• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

August 2014 Surgeries

Has anyone had any side affects to certain foods yet?

Turns out my new pouch does not like potato products no matter how runny when puréed!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I've been so sick of yogurt and soup that I begged my hubby to make me some scrambled egg and grated cheese yesterday (he cooks eggs much better than me). Anyway, I hadn't even finished the bowl when I got this horrendous pain in my upper chest and then threw up - stomach cramps followed and I kept being sick, so I guess that was my first proper 'dumping' experience :(

I will do I've cooked up quorn mince and made a chilli as it's really high in protein and low in fat the added beans add more protein and fibre so I'm hoping that one works out well because it will help reach my protein target which so far I haven't managed yet!

I tried quorn mince on the purée stage, and I'll say with complete confidence, never again! The texture gets really, really strange once it has been puréed. Let me know how your chili turns out!

I have heard that a lot of people don't cope well with eggs

The chilli idea sounds great for soft food. I have been having it puréed

I tried quorn mince on the purée stage, and I'll say with complete confidence, never again! The texture gets really, really strange once it has been puréed. Let me know how your chili turns out!

The whole purée experience was horrific especially for me who is a texture phobe who hates things touching ect!
Bring on the soft stage!!

The whole purée experience was horrific especially for me who is a texture phobe who hates things touching ect!
Bring on the soft stage!!

Quorn chili is definitely on my soft food list!

I've been so sick of yogurt and soup that I begged my hubby to make me some scrambled egg and grated cheese yesterday (he cooks eggs much better than me). Anyway, I hadn't even finished the bowl when I got this horrendous pain in my upper chest and then threw up - stomach cramps followed and I kept being sick, so I guess that was my first proper 'dumping' experience :(

Maybe it was just a little too early to try egg? I waited till well into my 3rd week after my sleeve, just one egg, very sloppy and no cheese , went slow and was ok, I now add a low fat cheese triangle once cooked, little extra protein. Hope next time you try it stays down x x

Oh that egg experience sounds awful! Im 2 weeks out, another week until i hit the puree for three weeks..
I dont think i can have scrambled egg until the real food stage so will wait until then.
Im dojng well with my sleeve but can only manage tiny amounts still. Im finding chocolate milk is the best for going down. Runny tomato soup tastes good but can only manage a maximum of 100ml before being stuffed!

Well have been on mashed for nearly a week and found I can now tolerate mash but only if it's mixed with gravy!
I found quorn fine so far everything I try seems to work I've had
Cottage pie
Lasagna
Soft white fish
Well cooked meat
Well cooked vegetables
Quorn chilli con carne
Baked beans

4 months out eggs still make me gag, I don't know what it is about them I now find them horrific! In my do not eat category along with anchovies and offal!

Hi guys, I thought I'd update you on my progress because I've been having a few problems.

I will be 3 weeks post sleeve op this Saturday and I started the puree stage last Saturday. I'm finding eating and drinking difficult for the following reasons:

Eating - I hate the look and smell of pureed food. It just looks awful and the texture is horrible. I feel sick before I even start to eat it, so in desperation, I switched to mashing food with a potato masher and have been having mashed potato, banana, mince and well cooked veg.

I still have problems knowing when I'm full and I've been feeling quite sick. The worst thing is the regurging, which happens often after eating.

Drinking - everything I drink either leaves a nasty after-taste or tastes horrible or is too sweet. I've been very worried because I know I'm not drinking enough. I've also noticed that my tongue is very furry.

I called the bariatric nurse at St. Georges today and she explained that my stomach is much smaller than I realise, plus it's still swollen, so if I over eat (which she thinks is the case), the excess food has nowhere to go but back up again. This would explain the regurge problem. She then put me through to Scott the dietician and he was very helpful. He told me that a lot of people cannot stomach the puree stage so mashing the food is fine. He also said that banana is heavy so it will sit in my stomach for longer. every time I eat something that needs more work to process, my stomach will swell along the cut line and the next time, I may not be able to eat as much. As far as scrambled egg is concerned, he said to cook it for as long as possible because quick cooking forces the protein to clump together and is therefore much harder for the stomach to deal with. Slow cooking (about 5 mins) will not clump the protein and will be softer on the stomach. Finally, he believes that I have excess bacteria in my mouth, which would explain the horrible taste, furry tongue and after taste and has suggested that I get an antibacterial mouthwash and use a small amount several times a day, plus chewing sugar free mint flavoured gum will help.

