• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

April 2014 Surgeries

Big Dave D

I completely missed this thread, but I was also an April baby, for the record!

16th April, St Mary's, Paddington, Surgical Innovation Centre.
Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
Consultant - Mr Ahmed R Ahmed.
Surgery performed by Mr Krishna Moorthy. (Senior Consultant and Lecturer, Imperial College London)

princess4d4

how we doing april oppers we dont seem to catch up on here like the other months do so thought i would enquire after everyone

canjam

Hi Everyone
Hope you are all well and loosing lots!
In terms of recovery, I feel fantastic back to being a busy mummy!
In terms if weight loss, I really thought I would be loosing more than I am! At times I feel disappointed as I compare myself to others but then I total my overall loss and feel very proud of myself.
I have had a stubborn 2kgs to bring me into the to 100kg that just will not move! But I'm enjoying the anticipation of the looming occasion!
24/03/14 preop 118kg
08/04/14 op 111kg
02/06/14 102kg

Food: I now realise how much I was eating and feel quite ashamed but love my new tool!
Eating 3 small meals a day and a couple of snacks. I'm very lucky as I can tolerate most foods.

princess4d4

did you check measurement as you could be losing there and not pounds i do mine every 4 weeks and though im only 7 weeks post op at 4 weeks i was 16 inches down might be worth checking

Stacey83

I'm 30 April sleever and I'm struggling and still being sick everyday when I try do purees so I'm on a strange diet of soups, shakes, yoghurt and surprisingly protein bars- for some reason I can keep these down!

Loss so far including pre op diet 21kg, I know this is a lot but I feel a bit disappointed and like it should be more, I have to stop comparing myself to others and weighing everyday, it's driving me mad.

I had my return to work meeting with occupational health yesterday and they were very supportive but won't have me back until I'm able to hold down food as it's an old building with not many toilets and they're worried about vomiting and diarrhea at work and getting caught short. I have 6 months full sick pay as I am a civil servant which is theoretically great but I'm going crazy at home, so BORED!

I've had diarrhea since day 5 post op so my hospital team have told me to go lactose free for a few days to try and settle my tummy.

Did my first gym workout on Monday, it was hard but good and I'll go again tomorrow.

That's my April update!

Stacey xx

princess4d4

so sorry your having a rough time stacey hope it settles soon and you can get back to work i was bypassed and other than constipation i wouldnt even know i had surgery

Stacey83

Hello April peeps, how's everyone getting on this week? Anyone reached any milestones or have any insights to share?

Big Dave D

Hello April peeps, how's everyone getting on this week? Anyone reached any milestones or have any insights to share?

Hi Stacey,

I'm RNY bypass; 16th April.

I hit my 4 stone milestone this week, which was nice!

Still losing weight, but at a greatly reduced pace now. Losing isn't gaining, so I'm cool with that.

I was 114.0kg yesterday, the lightest I've been since about 1993. Previously, the lowest I ever reached was 116.2kg. I've lost 26.5kg so far, or 58lbs 7oz, or 4 stone 2 lbs.

I did some experimenting yesterday, found my pouch limits and also found that I cannot eat egg and bacon sarnies, or pizza. No great loss there then really.....!

How are the rest of us April oppers' doing?

Dave...xx

princess4d4

Hi stacey I bypassed on 16th april from then to now lost 2 stone and 29 inches doing fab been lucky no pains no dumping just the damn constipation driving me nuts hope ur doing better now

Stacey83

Thanks for sharing guys!

So, I was sleeved on 30 April and my pre op heaviest was 147kg in Jan this year (23stone) pre op diet starting weight 143.4kg, day of op 137kg and today 125.4kg (19st 6lb)

I have been stuck on 125.4kg all week and it's driving me mad. I'm doing so much exercise and it won't budge.

Turns out all my vomitting and diarrhoea was from lactose so I'm now off dairy to settle my tummy and meat and fish is also causing havoc so I've basically been vegan all week which has been interesting and also REALLY hard to get down enough protein. I'm hitting about 40g per day but should be aiming for 60-80g so I might try poached chicken again later although worried it might break my 3 days no puking streak!

