• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Baby Food

Windy Pants

I am having a band on Valentines day, fitted in Belgium.
And have looked on here to try and find an answer to whether baby foods are an option for the sloppy weeks?

I did ask my WLS nurse and she said fine but do I trust her?

As I work 12 1/4 hour shifts it would be easier if i had a pre packaged food with me at work for no faffing (is that a word) about?

I will be taking multi vits.

Hi not enough goodness for a wls patient,peeps have asked before,its best left for babies!Make some homemade soups and casseroles with best protein and blend.You would get loads of meals from one dish.Maz x

Yes, I agree - the advice I received from the hospital was not to eat baby food as it doesn't contain the right nutrition for us.

Have you tasted baby food recently? Yeeukk!

Thanks for the advice ladies, I had tried searching on here for "baby food" but the search never brought back an answer.

It was an easy option for work lol. Never mind.

I've just started a thread about post op pack lunches, maybe we could include sloppy stage in that? Still think pureeing 'normal' food and freezing in batches is the way to go. I have already started collecting containers LOL

Hi Windy Pants, I use Heinze Cream of Tomato, Cream of Chicken and Cream of mushroom tinned soups.
But with the Chicken and Mushroom sieve the bits out first then put in sealable plastic beackers

Seen that Daisy. Thanks

I have looked at the soup options and is probably the route I may take

Yup, as everyone else says, baby food is no good, it doesn't have the correct nutritional content we need. You want something high protein, low fat/low carb, so your best bet it to get cooking...soups, broths, stews etc & whisk it down into varying consistencies for the different stages you need, and freeze it down into small portion sizes (I used ice-cube trays...perfect). I did all that before I went in & had my op, so I had loads of different things to choose from afterwards xxx

I have been collecting mince pie dishes from all and sundry ready to use to freeze stuff in!

Dont do too much stuff as you will probably find your taste changes post op......I dont eat hardly anything that I ate pre-op :D Soups are best I would say, but I managed fine with tinned soups...when I went onto purees I blended down Heinz big soups and it was nice. :D XX

I had a few jars in for post op - the savoury ones were horrid, and the sweeter ones, pureed fruit etc were fine. So long as your not solely reliant on them and you have plenty of other things in your diet - I personally believe there can be a place for them post op.
HTH
Sal

Hi, as you are going to be a bander I thought I would give you a banders perspective.

I was never given any advice for or against baby food but I can see how convenient it may seem. However they contain no seasoning of any sort so sound appealing but are very bland.

As a bander you will probably find your tastes dont change that much and on the puree stage its not so much about protein. Banders dont need as much as bypassers as we dont malabsorb.

When you get to the puree stage you might be able to eat upto 6 tablespoons (not at first though!) so ice cube amounts will not go very far unless you make loads. Good choices if ready meals are going to be more convenient would be an ocean pie, sheppards pie etc with all lumps squashed or pureed. One of favourites was parsley sauce with mash (made more moist than usual).

Have a look at the recipies on the sticky thread for some more ideas too.

Good luck! x

Thanks Mazza and everyone else,

I did ask the nurse about adding flavourings (read: curry powder lol) to take away the blandness and she said that was okay.

I will ask again about baby foods.

Last edited:
Why not try some before the op, be awful if they were awful post op and you had nothing else!

i was advised by the dietician at the hospital that baby food was ok for the early stages as you wont need as much protein at first. I had them and found just by adding a little salt it made them more palletable . They obviously wont be any good later on and they wouldnt be enough anyway but i found one jar filled me right up.

Back