLS even without having any sort of co-mobidities.

The referral form was sent on the 28/09/13 and I received a letter from Homerton Hospital on the 18/10/13.

On the letter, they gave me an two appointments; one in November '13 and another in February '14.

Appointment One: November '13 - Pre-Surgery appointment at the Bariatric Clinic (Whole Day)

Appointment Two: February '14 Pre-Surgery Appointment with Dr Kalpana Devalia.

Can someone tell me what happens at these appointments?
I'm so anxious and I can't wait to have this Op. I can't stop watching youtube videos and looking a testimonials.
How long does it take to get an Op date?
You can give many another info which is relevant for Homerton Bariatric patients.

los in it

hello and welcome,i too am waiting to go to homerton early 2014 so i wish you luck.

los in it

no worries .im seeing a mr mannur and his team for 2 appointments 1st in early feb next in march fingers x i will get a date for my band.im lead to believe homerton tend to do gastric bands more but your team may provide other options .click on
Homerton: Obesity surgery
its on the homerton hospital website you may find it helpful i see the team are listed and you may see your team person on it .anyway hope it of some use to you.

TrulySlim

When you get your first pre-surgery appointment, do they require you to lose weight? Or is it after your consultation with the surgeon?

G'G

When you get your first pre-surgery appointment, do they require you to lose weight? Or is it after your consultation with the surgeon?

My weight was taken in my first appointment by the dietician/nurse this was recorded as my start weight. They advise to not try to lose weight before this appointment. As it will not count towards your 5-10% excess weight loss.

TrulySlim

My weight was taken in my first appointment by the dietician/nurse this was recorded as my start weight. They advise to not try to lose weight before this appointment. As it will not count towards your 5-10% excess weight loss.

Phew... Oh okay, that's good.

So do you have to lose the 5-10% before the next appointment? Is that when they give you a date or...?

G'G

No 5-10% before a date can be arranged is what she told me but the wait from the first appointments to the MDT meeting is pretty long (that is the stage I'm at). My first appointments were on the 14th October.

I'm still currently waiting for the MDT to meet as soon as my sleep results are back to discuss my surgery, but I phoned NHS England regarding my case and funding and they said that as long as Homerton are happy to do surgery, funding is assured already due to you meeting the criteria for referral in the beginning.

G'G

Yes I am/was the same. :)

Everything seems to take so long tho, at least we're on the right path I suppose.

los in it

I forgot to add mr.mannur was the guy on the c5 programme about saving the 70 stone man .he seems to be a great guy.a friend of mine had him do her operation and said the same.