I'm still off work, occupational health are being very cautious and don't want me back until I'm 100%. I was getting really bored but now I've turned it into me time and it's all about exercise. I've been walking like a mad woman, going to gym and doing cardio and free weights and yesterday went to my local outdoor Lido and did backstroke to try and tone up bingo wings etc then sunbathed for the afternoon.

That's where I'm at, anyone else hit a stall? Maybe I'm dropping inches this week, I've lost my tape measure so haven't done post op measurements but have gone from a size 22/24 waist to a size 18 although I still have huge thighs and upper arms.

My relationship has also fallen to bits post op ans I'm now in this for me on my own which is almost a relief!

So many changes in a couple of months... 2014 is a year of change!

Stacey xx

princess4d4

Im 8 weeks post op not been bad lost 2 stone and 29 inches in that time not stalled but some weeks just 1 or 2 pound loss others 6 or 7 pound

Stacey83

Thanks Dave, although I'm now regretting being a daily weighing girl! I'm obsessed. I'm still stuck and I took lactulose on the off chance I was constipated and I've been drinking strong coffee to get things moving if that's the case but I'm still bloody stuck! So frustrating! I am doing 800 - 1000 calories a day, exercise etc... It's just not working for me this,week. ARRRRRRGH!

Big Dave D

Thanks Dave, although I'm now regretting being a daily weighing girl! I'm obsessed. I'm still stuck and I took lactulose on the off chance I was constipated and I've been drinking strong coffee to get things moving if that's the case but I'm still bloody stuck! So frustrating! I am doing 800 - 1000 calories a day, exercise etc... It's just not working for me this,week. ARRRRRRGH!

You're not alone huni - there's loads of us that daily-weigh. It's not an obsession, more a control thing. It's easier to make smaller daily adjustments to get things moving, than once a week thus requiring a big change.

If it's any consolation, I've been at this new weight for 4 days now...... I'm like you, around 800kcal a day. I can't manage more than that.

We'll get there - don't despair. xx

Jaywill

Hi guys Im 11 days post op... (Bypass).. just a bit worried why is my weigh loss so slow, when im taking in soooo little liquid. Im on the liquid stage and have only lost 5kg so far since the op.. Think I expected the same results as when I did my sleeve back in 2009.. where I was losing a stone a week. The thing is as well...I don't really feel restriction just a bit of pain more so if I drink water, im never hungry though and limit my intake to 600 cals a day! really hope I didn't do this bypass in vain....:(

princess4d4

The loss will vary jay im 2 month post bypass on about 700 calories a day some days less im losing a stone a month but a lot of inches also in my 2 months im 2 stone 3 pound and 29 inches down it will happen at a steady pace once you are more settled into a proper eating exercise routine

Big Dave D

Jay...I'm the same as princess...2 months and 2 days post-op. I average 700-800kcal daily.

During the first two weeks, my weight loss was pretty slow, then went into hyperdrive. It's slowed now and I've lost 4 stone 10lbs so far.

Restriction won't kick-in until 8-12 weeks post-op, once you've had time to heal and all the nerves in your pouch kick back in.

Keep your fluid intake up - that helps, but drink slowly.

Wishing you all the best.

David

Stacey83

Hi April buddies

Some little questions...

Just wondering if anyone has experienced hair thinning yet? I seem to be losing a lot in the shower and my hairbrush!

Also, skin - what are you doing to look after saggy skin, stretch marks etc? Does anyone have a daily routine that's working for them? I've only ever really looked after my face with a daily routine and don't know where to start beyond moisturiser!

Did my measurements yesterday, will post them with my next weekly weigh in post. Sad to say the biggest loss is from my bust- 20cm so far!!! Goodbye boobs!

I got clearance to start vitamin pills yesterday so I got Centrum A-Z women and my pharmacist also threw in some strong B vitamin compound from behind the counter. Does this sound right? I worry that the Centrum doesn't have 100% of daily dose of iron and magnesium.

Any help greatly appreciated, off to Homerton support group tonight so I'll ask them too.

Thanks and hope you're all well.
S X