So, to sum up, I'm going to treat the furry tongue, stop eating before I think I'm full, knock the banana on the head and have more muller rice, mince, mashed veg, mash and sliced tomatoes (not cherry as there's too much skin) plus drink lots of milk and I'll report back to let you know what progress I've made.

Here you all are! I tried finding the August lot on my phone and found nothing. I use the laptop and tadar!

Hi guys, I thought I'd update you on my progress because I've been having a few problems. I will be 3 weeks post sleeve op this Saturday and I started the puree stage last Saturday. I'm finding eating and drinking difficult for the following reasons: Eating - I hate the look and smell of pureed food. It just looks awful and the texture is horrible. I feel sick before I even start to eat it, so in desperation, I switched to mashing food with a potato masher and have been having mashed potato, banana, mince and well cooked veg. I still have problems knowing when I'm full and I've been feeling quite sick. The worst thing is the regurging, which happens often after eating. Drinking - everything I drink either leaves a nasty after-taste or tastes horrible or is too sweet. I've been very worried because I know I'm not drinking enough. I've also noticed that my tongue is very furry. I called the bariatric nurse at St. Georges today and she explained that my stomach is much smaller than I realise, plus it's still swollen, so if I over eat (which she thinks is the case), the excess food has nowhere to go but back up again. This would explain the regurge problem. She then put me through to Scott the dietician and he was very helpful. He told me that a lot of people cannot stomach the puree stage so mashing the food is fine. He also said that banana is heavy so it will sit in my stomach for longer. every time I eat something that needs more work to process, my stomach will swell along the cut line and the next time, I may not be able to eat as much. As far as scrambled egg is concerned, he said to cook it for as long as possible because quick cooking forces the protein to clump together and is therefore much harder for the stomach to deal with. Slow cooking (about 5 mins) will not clump the protein and will be softer on the stomach. Finally, he believes that I have excess bacteria in my mouth, which would explain the horrible taste, furry tongue and after taste and has suggested that I get an antibacterial mouthwash and use a small amount several times a day, plus chewing sugar free mint flavoured gum will help. So, to sum up, I'm going to treat the furry tongue, stop eating before I think I'm full, knock the banana on the head and have more muller rice, mince, mashed veg, mash and sliced tomatoes (not cherry as there's too much skin) plus drink lots of milk and I'll report back to let you know what progress I've made.

Aw hopefully that will help you! I don't like the purée either!! It's not the nicest thing to look at!

Xx

I will be three weeks out on Tuesday and start puree Thursday, only six days! Yyeeyy.
I have been told to start with thicker soup and yoghurt and weetabix with lots of milk before moving on to puree food after two weeks.
Im looking forward to thicker soup.
I have steadily lost weight and have dropped two dress sizes going down to a 14 now. My old clothes have been coming out, yippee.
At least we are all doing well.

I have been using listerine mouthwash twice a day, its very strong but does the trick.

Was comparing pictures of before and after! The left pic was taken pre op! And the right was taken on Saturday when I was off to a wedding it's been two month to the day since I started my pre op diet! I'd got frustrated that I didn't suddenly look skinny but when I compare these pictures it just shows you how much you don't notice! So take from this girls take lots of pictures!! It really helps with the motivation! image-4016493987.jpg Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Wow - you look fabulous x

Was comparing pictures of before and after! The left pic was taken pre op! And the right was taken on Saturday when I was off to a wedding it's been two month to the day since I started my pre op diet! I'd got frustrated that I didn't suddenly look skinny but when I compare these pictures it just shows you how much you don't notice! So take from this girls take lots of pictures!! It really helps with the motivation! Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery
Wow that's fantastic well done:)

Such a short time and such a big difference!!! :) so cant wait to see your transformation after a year! :)

Was comparing pictures of before and after! The left pic was taken pre op! And the right was taken on Saturday when I was off to a wedding it's been two month to the day since I started my pre op diet! I'd got frustrated that I didn't suddenly look skinny but when I compare these pictures it just shows you how much you don't notice! So take from this girls take lots of pictures!! It really helps with the motivation! View attachment 13460 Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

You look fab Lauren and so much younger.

Back